October 16, 2019, 11:25:02 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 268072 times)

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2015, 10:56:16 AM »
 >:(
 :(

Hope everyone you know is all right, Nora.
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2015, 08:55:25 PM »
It's truly awful, I'm sure you'll hear from your cousin soon Nora, hope you and your family/friends are holding up.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2015, 11:48:26 PM »
Henry, please check the news.

I woke up to that (my alarm is BBC4) and I was horrified :'(
The 'things' who do these can't be called people, they don't even deserve to be called 'animals' because animals attack to survive.
And now they're dead, so they can't bloody suffer anymore.

But what can you do to stop them? Generalisation (of race, religion or nationality) will be the worst consequence...
Oxygen thieves are the words I use, Bea. I just don't understand their thinking, what do random acts of violence against everyone (even the people they purport to be representing get caught up in what they do) accomplish? My heart goes out to the people of Paris. We were there last year and stayed quite close to where a lot of this took place.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2015, 12:10:26 AM »
Henry, please check the news.

I woke up to that (my alarm is BBC4) and I was horrified :'(
The 'things' who do these can't be called people, they don't even deserve to be called 'animals' because animals attack to survive.
And now they're dead, so they can't bloody suffer anymore.

But what can you do to stop them? Generalisation (of race, religion or nationality) will be the worst consequence...
Oxygen thieves are the words I use, Bea. I just don't understand their thinking, what do random acts of violence against everyone (even the people they purport to be representing get caught up in what they do) accomplish? My heart goes out to the people of Paris. We were there last year and stayed quite close to where a lot of this took place.

The problem is precisely that none of this is random. We're not a peaceful country.
Every since the first Sarkozy gvt, we've been following the States in Any and Every campaign they've wrecked the middle east with. We followed officially out of political solidarity and for our politic's own interest.
The fact is that we've been spending hundreds of thousands of Euros in bombing Syria. After we laid waste to Lybia... We're still involved in Syria today. Not by any wish of the people mind you...

I still have had no news of my cousin, but no bad news either, so I'll keep assuming that no news is good news so far. Everyone else is safe, just shocked for most, since my step mom works at the stadium that was bombed and my best friend lives a street away from the shootings and was luckily visiting a friend for diner as they started.

I'm just shocked and angry, really, at the ongoing political reaction spreading like wildfire. Ministers are calling to us french to be strong and united, while they go AT WAR against that terrorist group, intensify bombings on Syria, yet acknowledge it's this very involvement that got us under the interest of terrorists, all in the same paragraph of their speeches.
They say they'll strike back. Solving war-brought problems with more war, while we're in deepening economical crisis and social unrest.
The whole country shut borders and is in emergency state, giving the gvt all the powers to do a lot of illegal things for our good.
That's nice and all, but it includes things like forbidding any protest or even peaceful homage gathering in the whole parisian area (over 12 million people) until at least wednesday. And so they make rash political decisions now already, while we're still looking out for our friends and families, and forbidden to gather.
We don't have a word to say. It's disgusting.

Just a day prior to our attacks there was a huge suicide bomb in Syria that also did many dead, and no one cares anymore. Worse, many Syrians have been fleeing to us. We're so strained it's always been tense with the recent flows of immigration, but one of the terrorist was registered as an immigrant in Greece, with a Syrian passport.
Guess what happens next? We'll be vilifying and amalgamating people who precisely tried to flee the same types of terror at home.
It's just sick, and instead of backing off and opting out of all these conflicts, calling our troops home and saving them and money to make it better at home and help refugees, we're going to get deeper in, dig our debt so we can kill more, and feed the terrorists with exactly what they want.
After all it's a backlash that they need, to strengthen their gibberish. More aggression from the West my brothers! See how they bomb us! - Right.

I don't feel like I'm a democratic citizen in such instances, when WE bleed in our streets and we never get a single say about how WE want to react.
I just feel so sad, because we've been doing - unwittingly - so much harm, that I can't sing like a wronged victim. What is it to me that people died a district away from where I lived, since it happened because we killed their people by the thousands? How is a kalachnikov any fairer than a plane-dropped bomb? There are no excuses or justifications to terrorism, it's morally wrong on every angle. But what of the french air strikes? Was that fairer?

So yeah, I'm angry, darker times are coming, and it's more motivations to keep out of my own country.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2015, 11:07:57 AM »
(not replying directly to Nora)

Some ideas:
Stop advertising them.
Say 'a bomb went off in X place', give details if you must, don't mention by whom.
Only advertise events related to people - if the news didn't make such a fuss of the archeological destruction, would they have bothered? yes, it touches me deeply, but if being hidden will protect them, I'd rather not know.
Restrict news to facts, stop mentioning potential reasons (those will also always be reasons for other people to join them).
Restrict the official (ie on TV and official news sites) reporting of opinions and discussions.
They want attention, let's stop giving them that.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2015, 11:30:15 AM »
I don't think it's realistic because the people want the reasons. We all look behind the act, crave to dig out the "Why?" - that's the whole point of my story in the works really, it's almost funny.
Some want to understand because they're concerned, others because they're morbidly curious. Aren't we all? Isn't it the basis of our entire judiciary system, to understand in exact detail what happened, and the perpetrators' self justifications, so we can judge better?

I also think that creating such murder and mass chaos is their own self reliant form of advertisement.

But I definitely agree on the report of discussions, opinions, and worse : decisions. I'd bet you my savings that a lot of ugly, restrictive laws and decisions will be passed in the coming weeks, while the people are shocked enough to accept them. It's a political classic.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2015, 12:14:58 PM »
The problem is that France and the other western countries react exactly as the terrorists want.

It wasn't accidentally that that (fake) Syrian passport was found.

If the refugees and the Muslims in general become more stigmatized they're more open to the terrorists radical propaganda...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2015, 12:15:51 PM »
When I'm home in a few hours I can move all this to the politics thread. Is that okay with you?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2015, 12:24:22 PM »
When I'm home in a few hours I can move all this to the politics thread. Is that okay with you?
That's a good idea. I've probably dampened the mood with my rant >_<

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2015, 12:31:20 PM »

The rant was fine. It's a complex set of issues with terrible consequences on all sides.

I started just now to write some of my views on it all, and quickly found that I'm not confident of any of the "facts" on which I base them. So I deleted them.

Peace for all, is my prayer.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2015, 12:33:50 PM »

Xia, yes, I was thinking about it, and Nora, not at all - some things have to be said, shows we're human
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rostum

« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2015, 03:03:10 PM »
Hmmm American Democracy, and I thought we did it badly.

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/7034693/why-the-electoral-college-ruins-democracy?ref=videos

Loads of important stuff got moved behind this post and now I feel bad.it was following Nora's Trump halloween post.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:50:22 PM by Rostum »

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2015, 03:28:18 PM »
Good news coming from home: adoption by same-sex couples has just been approved in the Portuguese parliament!  ;D
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Hedin

« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2015, 03:38:16 PM »
Good news coming from home: adoption by same-sex couples has just been approved in the Portuguese parliament!  ;D

This is something that has always bothered me.  There are more kids (at least in the US, not sure about elsewhere but would imagine it would be about the same) who are awaiting adoption but yet we're not allowing perfectly capable people adopt and give them a good home.  I mean I know all of the BS arguments people use to try to justify their discrimination but to me its something that should have been done a long time ago.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2015, 05:31:54 PM »
Back to the gun control issue Prof. Jaun Cole on firearm ownership and related murders in the USA.
Interesting numbers if correct but I make no supporting claims for accuracy. On the subject of alternate energy he has published what amounts to propaganda in the past.

http://www.juancole.com/2015/11/156549.html