December 18, 2018, 03:30:48 PM

Author Topic: Memorable reads  (Read 281 times)

Offline nettletea

Memorable reads
« on: December 04, 2018, 10:10:15 PM »
Come closer. The fire is warm. It's snowing outside. Let's share some stories of memorable reads. No, not the books themselves, the when and the where. Perhaps you were someone else back then? Somewhere else? Or for some other reason, you'll never forgot?

I read The Lord of the Rings as a teenager. Our school library was small. It only had the first part, The Fellowship of the Ring, as if they were trying to save the shelf space until somebody actually asked for part two.

I started reading as winter began, and just before having an operation on my foot. We had an open fire in the lounge back then, in that house, and I've never forgotten reading The Lord of the Rings sat in front of that warm crackling fire, day after cold day with my foot in bandages and the hail and rain on the window. Every day for weeks I just got up, my Dad would light the fire and bring me a bucket of coal and some logs, and leave me to it. And I would sit and read The Lord of the Rings all day, while my foot healed..

How about you? What read is fixed in your memory, and why?  :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:11:50 PM by nettletea »

Offline Peat

Re: Memorable reads
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 10:32:12 PM »
Someone once gave me a copy of Carpe Jugulum for Christmas and I promptly hid and read the entire thing rather than talking to people.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 10:49:01 PM »
I don't really have a lot of significant reading memories. Mostly reading has just been a constant thing. Though I do remember my mother being really annoyed with me on a family holiday in Tasmania because all I wanted to do was read BattleAxe by Sara Douglass.

My chief fantasy-fiction-related memory was discovering The Hobbit. I was playing a cute little computer game called Hugo's House of Horrors, and at one point reached a riddle-game that I needed to pass. The first question was, "What is the name of the hero in the Hobbit?" I had no idea. I asked my school librarian. She pulled this book off the shelf, and I was all of twelve years old, and my mind was totally blown.

That was it. All fantasy all the time for me thereafter.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 12:22:00 AM »
There seems to be a theme here: Tolkien.

My brother Paul and I read the first part of FotR out loud together, but then I got impatient and tore through the rest myself. I read and read and read, barely slept for three days, and finished in tears. I stumbled downstairs. My dada asked if the book was sad. "No, it was so good. I'm so happy. And I'm so tired."

There have been other wonderful reading experiences:

My mother reading "King of the Wind" and "Misty of Chincoteague" aloud to us kids. Our first chapter books.

Paul and I were both sick and staying home from school, reading various Oz books. He was in love with Dorothy and I loved Ozma.  ::)

Discovering Agatha Christie (first book: "Toward's Zero"). While my family sailed the boat, I went below decks and read it through. A kept reading others throughout that summer and many years after.

A few years back, stopping reading "The Memory of Old Jack" for three months before starting again because the emotions in one scene were so intense.

And on it goes...
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Peat

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 12:38:26 AM »
My parents read me The Hobbit as a bedtime story back when I was very young; I think I read the Lord of the Rings myself after that.

Offline Skip

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 04:05:11 AM »
Vivid memory of reading the Lord Dunsany short story, "Two Bottles of Relish." When I got to the end and figured out the punch line, it knocked me over. Literally. I read it lying on my stomach on my bed (I was 13 or 14) and it knocked me over onto my back.

Second memory, from just a few months later, is typing out whole chapters of Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles. It was the first time I ever fell in love with the prose of a book. As I wrote out page after page, it made me feel closer to the words. I did mention I was fourteen, right?

LotR was a library read for me, too. High school library. I doubt I would have read it except that I had burned through most of the SF in that small library and was willing to try just about anything. Purely by chance I picked The Hobbit first. I remember thinking, that was fun let's try the others, and by Chapter 3 of The Fellowship of the Ring I was enthralled.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 06:28:12 AM »
I was a voracious reader as a kid, always reading. Started wuth Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree books and Tove Jansson's Moomin books, which are still a good read, then moved onto Narnia and The Hobbit. More recently the book that absolutely captivated me is The Lies of Locke Lamora. Started that on the way back to work the day I bought it at lunchtime and 19 or so reads of it since I still love it every single time.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 08:40:05 PM by Elfy »
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 06:49:59 AM »
Back when I was in year 1 (I'm in year 3 now), the power went out at my dorm at around 3 am. and it was hot as hell around these parts even in the night. I woke up, sleepy and grumpy as hell, and sat down in front of my room and continue to read The Name of the Wind by the emergency lights in the hallway. I read it through until around 7 am. when the power finally returned and I could finally go back to sleep. It's the single most memorable reading moment I've ever had, I remembered the magical feeling that consumed me when I read through Kvothe's first musical performance at that inn near his university. What a dizzy, euphoric moment that was...

Offline nettletea

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 07:46:06 PM »
Some wonderful memories here.. and some equally good recommendations!  ;)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 08:06:10 PM »
When I got my wisdom teeth out (all four at once) I read Way of Kings in one and a half days. It was a good distraction from the pain and I didn't do much else.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 09:38:14 PM »
I've been thinking more about this, and a related thing about how certain computer games and musical albums are inextricably linked for me, because I spent a lot of time playing one while listening to the other at certain periods of my life. (Rammstein's second album and Carmageddon, for instance.) In those cases, it's more an association than a single memory.

Though another reading-memory for me is NK Jemisin's The Fifth Season. I read that while my child was about four-five months old, and doing really, really badly at sleeping. So I have these vivid memories of reading some of the really heart-rending (especially for a mother) parts of that book while kneeling beside the cot with one hand on my child, trying to get her to sleep, and being wildly grateful that I could do this.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 04:28:41 AM »
It's not fantasy, but one book I do clearly remember from my childhood, and that was because our teacher read it to us (I was in Grade 5 at the time I think, so around 10) and that Ian Serrallier's The Silver Sword. One thing, I do recall was that by the end our teacher (a fairly strict lady) was in tears. Quite a good book, too.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 08:14:07 AM »
My memory's not good.
Saying that, I "remember" (have this image) of being 6 and going to an elder cousin's birthday party, and finding the Famous Five books. I picked one and read the entire time - my parents were quite surprised to find that I could read those 'bigger' books, and went and got me lots of the Famous Five books after that :D

I also remember reading/trying to read Den Patrick's first book during my first chemo treatment: the subject matter combined with how I was feeling meant that although I finished I didn't like it much, and I refused to read the rest of the series :-\
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 08:44:02 PM »
I found a couple of really good books just laying around a relative's house when I was younger. One was Lord of the Flies, which was at my aunt's house. No doubt one of my older cousins probably had to read it for school. The other was All The Green Year, which was an Australian coming of age story, and that happened to be at my grandmother's. One of the great things about All the Green Year was that it was set in and around the Seaford/Frankston area of Melbourne, and that was where my grandmother lived, so as I was reading this book I was walking around seeing the area it had been written about, okay I was 50 - 60 years later, but it was still pretty trippy and brought the book to life for me.