May 30, 2020, 11:44:05 AM

Author Topic: If there was a brand new Fantasy TV show  (Read 858 times)

Offline Peat

If there was a brand new Fantasy TV show
« on: February 24, 2020, 02:05:36 AM »
What would you want it to look like?

Got curious about this idea because most Fantasy TV talk seems to revolve around "What series do you want adapted", "Who would you cast as X" etc.etc. And I feel like that's kind of a shame as there's a ton of stuff you could do with a brand new page.

So if there was a brand new Fantasy TV show, what would you like it to look like? What storylines and territory would you want it to cover? Any writers you'd want associated with such a project? Etc.etc.

Me, I think

a) The genre doesn't have much Portal Fiction at the moment and the difference between our world and a secondary is something the screen can really give an extra dimension.
b) I'd love to see some Fantasy shot in some of the more out-there locales around - jungle, desert, what not.
c) I'd love to see some genre-bending shown off to a wider scale - most of the series getting made are pretty standard trad fantasy, and I love trad fantasy, but why not show some fantasy with more of a mystery or war bent?

What does everybody else think?
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: If there was a brand new Fantasy TV show
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 07:22:24 AM »
I'd be fine with anything with a moderate amount of action that doesn't sucks, haha.

Offline isos81

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 07:43:27 AM »
I would love to watch Drizzt and Malazan on TV.

@Eclipse would probably prefer WoT or Mistborn :P
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 07:49:32 AM »

I would look forward to the 2 hour episode set in the bath tub.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline isos81

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 07:49:54 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 08:16:28 AM »

Only one episode? That’ll need its own spin off series.
There have been a couple of really good TV fantasy shows of late, Magicians springs to mind, especially once it goes off book. Although it’s a super hero show Legends of Tomorrow is fantastical as well as being a whole of of fun, although be warned the first season is awful. I’d skip it altogether and start with season 2. I also have high hopes for WandaVision.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 09:01:38 AM »
I'm mostly meh about portal fantasy, but I would be interested in a television show that really got into the comparative science potential of it. (I'm thinking like when Jane goes to Asgard and is looking at their magic as science in the second Thor movie.) But also really look at differences in worldview and circumstances. (Does better nutrition mean our-world people can really physically dominate Over There, but does their religion/societal worldview mean that even a child can pants us with magic that, study as we might, we just can't get our heads around?)

I also wouldn't mind seeing something spec-fic that really explores the wide variety of alternative worldviews that are available. Yes, get political, at least inasmuch as "politics of identity" goes. Gender, sexuality, concepts of family and fealty and purpose. Really explore what it means to be human.

Offline Yora

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 09:33:13 AM »
I would like to see a Sword & Sorcery adventures series with a bit of a retro look. Just people with swords and firelight, no huge CGI monsters and laser shows. Somehow I think Elric might have decent potential. Not quite sure if Conan would work.

Something original would obviously best. With a mediterranean or Indian environment and Bronze Age cultural influences. And lots of indirect soft magic where you can't exactly tell when something is a spell or fate, and spirits are working invisibly in the background.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Bender

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 05:05:46 PM »
More asian themes. Chinese three kingdoms and Japanese Samurai times have always interested me.
Indian mythology too. As diversified as Greco-Roman and as interesting.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 03:40:19 PM »
I'd want something episodic, not serialised. Maybe something about bounty hunters tracking a different monster/rogue each week. Almost like a fantasy Blacklist or CSI.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline isos81

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 04:01:08 PM »
I'd want something episodic, not serialised. Maybe something about bounty hunters tracking a different monster/rogue each week. Almost like a fantasy Blacklist or CSI.

Like Supernatural?

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 05:51:00 PM »

Like Supernatural?

Exactly like Supernatural, but set in a secondary world.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Yora

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 12:55:51 PM »
Somehow I think Elric might have decent potential.
Turns out, there actually is a show in production.

We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Rostum

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 01:14:26 AM »
Rivers of London (done right)

Offline laughs

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 08:52:51 AM »
I'd love to watch a cross between Captain Planet and Josie and the Pussycats, with--hold it--cast from the Scooby Doo show as well.