June 01, 2020, 08:47:05 AM

Author Topic: I'm thinking of getting cats  (Read 11351 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: I'm thinking of getting cats
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 12:45:09 AM »
Yeah thought so, I remember reading about them ages ago. Really sad that there seems to be no way of stopping them.  :-\
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 07:22:50 AM »
Yes, the cane toad is a nasty beastie, it also has no natural predators, because it's poisonous to anything else that eats it.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2015, 01:12:10 PM »
Since I threw in the bit about feline brain parasites, I'll throw in this article on the pro kitty side. Whether this is persuasive for cats a pets or not, I'll leave up the reader.  ;) ;D

Bangalore Times
It’s official! Cats are better than dogs
Agencies | Aug 14, 2015, 11.12 PM IST

It’s official! Cats are better than dogs
Evolutionarily speaking, that is. A study of 2,000 ancient fossils reveals that cats have historically been much better at surviving than dogs

London: It's the debate that has long divided animal lovers. Now scientists have confirmed that cats really are better than dogs - at least from an evolutionary perspective.
A groundbreaking study of 2,000 ancient fossils reveals that felids - the cat family - have historically been much better at surviving than the "canid" dog clan, and often at the latter's expense.
The research finds that cats have played a significant role in making 40 dog species extinct, outcompeting them for scarce food supplies because they are generally more effective hunters. But researchers found no evidence that dogs have wiped out a single cat species.
The dog family - which includes the wolves from which today's domesticated dogs are descended - originated in North America about 40 million years ago and reached a maximum diversity around 20 million years later, when there were more than 30 species on the continent. At that point, the cat family arrived from Asia.
"The arrival of cats to North America had a deadly impact on the diversity of the dog family. We usually expect changes in climate to play the overwhelming role in the evolution of species. Instead, competition among different carnivore species proved to be even more important for the dogs," said the report's lead author, Dr Daniele Silvestro, of the University of Lausanne in Switzerland.

The influx of cats prompted a period of dramatic decline among the dog clan. This has left North America with just nine species of wild dog today, comprising different variations of wolves and foxes, according to the fossil analysis published in the journal PNAS.

Dr Silvestro says it is unclear exactly why, when times were tough, the cats were able to see off dogs so comprehensively. But he believed it could be something to do with the retractable claws that ancient cats have passed down to their domesticated descendants, but which dogs don't have.

Millions of years ago, some dog species, such as wolves, were effective killing machines, chasing down their prey at high speed and devouring it. All surviving dog species fall into this "runner" camp. But other dog species ambushed their prey in a manner similar to the cat family. However, these dogs weren't as good as the cats at this technique - and all the canid species who used it are now extinct.

Dr Silvestro explained: "The cats have retractable claws which they only pull out when they catch their prey. This means they don't wear them out and they can keep them sharp. But the dogs can't do this, so they are at a disadvantage to the cats in an ambush situation."

The evolutionary success of carnivorous animals is strongly linked to their ability to obtain food, meaning that there can be significant competition for prey when there is insufficient supply for the population.
"Felids must have been more efficient predators than most of the extinct species in the dog family," the report concluded.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »
I love my cat, but my wife hates her (only because of her annoying habits). I say go for it. They are worth the fuss.

My cat's fun little habits:

Trips you in the hallway when hungry.
Scratches on the door to go outside. Once you let her out, she immediately scratches the door to come back in.
Beats your face with her tail while sleeping.
Stairs at the corner for no reason at all for extended periods of time. <---- super creepy
Refuses to chase mice.

Oh, and all cats are notorious for laying across anything you are working on. Such as a laptop or notebook. Fun times for us writers.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 06:36:04 PM by night_wrtr »

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 12:16:29 PM »
This is why you should get more than one cat:

I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 05:14:21 PM »
Well, I've decided on getting two cats. I know of a month-old litter in the next fjord over with two toms. There are five children in the home so the kittens are getting constant cuddles which they are fine with, so clearly they have the temperament I want.

They also look really cute. One is black with a white underside, the other is white with a black tail and a sort of a black bowtie on his forehead.

I'm thinking of calling them Salt and Pepper.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Hedin

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2015, 05:22:57 PM »
This is why you should get more than one cat:

Our calico passed a couple years ago but here is more mulitple cat cuteness:

Offline Hedin

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2015, 05:23:46 PM »
Also more cat cuteness of a different sort:

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2015, 05:24:23 PM »
Come ooooonnnn
I'm supposed to not really care about cats, but those photos are cuteness exemplified ;D

in the next fjord
Am I the only one that thinks this is a great location? Sounds so... Fantasy! 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2015, 07:00:31 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks this is a great location? Sounds so... Fantasy! 8)

It has occurred to me that several Icelandic place names, translated into English, sound very fantasy indeed.

We have Weapons Fjord, the Lava of Evil Deeds, the Troll Peninsula, Aesir-Fort, Dark Cliffs...

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2015, 07:17:22 PM »

It has occurred to me that several Icelandic place names, translated into English, sound very fantasy indeed.

We have Weapons Fjord, the Lava of Evil Deeds, the Troll Peninsula, Aesir-Fort, Dark Cliffs...

Those are wonderful. Is the Troll Peninsula... nice?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2015, 07:28:08 PM »

It's very mountainous.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2015, 08:38:24 PM »

It's very mountainous.

When I google images for the Troll Peninsula, I see lots of white snow. Do you have snow in Iceland?   :o ;D
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2015, 09:44:47 PM »
Saw this and thought I should share:

Helpful Advice: How to Give a Pill to Your Cat.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2015, 09:52:53 PM »
My apartment could use some more life in it, pets are proven to be good for mental well-being and somehow I'm lately feeling inspired to make changes to my life.
Thing is, I live on the fourth floor in a 43 square meter (462 feet) apartment. I have never really agreed with keeping cats locked up inside but accounts I've been getting lately have gradually been changing my life. It's also why I'm thinking of getting TWO: So they'll get companionship from one another while I'm not at home.

I would like to get some more opinions/stories about cats living in small homes.

Cats are all, on some level, evil, which is why I love them. :) It's been a really long time since we've had cats, so I'm no help other than I love their attitudes. We did have two sibling cats and that worked very well for a time, but one of them had some strange degenerative genetic disorder and only lived a couple years. The other cat did not do well with that, especially since the timing was really bad in that we had our first kid shortly after as well. He didn't like it.  :-\
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com