October 20, 2019, 11:35:51 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 268901 times)

Offline m3mnoch

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2015, 06:11:04 PM »

oh, also, it looks like the world is ending on wednesday.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/06/end-of-world-7-october-ebible-fellowship

At first I thought that said "october-edible-fellowship".
That was really interesting.
You only thought that because you expected some kind of edible merchandise for the Fellowship of the Ring.

Elven Waybread - vegan, non-gmo, organic, but not very great on flavor I'm afraid
'Sall good, I'll put some lettuce and some vegan salami on it and I'll be good to go.  8)

vegan salami?  ew.  i bet that's worse than turkey bacon.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2015, 06:18:28 PM »

oh, also, it looks like the world is ending on wednesday.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/06/end-of-world-7-october-ebible-fellowship

At first I thought that said "october-edible-fellowship".
That was really interesting.
You only thought that because you expected some kind of edible merchandise for the Fellowship of the Ring.

Elven Waybread - vegan, non-gmo, organic, but not very great on flavor I'm afraid
'Sall good, I'll put some lettuce and some vegan salami on it and I'll be good to go.  8)

vegan salami?  ew.  i bet that's worse than turkey bacon.
You'd be astonished. Vegans have a surprisingly good taste.  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2015, 06:40:18 PM »
I bet they don't like Quorn either, Raptori ;)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Hedin

« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2015, 08:22:14 PM »

I had to look up what Quorn was.  I always find it funny that people who don't eat meat will eat meat substitutes.  I know most of those people may have originally liked meat and stopped eating it because of ethical issues rather than taste but still I always find it odd.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2015, 08:46:41 PM »

I had to look up what Quorn was.  I always find it funny that people who don't eat meat will eat meat substitutes.  I know most of those people may have originally liked meat and stopped eating it because of ethical issues rather than taste but still I always find it odd.
Most of the taste of meat comes from the cooking method and the spices. And the texture isn't dissimilar to many other things.  ;)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2015, 10:46:52 PM »

Most of the taste of meat comes from the cooking method and the spices. And the texture isn't dissimilar to many other things.  ;)

i disagree with this.  i will grill you chicken, steak, elk, and duck but without any seasoning or spice.  you will definitely be able to tell the difference in taste and textures.

people who put heavy flavoring or sauces on meat (chicken and pork excluded -- there's a reason they're bbq meats) are not to be trusted.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2015, 10:49:46 PM »

i disagree with this.  i will grill you chicken, steak, elk, and duck but without any seasoning or spice.  you will definitely be able to tell the difference in taste and textures.

people who put heavy flavoring or sauces on meat (chicken and pork excluded -- there's a reason they're bbq meats) are not to be trusted.
I said most of the taste, not all. That's why grilled X has an identifiable "grilled" taste to grilled Y. Sure there are differences, but arguably the most noticeable tastes come from the cooking and seasoning rather than the meat itself.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2015, 11:49:17 AM »

Quorn is quite tasty and it beats tofu and sometimes seitan.

I've never eaten meat (besides fish and prawns) in my life so I never felt the need to substitute something.

There is vegan salmon, mouldy salami, drumsticks with fake bone in them, prawns, whole turkeys... It's incredible and I'm not sure I would want to eat all that stuff.

Having a burger without some kind of patty is wrong, though. So that's about the only thing I substitute. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2015, 11:57:51 AM »
So to all the veggie guys:

What is your take on parenting?
Do you give your kid the same as the rest of the family (vegetarian food) or do you let him/her choose or will you give him/her meat or...?

Just curious because I hear there is often a lot of controversy on that side.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2015, 12:06:49 PM »

Do you give your kid the same as the rest of the family (vegetarian food) or do you let him/her choose or will you give him/her meat or...?

