September 20, 2019, 02:38:38 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 261142 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #3105 on: April 05, 2019, 11:35:42 AM »
I've never wanted to lick a topographical map of the UK b4....

@Saraband  it's pretty much here.  I was reading this article about how record warmth a the polar ice caps (which are melting) caused the polar vortex to meander south giving us all wicked awful cold winters as global weather patterns continue to just go to crazy town.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #3106 on: April 05, 2019, 12:45:16 PM »
I've never wanted to lick a topographical map of the UK b4....

Oh, jeez.  :o
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3107 on: April 09, 2019, 08:16:52 AM »
A funny one (Brexit agony aunt):

I’m going to Portugal this week. Will I be able to get back on the 17th? Or will I have to stay there for ever?

This seems like a win-win scenario. Either Brexit is delayed and you get to return home, or you are forced to stay in the land of the pastel de nata. I’m not saying that I would renounce my citizenship of this country for the chance to live in the birthplace of this tasty, sweet treat, but all I’m saying is that it would be a conversation. I don’t know if you can claim asylum on the basis of “loving a cake”, but I am going to Google that now.

Wait until I tell him that you can be a citizen of both countries ;)
Anyway, I found them in Lidl, so I can safely stay ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #3108 on: April 09, 2019, 09:00:22 AM »
I've been hearing about reports in Sudan that soldiers have started protecting demonstrators from the security forces. Hopefully this means Omar al-Bashir will be going the same way as Bouteflika.

I remember everyone saying after 2011 that the Arab spring could never happen in Algeria because people still remember the horrors of the civil war. Just eight years later their president is gone. For once there seems to be some actual good news coming out of the Middle East.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3109 on: April 09, 2019, 07:49:51 PM »
I've been hearing about reports in Sudan that soldiers have started protecting demonstrators from the security forces. Hopefully this means Omar al-Bashir will be going the same way as Bouteflika.

one can only hope....

Dear Brexit Agony Aunt I am taking the bike to Holland on the 17th apart from needing an EDP do I think this will affect me in any way?

I love the way people think that a trading group, interested in money and little else will change their lives whether they are part of it or not. You are really not that important to Brussels as an individual.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #3110 on: April 11, 2019, 10:48:43 AM »
The army has reportedly removed al-Bashir from power. Hopefully he will very soon be seeing the inside of a prison cell.

I hope the Algerians and Sudanese have learned from what happened in Egypt that removing the president is the easy part.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3111 on: April 26, 2019, 05:36:31 PM »
This isn't apropos of anything in particular, but I wanted to ask: How do you feel about listening to music by artists accused of horrible things? I've never been some particular fan of R Kelly, but "I Believe I Can Fly" is an amazing song, and Michael Jackson, well, who hasn't listening to his songs for decades?

Now R Kelly is coming down in flames, and I feel the buzz around Leaving Neverland has served as the final nail in the coffin of Jackson's reputation. Their songs have been occurring to me lately, but I don't look them up on Youtube. It just feels weird.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3112 on: May 02, 2019, 01:59:15 PM »
People in England, have you voted?
I'm going after work...

Your vote counts!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3113 on: May 02, 2019, 02:21:26 PM »
May 23rd for me, but yes it is vital to vote in local elections which often see a turn out of only 30-40%.

Both Jackson and kelly have been known about for years. money and celebrity often mean the law looks away.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 02:26:19 PM by Rostum »

Offline Peat

« Reply #3114 on: May 02, 2019, 07:17:10 PM »
This isn't apropos of anything in particular, but I wanted to ask: How do you feel about listening to music by artists accused of horrible things? I've never been some particular fan of R Kelly, but "I Believe I Can Fly" is an amazing song, and Michael Jackson, well, who hasn't listening to his songs for decades?

Now R Kelly is coming down in flames, and I feel the buzz around Leaving Neverland has served as the final nail in the coffin of Jackson's reputation. Their songs have been occurring to me lately, but I don't look them up on Youtube. It just feels weird.

I'm a big black metal fan and that's just a minefield of wrongness. Sometimes I listen, sometimes I don't. I have a rather arbitrary approach.

That said, its generally a far lesser standard of wrongness. Marion Zimmer Bradley is the only creative where I was a fan, then I found out they were sorta involved in child abuse, and now I don't read her. Its one of those viscerally sickening crimes that makes separation harder.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3115 on: May 07, 2019, 10:59:32 AM »
Why, oh why, with everything that is going on in the world, is the birth of a baby within the British royal family front-page news? Why are people focusing on it, and speculating on the name?

Why??
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3116 on: May 07, 2019, 12:03:31 PM »
(my opinion) because in the middle of all the negative and scary and distrastrous stuff, a simple thing like a baby is a welcome distraction :D

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3117 on: May 07, 2019, 03:50:58 PM »
They're not but stories like this sell papers. I can assure you until you brought it up I had not once thought of the royal birth.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #3118 on: May 12, 2019, 06:05:25 PM »
I've never been a big fan of the royal family. Not really much of a supporter for unelected governments. I mean, it's nice they had a baby, but it's nice for them. It doesn't concern me. Also it's Harry's baby, so it's not like he's ever going to be king or anything.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #3119 on: May 15, 2019, 07:13:05 AM »

Royals are the first reality TV, replacing knowledge with spectacle.
But in 2019 it's more like replacing uninformed commentary and undignified spectacle with dignified spectacle, so I actually find it sort of a relief.

This quote from an article about the fall of one of my fav long-form news sources kinda sums it all up:

“The low point arrived when my editor G-chatted me with the observation that our traffic figures were lagging that day and ordered me to ‘publish something within the hour,’” Andrew Leonard, who left Salon in 2014, recalled in a post. “Which, translated into my new reality, meant ‘Go troll Twitter for something to get mad about — Uber, or Mark Zuckerberg, or Tea Party Republicans — and then produce a rant about it.’ … I performed my duty, but not without thinking, ‘Is this what 25 years as a dedicated reporter have led to?’ That’s when it dawned on me: I was no longer inventing the future. I was a victim of it. So I quit my job to keep my sanity.”

https://www.politico.com/media/story/2016/05/the-fall-of-saloncom-004551

It's not just journalism that's dead.  Intelligence is dead.