November 14, 2019, 08:07:05 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 276045 times)

Offline Eli_Freysson

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #3135 on: May 29, 2019, 03:08:18 PM »
So apparently Boris Johnson may face legal consequences for that "350 million a week!" statement in the run-up to the original Brexit vote.

What do you Britain folks think of that?
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Online Bender

« Reply #3136 on: May 29, 2019, 03:13:44 PM »
Having legal liability for the fancy promises politicians pull out of their backside is a wonderful idea.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3137 on: May 29, 2019, 03:22:59 PM »
Having legal liability for the fancy promises politicians pull out of their backside is a wonderful idea.
I agree, but I don't think anything will come out of that :-\
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3138 on: May 29, 2019, 04:22:01 PM »
While I applaud the idea of holding politicians legally accountable I doubt it is a precident those who make the laws would care to see. Lets face it if we can't get prosecutions for theft and fraud against 2/3 of MP's for the culture of fiddling their expenses and the body put in place to prevent further criminal behaviour has had its powers cut and survived over 5 attempts to have it removed. I see no hope to get MP's accountable for bad maths and if they are the shadow home secretary is in big trouble.

Investigating taking the country to war on false pretenses was Ok and doing corrupt deals with Saudi deemed not in the public interest So Blair was free to keep flipping his homes to maximise expenses at a time when the mortgage interest on his property porfolio exceeded his and his wifes incomes. Gordon Brown Spending a quarter of our gold reserves on Euros to prevent it's further decent in value at launch was a treasonous act and goes unpunished as does the raiding of pension funds ensuring most working for the state will get a fraction of what was predicted when they joined those schemes.

So holding Boris accountable for what he said probably not going to happen.

Online Bender

« Reply #3139 on: May 29, 2019, 06:46:16 PM »
Having laws and enforcing them are distinct issues. Also I'm not covering bad decisions as even wars and finances. I want to make this personal, making false claims and lying to people. It's subjective as of now, but we need to set more goals and track progress for politicians.

Edit: I'm curious about the Boris case would play out. He has been quoted mentioning multiple values on how much UK sends to EU which are definitely inconsistent with the 350m red bus propaganda. I'd be happy if they send him to prison...Farage can follow him there.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 07:11:04 PM by Bender »

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3140 on: May 30, 2019, 01:58:02 AM »
and on that note https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48450534

So a sitting president is above the law? It's ok they can be charged after their term, just ignore the harm they do in office.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #3141 on: June 01, 2019, 02:16:01 PM »
So apparently Boris Johnson may face legal consequences for that "350 million a week!" statement in the run-up to the original Brexit vote.

What do you Britain folks think of that?

Nothing sticks to Boris. I keep hoping he'll disappear but he always comes back somehow. To be honest though, the real problem isn't him. It's his supporters. Same in America. Trump would just be some fringe figure no one cared about if there weren't millions of people somehow buying into his nonsense.

Online Bender

« Reply #3142 on: June 01, 2019, 03:40:37 PM »

Nothing sticks to Boris.

Except maybe a zipline  8)

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #3143 on: June 04, 2019, 10:04:38 AM »
The Sudanese military has decided, Khalifa Haftar style to break all their promises and try to seize power through brute force. I very much doubt that the UN, dominated as it is by America, Russia and China cares enough to do anything to stop them.

People like to talk a lot about the need for stability in the Middle East but I'm starting to think that these countries would be far more stable if they disbanded their armies completely. All they ever seem to do is drain vast amounts of money, loose wars and kill several innocent people pursuing political power they have zero right to have and zero ability to use wisely.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #3144 on: June 05, 2019, 01:17:33 AM »
Fomenting conflict in the middle east is a central part of US and UK foreign policy for some time (according to their own policy papers).

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #3145 on: June 05, 2019, 09:53:52 AM »
Fomenting conflict in the middle east is a central part of US and UK foreign policy for some time (according to their own policy papers).

That doesn't surprise me in the least. The hypocrisy and inhumanity shown towards the middle east coming from the US, UK and to a lesser extent a few countries in Europe as well is truly staggering. Of course Russia and China are just as awful, but you would expect that from them, as they also treat their own citizens appallingly. For democracies to not only look at the events unfolding in the middle east and think them justified, but to actually support and cause them is just disgusting.

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Godling
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #3146 on: June 05, 2019, 10:41:19 AM »
After reading The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan, I no longer think it's strange that Muslims/Arabs in the region despise the west with all their hearts. The British Empire and then the US have been absolute arseholes to the people of that region for the better part of a century.

It's a book I recommend to anyone who wants to gain a better understanding of the mess we're in. It certainly gave me a perspective I wasn't taught in school.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Online Peat

« Reply #3147 on: June 05, 2019, 03:05:43 PM »
I agree, but I don't think anything will come out of that :-\

Probably not, but gotta keep trying.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #3148 on: June 05, 2019, 04:01:56 PM »
Random note to my UK friends, as someone living with the weight of Trump's stupidity (and the GOP's treasonous enabling) every day...

THANK YOU for trolling the f*** out of our shitty manbaby president. I know he'll just yell "Fake news! The protestors love me!" but I hope at least some of the disgust is breaking through his Fox News bubble. The US has dropped the ball (even the opposition party here is refusing to impeach) but at least we have the UK (and others) constantly reminding Trump that he's a soup-brained moron.

Keep it up.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #3149 on: June 05, 2019, 04:14:06 PM »
After reading The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan, I no longer think it's strange that Muslims/Arabs in the region despise the west with all their hearts. The British Empire and then the US have been absolute arseholes to the people of that region for the better part of a century.

It's a book I recommend to anyone who wants to gain a better understanding of the mess we're in. It certainly gave me a perspective I wasn't taught in school.

Agreed. That book is fantastic.