May 19, 2019, 06:02:26 PM

Author Topic: Jobs or Degrees outside of Writing?  (Read 5857 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
Re: Jobs or Degrees outside of Writing?
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2016, 10:56:30 AM »
Bradley that was some fabulous resume and I dread to think what will happen if we get back to our RPG sometime, your sense of humour better be top-notch.

And BTW the anthology of horror stories, with Bradley's hilariously horrendous toilet story is great.

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/advertising-your-novels/charity-horror-anthology-on-sale-feb-8-12/msg131465/#msg131465

Thanks for the plug Lady Ty!!! That story is some of my best toilet humor.

I'm prepared for the best @ScarletBea and @m3mnoch have up their sleeves :)

Government IT, airplanes... there's some serious technical skills in this group.  If the world ends I wanna be trapped in a bunker with you all.  I can mix some drinks in a bowtie while you all build computers and shit.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2016, 11:04:44 AM »
I am a consultant in digital media, currently working with several music recording studios, a robotic design firm, and several colleges doing things from working with curriculum to designing television studios.  I also do consulting in program development for universities, helping programs move to a sustainable model when faced with state budget cuts.  On the side I keep my hand in my original career of film and television directing and have a couple of projects per year.  I also maintain a History of the Great War website, am a game designer, and run a scholarly group called the Thin Tweed Line, which are all writing like though.

For public service I have a certificate in Law Enforcement from the South Carolina Academy, and formerly held certification as a forensic investigator.  I spent 5 years of road duty 2-nights a week.  During that time I was a "first in" building entry person, worked with investigations involving digital video, but otherwise my religion prevented me from being a super cop and I was pretty ineffective as one - except for the video stuff I did.

I try to work with students in creative projects as much as possible due to my religion and personal beliefs.  In fact, I just raised about $90,000 to support a group of student filmmakers and authors develop a web series from script to screen and am negotiating with a couple of universities to see where the project will be based.  I have a soft promise of a Scarlett and Avid is coming through with stuff for the project since it will likely be based at an Avid Certified location.

As an aside I have a BS (HON) in Human Studies with majors in History, Religion, Business, and English; a MS in Communication Studies in history of technology, and completed my coursework, dissertation, and competencies in a Ph.D. in Communication but the university would not issue the degree when I came down with a fatal degenerative illness.  I survived the illness, but never got the degree so I am the only person in the world who is legally ABD for the rest of their life.  Related to others in this field I have worked with anthropological film, but Nanook never pays and if you do not belong to the "in crowd" in anthropology (anthropologists can be quite snooty about professional playing in their gardens) you cannot get people to take your work serious, but I admire people who do work in it.  I was a close follower of Karl Heider and took classes with him when I was more into it, so the anthropologists on this forum have a tip of my hat.

More important than me is my wife.  She is a PhD biology who worked for the Brazilian Navy for years, a former ballerina, multi-lingual (Portuguese, Spanish, English, Italian, and for all I know, Urdu).  She is a professor of anatomy and physiology teaching in a nursing program, and a volunteer in the health field with her EMT and STNA.  My students when I was a professor said that she was an 8 who somehow married a 4-1/2.  :)

Edited to add LEO work and things about wife.

Wow, you both sound like you've done all kinds of insanely interesting stuff. And you're a fellow visual anthropologist (well partially at least--you're right they're very snooty about what they count as anthropology and what isn't, but I'm glad to announce that's changing) Karl Heider is extremely famous-- I studied a bit under Stephen Lansing, if you know him, the Balinese water temple guy Goddess and the Computer and all that.

You'll have to post a link to your web series when it's done!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2016, 12:43:01 PM »
Government IT, airplanes... there's some serious technical skills in this group.  If the world ends I wanna be trapped in a bunker with you all.  I can mix some drinks in a bowtie while you all build computers and shit.
I'm not sure we'd do much, but we'd never run out of reading and conversation ;D
Imagine re-enacting a RPG in real life! 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Steve Jackson

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2016, 07:23:15 PM »

Wow, you both sound like you've done all kinds of insanely interesting stuff. And you're a fellow visual anthropologist (well partially at least--you're right they're very snooty about what they count as anthropology and what isn't, but I'm glad to announce that's changing) Karl Heider is extremely famous-- I studied a bit under Stephen Lansing, if you know him, the Balinese water temple guy Goddess and the Computer and all that.

You'll have to post a link to your web series when it's done!

Of course, Lansing is an important arrow in the cultural crowd's quiver.  He brought back a lot of the ethnographic work from the doldrums of meaningless description and gave permission for cultural people to look at things like physical culture and archeology, when the cultural side was spending more time in narrow arguments over structuralism and what not. 

I met and studied under Heider at South Carolina.  I was in a different division so i was not allowed to do research with him or anything like that, but the contact was rewarding.  Rashomon Effect is one of the great pieces of scientific philosophy ever written.  It is telling that I used that article in actual criminal cases.

Offline DrMclony

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2016, 09:36:58 AM »
Qualifications:
Electrical engineering, IT, Anthropology, Teaching

Jobs:
Statistician, teacher, Anthropologist, retail worker, Disability employment service worker, IT technician, programmer, printer, copier repair guy, full time writer once upon a time, all sorts of things. Even vice president of a licensed club for a year or so.

On the side:
Musician, artist, video game designer, actor, the list is crazy.

Right this minute, the copier repair guy is earning the food. But who knows what might happen next?