September 22, 2019, 11:58:58 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 261961 times)

Offline Neveesandeh

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #3270 on: August 25, 2019, 12:15:36 PM »
On that subject, I'm a bit curious about Boris Johnson.

I'm no expert on the man, but I've seen several people describe him as possessed of a blind, burning ambition to be prime minister purely for the sake of becoming prime minister, and he's charging full speed towards Brexit purely because it will sit well with the right demographic.

Would you Brits say that's a fair assessment?

Yes. Without a shadow of a doubt, yes.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3271 on: August 25, 2019, 05:03:40 PM »
Whomever was PM at the moment would be faced with completing a task a large proportion of the UK doesn't want. it makes it hard to represent the country as a whole. That said he has done little to show the world he is a statesman of any calibre. My main concern is having failed to negotiated a deal with Europe he will then sell the nation to America in yet another one sided trade deal forcing sub-standard foodstuffs on us and allowing American firms to carve up the NHS.

After losing the ensuing general election he will swan into a non job in America the way Tony Blair did to make his millions.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3272 on: August 28, 2019, 06:46:11 PM »
And when I thought it couldn't get worse...

(I'm sooo naive ::) )

:'(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: August 28, 2019, 07:47:17 PM »
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice – stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband,”

David Cameron, May 4th 2015 via Twitter
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3274 on: August 28, 2019, 08:14:26 PM »
Uhhh... you Brits, what's this about suspending Parliament to prevent them from interfering with Brexit? Is this legal? Because it doesn't feel legal.

And... what are the benefits of Brexit supposed to be, again? Because every level-headed take on the results I've seen just predicts disaster.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Bender

« Reply #3275 on: August 28, 2019, 08:56:12 PM »
Get ready for a no confidence motion followed by a General Election.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: August 29, 2019, 08:49:06 AM »
I think what you need is Hong Kong style protests...

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #3277 on: August 29, 2019, 09:32:07 AM »
Uhhh... you Brits, what's this about suspending Parliament to prevent them from interfering with Brexit? Is this legal? Because it doesn't feel legal.

And... what are the benefits of Brexit supposed to be, again? Because every level-headed take on the results I've seen just predicts disaster.

It's hard to say what's legal for our government or not, because we technically have no constitution.

Offline Peat

« Reply #3278 on: August 29, 2019, 06:20:01 PM »

It's hard to say what's legal for our government or not, because we technically have no constitution.

Judging from this article - https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2019/08/some-brexiteers-leaving-eu-would-justify-damage-caused-suspending-parliament - and the three legal challenges, its probably not but that's kinda besides the point right now.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3279 on: September 11, 2019, 10:28:31 PM »
Hey, you know those "Goldilocks zone" planets that scientists are so interested in? The ones whose gravity, heat levels and physical makeup are similar to Earth's?

Well... now for the first time they've confirmed the presence of water vapours on one of them.

I mean, this isn't the same as discoverin radio messages or anything, but this is still pretty interesting I'd say.

Offline Bender

« Reply #3280 on: September 12, 2019, 12:22:14 AM »
If there was ever a boat for colonization of distant planets, I'd volunteer. But with no life skills to speak of, I'd probably get rejected.
Not all those who wander are lost

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3281 on: September 12, 2019, 05:25:38 AM »
If there was ever a boat for colonization of distant planets, I'd volunteer. But with no life skills to speak of, I'd probably get rejected.

Surely there is always room for Redshirts. :)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3282 on: September 12, 2019, 07:11:57 AM »
 Ark B for you then @Bender along with the telephone sanitizers,hairdressers and television execs.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: September 12, 2019, 10:16:53 AM »
Hey, you know those "Goldilocks zone" planets that scientists are so interested in? The ones whose gravity, heat levels and physical makeup are similar to Earth's?

Well... now for the first time they've confirmed the presence of water vapours on one of them.

I mean, this isn't the same as discoverin radio messages or anything, but this is still pretty interesting I'd say.
You should read To be taught, if fortunate by Becky Chambers. It's setting is about a team of four exploring planets like this.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3284 on: September 18, 2019, 07:58:45 AM »
Is it really so difficult for people to imagine that a person may feel they belong to 2 countries, that they have points in common with 2 countries?
I know that most don't have the experience, but can't they just accept it?

This morning on the radio the polish embassador to the UK was being interviewed, and the interviewer was asking him about the polish people that have lived here in the UK for many years, that they didn't know if they were polish or british: can't they be both, feel both? I certainly feel both portuguese and british! British certainly has a higher %, but I'm not reneging my portuguese heritage (unlike my sister).
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams