August 25, 2019, 02:18:15 AM

Author Topic: Jobs or Degrees outside of Writing?  (Read 6177 times)

Offline Revan

Re: Jobs or Degrees outside of Writing?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 12:34:08 AM »
Doing my master thesis in computer science.

Planning to start a PhD in AI/Machine Learning, next year.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:35:59 AM by Revan »

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 01:46:03 AM »
I have an English Literature degree. Hard to believe right?

And I'm trying to get into publishing, its tough though, often unsure if I can actually achieve getting into it or not.
Working at a big store atm to make (albeit shit) money for the time being.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 03:10:29 AM »
I'm not into college yet, but I'm planning on getting a bachelor's in media communications, and possibly continuing on to a masters in sound engineering. I could change my mind later on, but that's how it looks now.
My ultimate goal is to have my own morning show on either satellite or FM radio. That's where the communications comes in. Sound engineering can help me get my foot in the door of a station hopefully. They say most people don't start out with the jobs they want. If that fails though, I've always loved mixing audio. I have a friend who is a producer, and have learned a lot from him. I'm no expert, but when I'm watching him work, I can tell him to do this or that to produce this type of effect. And, with that career, there are potentially high paying jobs available. So we'll see.
I'm not into music production though. I still need to learn how to play the piano. I like doing things like book dramatization. But hey, inserting sound effects into movies would be awesome as hell, if I could get that job. Or, if it comes down to running sound in a studio, so be it. I'll take what I can get.

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 04:32:45 PM »
I'd be here all day if I typed up my resume. 10+ occupations in my short lifetime will do that. I graduated with a degree in Linguistics with a TESOL certificate that helped land me a job in an underserved area in Japan teaching English at 17 schools. Now, I'm back in Canada working as a legal assistant at my dad's law firm and looking to get into law school next year.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 01:10:58 AM »
Surprised I never said anything here. Working on my BA in Criminal Justice, focus in Legal Studies. Hoping to get a MA in Criminology, though. That's why I've been so busy lately.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline OhTheSqualor

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 03:06:14 PM »
I'm in medical school. 
Which is kind of a pain.
And gets in the way of my writing life all the time.

;-)
Chris
Check out my site!!! Oh The Squalor

Or drop me a line on Twitter

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 06:30:41 PM »
I'm in medical school. 
Which is kind of a pain.

;-)
Chris

heh.  i was totally waiting for the punchline.  something about finishing medical school so you can make pain go away.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 06:36:22 PM »
All I can say Is what a highly educated group we have on the forums .

Hmm wonder if i can find plausible link between IQ, imagination and fantasy reading to secure research funding?

Offline OhTheSqualor

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 07:27:25 PM »
I'm in medical school. 
Which is kind of a pain.

;-)
Chris

heh.  i was totally waiting for the punchline.  something about finishing medical school so you can make pain go away.

Lol, idk, seems like the pain only gets worse in residency. 

But yeah, I clearly have to work on seeing the opportunities for humor when they present themselves.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 07:29:18 PM »
opportunities for humor
I was wondering where in the world you were, now I know ;D
Are you like the guys in Grey's Anatomy then? Or is it more Code Black? ;)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 08:20:26 PM »
Please say Code Black. That means all that stuff that happens in Grey's Anatomy is really just dramatized, and not everyone just causes drama and sleeps with each other.
Oh wait, that's the real world. Damn!
Code Black is better though. Actually focuses on the medical stuff. If I want human relationship drama, I'll either watch a reality show or read a romance novel. Otherwise, keep it in the subplot and don't trick me into watching it.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2015, 08:46:19 PM »
Please say Code Black. That means all that stuff that happens in Grey's Anatomy is really just dramatized, and not everyone just causes drama and sleeps with each other.
Code Black is better though. Actually focuses on the medical stuff. If I want human relationship drama, I'll either watch a reality show or read a romance novel. Otherwise, keep it in the subplot and don't trick me into watching it.
@ultamentkiller, I hope you don't get annoyed at this question, but remember when you said we could ask anything?
How does Code Black (or any medical show, during the medical bits) work for you? I mean, you don't see the blood or the nasty wounds or the cuts or... does it get audio-described? And what do you imagine?
I always wonder if every single person really see colours the same way (I don't believe it), so I guess this is a similar case where you make your own reality, and both are real...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline OhTheSqualor

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2015, 10:16:58 PM »
You know, the problem is that I don't watch either of those shows.  I know nothing about Code Black.
I will say it doesn't seem like it's much like Greys Anatomy... I haven't spent much time making long and wistful looks at the other doctors/patients/nurses.  More like slurping coffee down and grinding my teeth.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2015, 10:29:50 PM »
@ultamentkiller, I hope you don't get annoyed at this question, but remember when you said we could ask anything?
How does Code Black (or any medical show, during the medical bits) work for you? I mean, you don't see the blood or the nasty wounds or the cuts or... does it get audio-described? And what do you imagine?
I always wonder if every single person really see colours the same way (I don't believe it), so I guess this is a similar case where you make your own reality, and both are real...
Well, in America, it's supposed to have something called descriptive narration, since it comes on one of the top 25 channels. Descriptive Narration is when a narrator describes what's going on when there's no character dialogue. Unfortunately, it's hard to get the TV to go into description mode. A lot of major TV Providers still don't understand it. In the UK and Canada though, it's really easy to access.
So, I watch it with my mom. Since it's a medical show, they pretty much describe everything they're doing, so I don't need much. But every now and then I have no clue what's going on, so she'll give me some details.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 03:12:01 AM »
I remember reading that the medical show that is closest to the reality of the medical profession is Scrubs. Seriously.  ;D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.