June 01, 2020, 03:33:06 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 326749 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #3510 on: March 28, 2020, 09:31:37 PM »
Partisan politics have no place in a crisis. Having briefly looked at the bill it appears their are still two types of senators Those who stuff bills with their unrelated special intrests and those who don't. Get rid of the first and your politics will be a lot less murky.

And over here the kind and compassionate on twitter are wishing death on Boris at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 09:52:08 PM by Rostum »

Offline hexa

« Reply #3511 on: April 02, 2020, 09:18:57 PM »
North Macedonia has joined NATO, the north atlantic treaty organization

https://www.defensenews.com/global/europe/2020/03/27/its-official-north-macedonia-becomes-natos-30th-member/

Also, North Macedonia has begun talks to join the European Union

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3512 on: April 03, 2020, 09:32:32 PM »
A strange decision as the EU are doing there 'You're on your own' approach' to the pandemic and a turnaround from their 2019 stance and concerns about the levels of corruption and stability issues with Serbia. Not to mention the rift between the 4 countries who pay in and the 23 who take out.

Anybody got thoughts on Hungary's emergancy measures and how this is in no way compatible with them remaining within the EU?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 12:35:44 AM by Rostum »

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #3513 on: April 05, 2020, 11:43:04 AM »
A strange decision as the EU are doing there 'You're on your own' approach' to the pandemic and a turnaround from their 2019 stance and concerns about the levels of corruption and stability issues with Serbia. Not to mention the rift between the 4 countries who pay in and the 23 who take out.

Anybody got thoughts on Hungary's emergancy measures and how this is in no way compatible with them remaining within the EU?

A friend once shared with me an article explaining Viktor Orban's beliefs and how he rose to power. It was really eye opening and explained a lot about Hungarian politics. Unfortunately, I've forgotten what it was called.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3514 on: April 06, 2020, 04:10:40 PM »
Sorry to bring up such an ugly topic, but does anyone know if anything at all is happening in the whole Jeffrey Epstein thing? Has everyone just accepted that the rich can assassinate someone basically in broad daylight like this? The guy had God knows how many "clients" and helpers, all of which are guilty of crimes. Is there any kind of investigation, and we're just not really hearing about it?
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3515 on: April 07, 2020, 12:12:17 AM »
Sorry to bring up such an ugly topic, but does anyone know if anything at all is happening in the whole Jeffrey Epstein thing? Has everyone just accepted that the rich can assassinate someone basically in broad daylight like this? The guy had God knows how many "clients" and helpers, all of which are guilty of crimes. Is there any kind of investigation, and we're just not really hearing about it?

@Eli_Freysson, check out this podcast:
The Portal, with Eric Weinstein, episode 25 “The Construct” (March 6, 2020)

Weinstein argues that Epstein was a CIA construct: not a billionaire, mainly a form of honey trap for the sick, rich, and powerful. Sound wacko? Maybe. But Weinstein is incredibly brilliant and a definite iconoclast. Always interesting.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3516 on: April 07, 2020, 12:39:35 AM »

@Eli_Freysson, check out this podcast:
The Portal, with Eric Weinstein, episode 25 “The Construct” (March 6, 2020)

Weinstein argues that Epstein was a CIA construct: not a billionaire, mainly a form of honey trap for the sick, rich, and powerful. Sound wacko? Maybe. But Weinstein is incredibly brilliant and a definite iconoclast. Always interesting.

I've heard that before. I try to steer clear of dramatic conspiracy theories, but there is actually some evidence for this one. And if true... yikes. I knew the CIA is basically staffed by people who touch themselves to torture footage, but STILL.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3517 on: April 10, 2020, 08:18:14 PM »
If anyone doesn't know about this initiative you probably ought to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52246319

This was being talked about at least 6 years ago when I still worked in tech. This may seem like a great idea but the potential applications should scare you with 5 minutes thought and once it's here it won't be going away.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3518 on: April 12, 2020, 10:04:49 PM »
My dad just sent me an email about Boris Johnson's speech where apparently he thanked a Portuguese nurse.
So now foreigners are important - not a few months ago when "Brexit had to be done regardless, deal or no deal" ::)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Half a King
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #3519 on: April 12, 2020, 10:12:38 PM »
Someone retweeted the Boris Johnsson article with him saying "I owe the NHS my life," with the reply "No, you owe them £350 million a week."
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3520 on: April 13, 2020, 12:25:33 AM »
Maybe he will remember and not sell the NHS piecemeal to whichever American medical company thinks they can profit out of it.

Offline hexa

« Reply #3521 on: May 12, 2020, 05:32:16 AM »
Billionaire Richard Branson is selling a stake in Virgin Galactic to defend Virgin Airline from bankruptcy

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52596273

Virgin Galactic will be space tourism

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3522 on: May 12, 2020, 03:53:10 PM »
How irrelevent these things seem now. Branson has come through this looking like a bit of an arse from a Uk perspective

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3523 on: May 28, 2020, 07:06:44 PM »
Hmmm call me cynical, but these news of the lockdown ease and being able to meet people seems to have come at the right time to stop people talking about Cummings ::)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Peat

« Reply #3524 on: May 28, 2020, 08:03:53 PM »
Hmmm call me cynical, but these news of the lockdown ease and being able to meet people seems to have come at the right time to stop people talking about Cummings ::)

It hasn't as far as my twitter thread/media browsing is concerned. Hell, the main piece on The Spectator website is "Boris Johnson Isn't Fit To Lead". Maybe it'll go away in a couple more days.

Now, if I was being really cynical I'd suggest not many people are talking about how bad the death rate is here.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/