August 08, 2020, 09:39:23 AM

Author Topic: Older fantasy on the Kindle?  (Read 9051 times)

Offline Seven

• This user has been banned
  • Night Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Older fantasy on the Kindle?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 03:47:46 PM »
Hah, awesome.

The extra plug is still smaller and lighter than carrying a bunch of books around, hell, I bet it'd be lighter than the average single fantasy volume.

Offline Seven

• Night Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 05:39:39 PM »
... What the hell is wrong with this thing? I literally haven't touched my Kindle since Thursday, I've been on a ton of painkillers since hospital and haven't been able to concentrate on reading. It's been lying untouched since Thursday night, when I was reading it PLUGGED IN. So it had a full charge until I took it out on Friday morning to take it with me. Today, untouched since then, the battery is dead?!

Wifi off, 3g off, no light or anything plugged in.

Also it's plugged into my laptop now and refusing to move from the empty battery display?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:45:42 PM by Seven »

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 05:45:42 PM »
Contact support at amazon, that's not normal and they have a warranty
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Seven

• Night Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 05:46:30 PM »
It's jailbroken, does that void the warranty?

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 05:55:55 PM »
It's jailbroken, does that void the warranty?

I wouldn't know. Worth contacting them. I contacted them for one we had that died and I don't remember them asking me about jail breaking. If the hardware hasn't been tampered with, I would think you should be fine. And for software jail breaking you can look into resetting/uninstalling if you need to send it in
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline CaMarshall

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 01:55:33 AM »
First off : Buy the square trade warranty. 30 pounds for 3 years warranty. Second of all amazon are an awesome company to buy from simply because they will pretty much bend over backwards to help you. Contact their support line and tell them what went wrong and they should organise something for you. I've known people who have had their Kindles replaced by amazon outside of warranty when the user has dropped it into water.

But when you say jail broken, how do you mean?

Offline AlmightyZael

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2012, 06:59:53 PM »
First off : Buy the square trade warranty. 30 pounds for 3 years warranty. Second of all amazon are an awesome company to buy from simply because they will pretty much bend over backwards to help you. Contact their support line and tell them what went wrong and they should organise something for you. I've known people who have had their Kindles replaced by amazon outside of warranty when the user has dropped it into water.

Jailbroken means that there has been a new firmware installed (custom firmware) that isn't supported by Amazon. It lets you do silly things like add new features such as putting collections within collections to organise your books even more. Also, it allows you do other things like install custom wallpaper for when the Kindle is on standby, rather than the default images that Amazon give you.

I'm pretty sure it wold void your warranty if you did it, but I'm also sure that there is a way to revert it back to official firmware. So it could simply be a case that your custom firmware has glitched or installed incorrectly and is simply saying it has no battery when it actually does.

Can you see the Kindle root folder when you plug it into your PC?
Up Helly Aah!

Offline Seven

• Night Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 07:02:44 PM »

Jailbroken means that there has been a new firmware installed (custom firmware) that isn't supported by Amazon. It lets you do silly things like add new features such as putting collections within collections to organise your books even more. Also, it allows you do other things like install custom wallpaper for when the Kindle is on standby, rather than the default images that Amazon give you.

I'm pretty sure it wold void your warranty if you did it, but I'm also sure that there is a way to revert it back to official firmware. So it could simply be a case that your custom firmware has glitched or installed incorrectly and is simply saying it has no battery when it actually does.

Can you see the Kindle root folder when you plug it into your PC?
Sure. It shows up as a new drive, (G:). I don't have any custom stuff though, and the battery is draining incredibly quickly, it isn't just looking like it.. A day of reading took it down to half from a full charge a while back.

Offline AlmightyZael

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »
Hmm. In which case I would revert to the default firmware (the one Amazon uses) and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, just deny all knowledge of jailbreaking and get a replacement from them  ;)
Honestly, they are very helpful when it comes to their products. They are more than happy to resolve your problems if you send them an email to their customer support address for the region you live in.
Up Helly Aah!

Offline Seven

• Night Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012, 07:11:55 PM »
Oh yeah, I've had nothing but good experiences with Amazon customer support. I'm just wondering if this isn't more me having too-high expectations. After all, the two-month battery life estimate is based on 30 minutes of use per day...

Offline CaMarshall

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2012, 02:45:58 AM »
I just put it on charge every now and then even before it goes down all the way

Offline AlmightyZael

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2012, 02:47:52 AM »
Oh yeah, I've had nothing but good experiences with Amazon customer support. I'm just wondering if this isn't more me having too-high expectations. After all, the two-month battery life estimate is based on 30 minutes of use per day...

Mine usually lasts about a month. I read about an hour a day, and I don't turn it off, just leave it on standby. But, with most electronics, I think it's a conspiracy. It all depends on the luck of the draw whether or not you get a good battery or a bad one  :D
Up Helly Aah!

Offline Seven

• Night Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2012, 06:41:22 PM »

Offline Fallen One

• Chrestomanci
  • At long last I crafted a decent profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2012, 07:14:16 PM »

I've recently read that ebook publishers/ vendors can monitor what we read, how we read, how much time we take to finish books, etc. Anyone knows if and how that can be disabled for the kindle?
Director and editor of Nerd Alert Magazine:
 https://www.facebook.com/NerdAlertMagazine

Offline Jeni

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2012, 07:56:21 PM »

I've recently read that ebook publishers/ vendors can monitor what we read, how we read, how much time we take to finish books, etc. Anyone knows if and how that can be disabled for the kindle?

Amazon are always going to know most of what you read on the kindle because that is where you get the majority books from, usually. As for how long it takes to read a book, I cant see how they can work that out unless you always have your wi-fi and 3g switched on. They probably estimate these figures based on how often you purchase new books, and whether or not you've finished the previous one, when you sync with Amazon during downloads. It is likely that you have already agreed to allow this by consenting to terms of use.