May 28, 2017, 01:17:57 PM

Author Topic: LGBT+ characters in fantasy  (Read 3063 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: LGBT+ characters in fantasy
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2016, 05:50:41 PM »
Oh My :D :D :D
 8)

(don't worry, I won't hit on you when we meet hehe ;) )
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2016, 07:04:04 PM »
I'm straight as an arrow, not for women's lack of trying

ha!  nora -- you're so awesome.  i'm SOOOOOOOOO crushing on you.  ...just don't let my wife know!

Ah, yes, and don't forget the accent as well!

rawr....

I won't tell your wife anything, but you need to start sending me some money!  ;D   8)

ha!  get in line!

Here, to illustrate my point. That's a picture of me back in Paris when I was a press photographer, I was attending one of the bazillion street protest. Dressed like that daily, I attracted a lot of feminine attention. All going well over my head.

Spoiler for Hiden:

that happens to you too?!  dude...  it's so weird.  people always think i'm gay too!!

Spoiler for Hiden:

i have no idea why...

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 08:16:42 PM »
My response to an un-named someone in this thread:

Offline Peat

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 08:34:52 PM »
m3mnoch, it's clearly the wine drinking.

I have no idea why anyone would ever think Nora might be of the Sapphic persuasion.

In other completely true statements, cats are vegetarians.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 12:33:08 AM »
OMG, these grey, perfectly round nipples... No wonder all genders are mesmerized.
But how did you get a waist this small? Corsets?  :P
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2016, 01:20:05 AM »
OMG, these grey, perfectly round nipples... No wonder all genders are mesmerized.
But how did you get a waist this small? Corsets?  :P

ha!  you should have seen me in high school.  it was legit small back then.  28 inch waist, but with a 44 inch chest.  complete with the james dean pompadour.  the only thing missing were grey nipples.

ah...  believe it or not, i had a lot of fun in high school.

Spoiler for Hiden:
that's me on the left.  those other two jamokes are my (still!) best friends.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 01:48:34 AM »
Oh wow. Wait. How old are you m3m?? This seem taken out of a tamer version of Grease.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 02:09:40 AM »
Oh wow. Wait. How old are you m3m?? This seem taken out of a tamer version of Grease.

heh.  42.

i just had a fascination with james dean back then.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 07:46:40 AM »

heh.  42.

i just had a fascination with james dean back then.
The meaning of life number m3m. Don't worry, you're still good looking  :P (I'll still call you 'old man' to vex you)

Do wish the male versus female attention would be swapped in my case. Then again, I suppose the male attention is flattering too.

So back to the original question.
There were definitely same sex relationships in the middle ages but obviously not as we know them today.
Stemming from the Classical age where everyone slept with everyone (not literally but yer), the middle ages were alright in this case. Not as prude as the victorian age but not hyper liberal as the roman empire. The Netherlands especially were known to be very liberal at the time in many ways which attracted a lot of artists. (Still are actually. Been 10 years since same sex marriage became legal here)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:54:33 AM by Henry Dale »

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »
Don't forget those were the 80s, Nora ;D

I had a perm when I was 16/17 :-[ ::)

There were definitely same sex relationships in the middle ages but obviously not as we know them today.
Stemming from the Classical age where everyone slept with everyone (not literally but yer), the middle ages were alright in this case. Not as prude as the victorian age but not hyper liberal as the roman empire. The Netherlands especially were known to be very liberal at the time in many ways which attracted a lot of artists. (Still are actually. Been 10 years since same sex marriage became legal here)
Yep.
And we should get @Saraband in here, actually, with his thesis about same-sex relationships in the Arab world in the middle ages (I'm paraphrasing here, I'm not 100% sure it's like this hehe, but close)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:56:40 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 08:11:05 PM »
Yep.
And we should get @Saraband in here, actually, with his thesis about same-sex relationships in the Arab world in the middle ages (I'm paraphrasing here, I'm not 100% sure it's like this hehe, but close)

not to mention ancient rome/greece.

edit:  uh.  i guess you indeed already mentioned it.  "hyper liberal as the roman empire"  um...  nothing to see here.  move along.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 08:26:48 PM by m3mnoch »

Offline Yora

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2016, 10:21:32 PM »
Stemming from the Classical age where everyone slept with everyone (not literally but yer), the middle ages were alright in this case. Not as prude as the victorian age but not hyper liberal as the roman empire.
The Victorian age is single handedly responsible for pretty much all our misconceptions about history. They just made up lies to make themselves look progressive and the pinnacle of a continuous upward development. In truth they were totally reactionary and now we have that fake image of everything before being even more repressive.

Not that they actually lived that way in practice. Apparently they were no less scandalous than the barbaric past they invented. Perhaps even more so.

Though I wouldn't say rome was liberal. They just super discriminated on things we now don't even consider anymore. Like slavery and women not being legal persons.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:24:24 PM by Yora »
Spriggan's Den

There is nothing to read!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2016, 11:14:39 PM »
Though I wouldn't say rome was liberal. They just super discriminated on things we now don't even consider anymore. Like slavery and women not being legal persons.

Roman thought was the head of a family was its priest. He determine who or what got worshipped.
Blasphamy could be punished by being torn apart by wild beasts. The whole christians being thrown to lions is covered by that. The Jewish and Christian blasphamy was saying "You are the God, You alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth." When it was blatently obvious to the the Romans there were hundreds and the found new ones with every tribe they conquered.

A husband owned his wife and children and could dispose of them as he saw fit. However this is not in the same way he could own and treat slaves and while his actions and treatment may be legal there could be repercussions.

After bringing 3 children into the world women gained a lot more rights including the ability to lead a life independant of their husbands if that was their wish.

A lot of the Roman stuff comes the idea that it is the head of the families responsibility to esure there is accord in his household and nobody elses business to interfere.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 07:37:12 AM »
Stemming from the Classical age where everyone slept with everyone (not literally but yer), the middle ages were alright in this case. Not as prude as the victorian age but not hyper liberal as the roman empire.
The Victorian age is single handedly responsible for pretty much all our misconceptions about history. They just made up lies to make themselves look progressive and the pinnacle of a continuous upward development. In truth they were totally reactionary and now we have that fake image of everything before being even more repressive.

Not that they actually lived that way in practice. Apparently they were no less scandalous than the barbaric past they invented. Perhaps even more so.

To correct myself :P
"Sexually liberal"

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 02:12:28 PM »
I guess I should mention that two major characters in my upcoming space opera are gay. And when I say major, I mean that they are both important to the story, and powerful people in-universe.

I don't make a big deal out of it. Partly because I fully believe that far-future humans will have stopped making a big deal out of sexual orientation, and because I also believe that the way forward is to treat "different" people exactly the same as everyone else.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!