July 18, 2019, 01:53:46 AM

Author Topic: How do you choose your next book?  (Read 2512 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
Re: How do you choose your next book?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 01:59:57 AM »
Randomly, with as little logic and as much meandering as possible

Offline Alex

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 11:21:15 AM »
Randomly, with as little logic and as much meandering as possible

Ditto.

Offline Skip

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 06:28:27 PM »
I have a list. Started it years ago by scraping other lists off the Net. Top 50 SF. Best 100 novels of all time. That sort of thing. Compiled a big ol' spreadsheet, cut out the ones I'd already read, trimmed off a few I knew I wasn't going to read because I knew I didn't like the author, or whatnot. Completely arbitrary. This still left a couple hundred books--more books than I have years.

I will still be taken in by a new book here and there. The Expanse currently has my attention, for example, and it's not even on that list. But whenever I'm looking for a book, or am feeling down because the last few books have been crap (thank you Mr Sturgeon), I'll go back to the spreadsheet and pull something out. It's had me read people I'd never have read otherwise--John Fowles, Truman Capote, John Updike. Gets me out into other fields. Some I liked, some I didn't, and a few blew my socks off and made the whole list worthwhile.

There's one other benefit worth mentioning. A person gets to a point in life when birthday and Christmas presents are a chore. Not buying for others, but helping them buy for you. What do you want for your birthday, Dad? It's not fair to say I don't know or it doesn't matter. They want the gift to mean something.

So I share that spreadsheet. If you're stuck for something to buy, I tell friends-and-relatives, just grab any old thing from the spreadsheet (I remove books as I've read them). Inscribe it with name and year, and with any message or none at all. I now have a couple shelves of books from my children. It's nice.

Offline Bender

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 11:55:28 PM »
My mood. Sometimes I feel like lighter read or a different genre.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline isos81

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2019, 12:00:37 PM »
I choose the candidates based on my tastes and then create a poll in this forum :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Rostum

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 07:21:36 PM »
I cast the enchanted monkey bones or divine my next read from the entrails of a chicken.