October 17, 2019, 04:44:37 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 268220 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2015, 01:30:13 PM »
Enough about tofu  ;), let's get back to politics.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/free-future/chinas-nightmarish-citizen-scores-are-warning-americans

The comparisons are between China and the U.S., and all the comments are jeremiads that terrible things are happening in the U.S. But I suspect there's interesting things to consider for all nations.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2015, 01:36:58 PM »
Enough about tofu  ;) , let's get back to politics.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/free-future/chinas-nightmarish-citizen-scores-are-warning-americans

The comparisons are between China and the U.S., and all the comments are jeremiads that terrible things are happening in the U.S. But I suspect there's interesting things to consider for all nations.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2015, 03:45:45 PM »

I'm not sure if it's a Sci-fi geek thing or an RPG nerd thing, but the first thing I do mentally when reading that is think of all the amazing ways to troll and hack the system.  Make a fake persona -- get a bunch of the "right people" to friend you, then publish a massive anti-government screed and watch their "citizen scores" tank.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2015, 03:49:43 PM »

I'm not sure if it's a Sci-fi geek thing or an RPG nerd thing, but the first thing I do mentally when reading that is think of all the amazing ways to troll and hack the system.  Make a fake persona -- get a bunch of the "right people" to friend you, then publish a massive anti-government screed and watch their "citizen scores" tank.

It's tied to your id though. You'd need a fake id first.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2015, 03:57:17 PM »

personally, i see very little corollary with the united states.  i guess there's a credit score component.  but, no offense, if you have cash and a credit score of .001, there's still absolutely nothing you can't buy.

people in the comments seem to be confusing capitalism and democracy with authoritarianism.  for example:
I HIGHLY suggest you take a look at what people like Anita Sarkeesian and her bunch, the DARLINGS of the media these days, said-and supported-in the recent report from UN Women on "cyberviolence"-and the specific proposals made for its "prevention". That would include censorship by private corporations, enforced by government regulations, and based on whether or not opinions being expressed were deemed "acceptable" under that scheme.

corporate censorship?  not a thing.  if that corporation doesn't sell products people want to buy, it goes out of business because people buy them from someone else.  if there's a market for 'violent misogynistic video games', people will (and do) buy them in frat-boy droves.

*shrug*

if anything, one of the united states' huge issues is the wealth gap and the absolute crushing effect it has on upward mobility.  the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.

there is also some serious privacy business to be concerned with in the united states, but that's more of a 'us digging it out of washington' thing instead of a 'washington puts forth mandates on us' thing.

it is complete and total political suicide to even talk about mandating something like in the article.  if the press gets ahold of anything even remotely nefarious, you're done.  done politically.  done in the history books.  you're like, eternity done.  (see joseph mccarthy)

just ask bill clinton who was impeached(!) for getting a bj.  or howard dean who merely hollered in excitement.  or sarah palin who went 'joe sixpack' on politics.  hillary keeping a private email server is going to cost her the softball, shoo-in presidency she had lined up.  because of that, it's now going to be a landslide victory for bernie over rubio or kasich.

i mean, can you imagine if someone with any legitimate power said "we'd like to make some changes to the first amendment"?  omg.  i can't even imagine the unifying pillory that would happen -- i honestly think they'd literally be burned at the stake.

look at what a ruckus it causes to suggest background checks on guns -- HANDS OFF MY SECOND AMENDMENT BITCHES!!

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2015, 04:01:06 PM »

It's tied to your id though. You'd need a fake id first.

True.  The only real system-hack is to create a hipster/punk culture where having a high score is uncool and square.  The fact that the government is providing real consequences for that is a real barrier, though.

In general, this seems like a rich area for dystopian storytelling.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2015, 08:22:04 PM »

You are aware that China has one of the most comprehensive DNA databases in the world and rumoured to have the worlds least ethical organ donation scheme. They already know too much about their population.