A close friend of mine has been vegetarian since she was a teenager. Her husband's not.
She's got a 3 year old boy, and she decided to give him some meat and fish to eat, even though she doesn't cook it: he eats that at her parents' and nursery, while still eating lovely and nutritional veggie meals at home (I know they're lovely, I eat there a lot, hehe)
But yes, it was quite a hard decision for her.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2015, 12:34:14 PM »

I don't see any health benefits from eating meat (fish excluded) but think there are a great many reasons (animal cruelty, world hunger, antibiotics in meat and so on) to not eat it.
So why should I give it to him when it will only make it harder for him to abstain from it once he can make an educated choice?
That said, my gf eats meat (not much, but from time to time) and her family does, so if he gets it there that's how it is.

If you are easily offended by stuff about religion, don't read this.
Spoiler for Hiden:
About the letting them choose for themselves: That's a bit like religion. Either you get it from an age on where you can't choose or you won't like it later on. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2015, 01:00:44 PM »

Most of the meals we have at home are vegetarian (I don't eat meat or fish, but my husband does). So my kids eat less meat than most. But sometimes my husband will grill something, I'll have a bean burger or a veggie sausage so it I'm having something similar. Outside of home I decided to let my kids decide what they want. Having just one parent that is vegetarian definitely makes it harder to do anything else. Funny thing is my husband was vegetarian when we met and I wasn't, somewhere along the line we swapped, but that works out as he is definitely fine with vegetarian meals which I know plenty of people who would not be.

If you are easily offended by stuff about religion, don't read this.
Spoiler for Hiden:
About the letting them choose for themselves: That's a bit like religion. Either you get it from an age on where you can't choose or you won't like it later on. ;)

Not at all offended, but also don't completely agree
Spoiler for Hiden:
i understand where you are coming from, but I do think there's a difference. Most all of the people I know that are vegetarian made that decision despite how they were raised or the meat they were fed. I have absolutely no issues with others choosing to raise a child vegetarian, but I also don't think allowing them some meat outside the home will prevent them from making that choice themselves. Also, how do you raise a child to not do something like eat meat when one parent does without coming across as judging the other parent? Maybe I have this attitude precisely because I was not raised vegetarian, maybe the the laxer attitude towards it does mean my kids are less likely to become vegetarian. But, they will at least grow up knowing that meat is not an essential part of a meal.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Hedin

« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2015, 01:10:08 PM »

Coming from the opposite angle but I do (at least try to) give my daughter fruits and vegetables.  She doesn't really like the texture of most meats so it's hard to get her to eat some but I can usually cut up some small enough pieces that she'll be able to handle.  I won't ever force her to eat anything but I will always make sure there is some on her plate until she reaches a significant enough age (and at this point in time I have no idea when that would be) that she can really decide for herself.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2015, 01:10:34 PM »
Quorn is quite tasty and it beats tofu and sometimes seitan.
Semi agree - the exception is smoked tofu. Perfect savoury food.

I've never eaten meat (besides fish and prawns) in my life so I never felt the need to substitute something.
I wish I could say that. Were your parents vegetarian? My mum was, but she never even mentioned it to me. There's "not being pushy", and then there's not even talking to your child about something that should be a rather major decision. If she hadn't just fed me meat by default I'm certain I'd have been veggie years earlier. Wish I had been.

On parenting in general, we're not going to have kids, for many reasons.

If we were to have children, we would of course feed them the same as the rest of the family until they're old enough to make their own rational decision about it. We would explain our perspective of course, but we'd try to teach them to think about anything and everything for themselves rather than just take our word for it. If at some point (when old enough) they did decide they wanted to eat animal products, then we wouldn't stop them, but we wouldn't prepare the food for them (or probably eat at the same table in that situation).

I'm completely with xiagan's spoiler though. You were taught that you shouldn't eat dogs - did you decide to do so? The only times I've heard about it are when they just do it to fit in, which is a ridiculous "reason" if I'm honest!

The source of the controversy is that people insist that without meat you cannot be healthy, and that's really a load of bullshit. If anything, you're more likely to eat healthily if you don't eat meat.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2015, 01:20:06 PM »
There is vegan salmon, mouldy salami, drumsticks with fake bone in them, prawns, whole turkeys... It's incredible and I'm not sure I would want to eat all that stuff.

When I first read this I read moldy salami and I couldn't figure out why anyone would eat that.