June 01, 2020, 05:27:01 AM

Author Topic: If there was a brand new Fantasy TV show  (Read 884 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: If there was a brand new Fantasy TV show
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2020, 01:55:48 AM »
I'd love to watch a cross between Captain Planet and Josie and the Pussycats, with--hold it--cast from the Scooby Doo show as well.

Hi, @laughs. If you’re a Scooby fan, you might enjoy the book “Meddling Kids” by Edgar Cantero. Scooby crossed with HP Lovecraft. Very cool.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline laughs

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2020, 07:19:50 AM »
I'd love to watch a cross between Captain Planet and Josie and the Pussycats, with--hold it--cast from the Scooby Doo show as well.

Hi, @laughs. If you’re a Scooby fan, you might enjoy the book “Meddling Kids” by Edgar Cantero. Scooby crossed with HP Lovecraft. Very cool.

Woah! Thanks for the recommendation. That sounds very enjoyable! Gotta get my hands on it! Thanks a lot again! :)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2020, 07:36:43 AM »
I actually think fantasy on TV is in pretty good shape. I just finished watching Locke & Key, currently watching The Good Place and started The Umbrella Academy. They’re all fantasy to an extent and all different. It’s a lot more than when if you wanted fantasy on TV you had a choice of Buffy, Charmed and Supernatural.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Peat

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 01:57:57 PM »
I actually think fantasy on TV is in pretty good shape. I just finished watching Locke & Key, currently watching The Good Place and started The Umbrella Academy. They’re all fantasy to an extent and all different. It’s a lot more than when if you wanted fantasy on TV you had a choice of Buffy, Charmed and Supernatural.

That's hardly answering the question though is it  :P Unless your answer is "So happy with current offering see no need for new shows"

And I have to say, all six of those are contemporary/urban fantasy as is the vast majority of new fantasy programming - from the perspective of someone whose preference is heavily weighted to quasi-historical fantasy, they are basically all the same in that they're of limited interest.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2020, 02:07:37 PM »
I have made my peace with my favourite books never being filmed. They will never live up to expectations. Out of the current series in production probably Wheel of Time excites me the most as the books are flawed and over long so any changes will be interesting to see if they make the story flow better and more exciting; also it is very different to Game of Thrones which is interesting and needed. The one that concerns me is Amazon's Lord of the Rings prequel. Just can't see it working - keep it in the spirit of Lord of the Rings it will be seen as dull and dated, update it and you lose the essence of Tolkien. Plus the fate of the characters is already set in stone making it hard to tell stories where the unexpected happens.

The Real Powers That Be