First rule of any database Sh*t in Sh*t out. Provide too much and much of it inaccurate. Social media is ideal for this.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2015, 08:29:09 PM »
If you are easily offended by stuff about religion, don't read this.
Spoiler for Hiden:
About the letting them choose for themselves: That's a bit like religion. Either you get it from an age on where you can't choose or you won't like it later on. ;)

Not at all offended, but also don't completely agree
Spoiler for Hiden:
i understand where you are coming from, but I do think there's a difference. Most all of the people I know that are vegetarian made that decision despite how they were raised or the meat they were fed. I have absolutely no issues with others choosing to raise a child vegetarian, but I also don't think allowing them some meat outside the home will prevent them from making that choice themselves. Also, how do you raise a child to not do something like eat meat when one parent does without coming across as judging the other parent? Maybe I have this attitude precisely because I was not raised vegetarian, maybe the the laxer attitude towards it does mean my kids are less likely to become vegetarian. But, they will at least grow up knowing that meat is not an essential part of a meal.

I understand where you come from too. "Most all of the people I know that are vegetarian made that decision despite how they were raised or the meat they were fed." Absolutely, but I think this step is a lot harder if you got accustomed to it and crave it later on. Some people go back to meat not because their reasons have changed but because they aren't strong enough to resist. Hell, I know that I wouldn't manage vegan (I tried as an experiment for 1-2 months) because I'd miss cheese and sour cream too much.
Our appetite is something primordial and it is incredibly hard to unlearn stuff (or learn new stuff like eating insects). So why should I make it harder for him to live healthy? (Sorry, meat eaters, I'm never preachy but may be polemic from time to time. ;))

I'm not raising him to not do something. There just won't be any meat at home. And of course I'm not being judgmental when my gf eats meat. He can try it if he wants to... :)

I could say that. Were your parents vegetarian? My mum was, but she never even mentioned it to me. There's "not being pushy", and then there's not even talking to your child about something that should be a rather major decision. If she hadn't just fed me meat by default I'm certain I'd have been veggie years earlier. Wish I had been.

Yes, they're both vegetarian (since my birth I think), slowly going towards veganism and my grandma is too.

There is vegan salmon, mouldy salami, drumsticks with fake bone in them, prawns, whole turkeys... It's incredible and I'm not sure I would want to eat all that stuff.

When I first read this I read moldy salami and I couldn't figure out why anyone would eat that.
Mouldy/moldy, that's the same and exactly what I meant. :) Don't you know salami with edible, white mold around it? Like some cheeses?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2015, 08:49:09 PM »
@m3mnoch, I agree the comparisons to the U.S. were a little over the top. I just wanted to make sure we are not just talking about China and the U.S., but also the happy home of cameras on every street corner, England (London, at least as I hear it) and beyond.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Hedin

« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2015, 08:54:22 PM »

You are aware that China has one of the most comprehensive DNA databases in the world and rumoured to have the worlds least ethical organ donation scheme. They already know too much about their population.

First rule of any database Sh*t in Sh*t out. Provide too much and much of it inaccurate. Social media is ideal for this.

I work in logistics and our company stored biological samples from pharmaceutical companies who are running clinical trials.  You cannot get a biological sample out of China as they treat their DNA on the level of a state secret.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2015, 10:28:50 PM »
oh my goodness.  just saw this.  totally hilarious: Study finds Donald Trump's Facebook supporters have the worst grammar

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2015, 10:37:45 PM »
^ Funny ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2015, 10:40:01 PM »
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2015, 11:46:31 PM »
So it's good when the elected leader of your country accuses the leader of the opposition of hating Britain right, as well as a terrorist sympathiser...
Not at all disturbing or McCarthyist.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2015, 11:58:02 PM »
So it's good when the elected leader of your country accuses the leader of the opposition of hating Britain right, as well as a terrorist sympathiser...
Not at all disturbing or McCarthyist.

Welcome to American politics.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky