November 21, 2019, 10:45:47 PM

Author Topic: Member birthday calendar  (Read 213802 times)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
Re: Member birthday calendar
« Reply #255 on: March 25, 2015, 09:13:46 AM »
Summer solstice guy here (obviously that means I'm the chosen one... right?)
You're fated to go out on a horse, in a big desert plain, in the direction of the rising sun.
I'm fated to go out on a sledge pulled by big direwolves, in the arctic white, in the direction of the rising moon.
 :D

(2 days off the winter solstice, but close enough ;))

The prophecy is true! I'm going in the direction of the rising sun in May! Though I'm taking a plane >.>  dang it...

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #256 on: March 25, 2015, 11:22:49 AM »
Summer solstice guy here (obviously that means I'm the chosen one... right?)
You're fated to go out on a horse, in a big desert plain, in the direction of the rising sun.
I'm fated to go out on a sledge pulled by big direwolves, in the arctic white, in the direction of the rising moon.
 :D

The prophecy is true! I'm going in the direction of the rising sun in May! Though I'm taking a plane >.>  dang it...

Oh Chosen One! We're not worthy! ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 25, 2015, 11:42:58 AM »
August 26th is my birthday - summer time when I lived in UK, pretty cool now I'm in Oz. If I say I could be Jmacky's mum, can we leave the actual age bit there? In my head I'm about 28 and having a fantastic time ;D
Ma? Ma? It's me! Don't you recognize me, Ma?
(Well, I couldn't think of anything genuinely funny to say, so this had to substitute.)
Yes! Leave out the actual age.  ;D. As was said elsewhere, it's nice that no one here really cares about it.  ;)

:) :) :)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 25, 2015, 12:39:09 PM »
Is the original post (the list) still being adapted?

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #259 on: March 25, 2015, 12:43:32 PM »

Nope.

Xiiiiiia - pretty please? It's easier to just check the first post than trail through all the pages to discover birthdays...
 :) :)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 27, 2015, 05:15:20 PM »

Nope.

Xiiiiiia - pretty please? It's easier to just check the first post than trail through all the pages to discover birthdays...
I did this for ages but nobody checked it and it was mostly forgotten and I gave up. :( Plus, new users who were only active for a week tended to add their birthday which was annoying when they were never seen again. :P

But if you really want to, I'll try to find the time. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 27, 2015, 05:19:02 PM »

Nope.

I did this for ages but nobody checked it and it was mostly forgotten and I gave up. :( Plus, new users who were only active for a week tended to add their birthday which was annoying when they were never seen again. :P

But if you really want to, I'll try to find the time. :)

These new members have vanished in the dark marsh of lost books. They will never leave our hearts. RIP

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #262 on: March 27, 2015, 05:21:51 PM »
Could birthday be a field in each member profile (optional of course) and then there would be a view of this available?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #263 on: March 27, 2015, 06:33:01 PM »
Could birthday be a field in each member profile (optional of course) and then there would be a view of this available?

Thing is, that would mean clicking on each person's profile, and then forgetting almost right away.
With the list, I could check it at the start of each week and congratulate the relevant people at the right time :D

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 27, 2015, 06:37:53 PM »
I'll polish it up until Arry's birthday. ;)

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #265 on: March 27, 2015, 07:07:16 PM »

Thing is, that would mean clicking on each person's profile, and then forgetting almost right away.
With the list, I could check it at the start of each week and congratulate the relevant people at the right time :D
But if there was a feature for birthday list, and you could click it from your own profile...
Well, anyway, this thread is at least needed for the well wishes!  :D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #266 on: March 27, 2015, 08:46:18 PM »
I'm looking into a solution. Right now, I can get all the "upcoming" birthdays to show on the main screen at the bottom (while looking at it, I added upcoming Calendar events, so you can see where it would be).

Problem is, we have so many old/inactive users, it's kind of a mess with the birthdays. It also shows age if people filled that out, and I dont know how users feel about that. But it is handy because it just pulls your birthday form the forum profile and no one has to maintain it.

The feature doesnt have any handy dandy filter features, so I cant tell it to only show users that have logged in the past amount of time, or users that have at least posted. But, still, might be able to think of something (or maybe if old accounts were cleaned out, it would help as well)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #267 on: March 27, 2015, 08:47:32 PM »
I'm looking into a solution. Right now, I can get all the "upcoming" birthdays to show on the main screen at the bottom (while looking at it, I added upcoming Calendar events, so you can see where it would be).

Problem is, we have so many old/inactive users, it's kind of a mess with the birthdays. It also shows age if people filled that out, and I dont know how users feel about that. But it is handy because it just pulls your birthday form the forum profile and no one has to maintain it.

The feature doesnt have any handy dandy filter features, so I cant tell it to only show users that have logged in the past amount of time, or users that have at least posted. But, still, might be able to think of something (or maybe if old accounts were cleaned out, it would help as well)
You are awesome  ;D
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 05, 2015, 09:29:32 AM »
Yer a wizard birthday girl, Arry! :D Congratulations! I hope you can do your favorite pastime and paint some furniture today!  ;D

I added all the birthdays from this thread - excluding users who haven't been active in 2015 yet. (If I left yours out and you're back after a three or more months break, just tell me and I'll add it.)

If I missed some birthdays, please let me know. :)

We decided against the forum feature because it would be a mess.
It would have looked like this:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 05, 2015, 10:04:02 AM »
Happy  birthday @Arry, hope it's relaxing and fun :)

Thanks to you and @xiaqan for updating the list, it's easy to check there and much better than the the solution in the spoiler.

ETA to add @ to Arry and xiagan, like everyone else does but not sure what results except turning them red?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:32:36 AM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic