October 15, 2019, 12:48:14 PM

Author Topic: Got a blog? Share it!  (Read 41536 times)

Offline Peat

Re: Got a blog? Share it!
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2016, 01:24:35 PM »
Thanks Jmack :)

I often do the "good parts version" re-read too! Eddings lends himself very well for that.

And go for it! I'm quite serious. The modern heroes are street urchins and princes. Which is cool and all but I do miss some good old back country hero. Problem is, I'm not sure people have noticed the world has changed.

Now, if you want to do a really unique hero, do one who grows up knowing both of their parents in a supportive and loving environment... ;)
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Peat

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2016, 01:33:25 PM »
I guess I have a typical author blog/site, set up fairly recently.
http://cameronjohnston.blogspot.co.uk/

I probably should do more with it.

You should certainly mention it has photos of Dr Strange Lego on it. Dude. Awesome.

I can't see a subscribe button on there? Or at least one that works, the one right at the bottom doesn't.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2016, 02:16:46 PM »
I guess I have a typical author blog/site, set up fairly recently.
http://cameronjohnston.blogspot.co.uk/

I probably should do more with it.

You should certainly mention it has photos of Dr Strange Lego on it. Dude. Awesome.

I can't see a subscribe button on there? Or at least one that works, the one right at the bottom doesn't.

Cheers Peat, that should be fixed now!

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2016, 09:40:02 PM »
What's your blog?
Errr... I've got 2, working on 3...  The one that relates closest to this site is Nerd Empire, basically a site for me to nerd out online.  I have an older one called Politics and Chicken.

What sort of stuff do you write about?

So Nerd Empire is a work in progress (like my only book, which I've been editing for 5 years....).  I have some author-related stuff up right now (even though I'm not much of an author w/o a book...), but I don't really envision it as an author site.

Eventually I want it to be a nerd-interest monthly magazine.  Maybe I'll interview concept artists, do some social commentary on hacking in the media vs. real life.  Etc.  I just can't get it to look the way I want to, so I haven't launched yet.  Not for lack of trying. #veryveryveryfrustrating  I want it to look very article-like, magazine-like. I CAN'T GET THINGS TO FIT ON THE PAGE RIGHT AND IT'S DRIVING ME MAD!!!

Politics and Chicken has more of my blog posts on them, they're more like hyperlinked politico-social commentary with titles like "Muerta-palooza and white people" and "Missionaries, militaries and murderers" where I do things like compare Sara Palin and Mark Twain's folksy-ness in a chart. It takes a lot of work to write these, so I haven't been good about keeping up with it.

What's the URL

http://www.nerdempire.org/

https://politicsandchicken.wordpress.com/

Why'd you start blogging?

Mostly to express myself with politics and chicken.  I process the f*ed up way I see the world in prose and post it.  I probably have 6 followers :) 

What I'd like to do w/ Nerd Empire is a little different.  I want to pull together a community of nerds to celebrate nerdness a sort of Take Back the Night and Now Take Over The World for nerdy kids that get bullied in school and became/will become adults that love nerdy stuff.  I'd like to get contributors and stuff so it's not just me writing on it.  Maybe something like this:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 09:49:37 PM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline Peat

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2016, 12:45:32 PM »
Some very impressive stuff on the Politics and Chicken site. Did you actually travel to Ecuador yourself?
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Quill

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2016, 03:25:35 PM »
I'll just add my little link to the collection. My blog is part of my overall site and doesn't really have a name, though the link to it is called Town Crier, so I suppose that would be it.

I generally write about (fantasy) literature - not specific books or reviews, but rather literary theory. I have one post that discusses just how opposite to each other fantasy and science fiction is; another is a discussion of archetypical symbolism and narrative patterns in fantasy (that post is basically an abbreviation of my master's thesis from university). I just wrote a post about world building in fantasy, but that was a guest post on somebody else's blog. I also often mention etymology, since that is something I am spending a lot of time on in regards to fantasy.

The site is here: http://www.annalsofadal.net

I blog mostly to shamelessly get attention from the fantasy community, but it's also a good outlet for my thoughts on the genre, the art, and a lot of other areas. Considering these topics also often ends up helping me contemplate my own writing and improve it.
The Eagle's Flight - Free ebook for fantasy fans at www.annalsofadal.net

Latest blog post - 7 Ways to Help Indie Authors: www.annalsofadal.net/blog

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2016, 02:25:59 AM »
Some very impressive stuff on the Politics and Chicken site. Did you actually travel to Ecuador yourself?

Awe!  Thanks!!!!!

I lived in South America for more or less 4 years at various times.  Sometimes working for NGOs, sometimes doing research in the Amazon. (I've also worked in Mali, Niger, Colombia, Mexico, Indonesia, Malaysia) I've written a lot of creative nonfiction on it, but never really gotten any takers on a long-form nonfiction reflective essays. Not sure what to do with it all.  I've got a fucktonne of those sorts of things sitting on my hard drive.

I tried to read your rugby blog but I'm from the states and super nerdy and don't follow sports and you were using all these advanced sports words I don't know so it sort of read like fasdjklfdsa ljksfadjlfk  fdsaljkfsadjlk backs fasljkfasjlsfjlkfsd rugby falkjasdfjklfdsa team.

I generally write about (fantasy) literature - not specific books or reviews, but rather literary theory. I have one post that discusses just how opposite to each other fantasy and science fiction is; another is a discussion of archetypical symbolism and narrative patterns in fantasy (that post is basically an abbreviation of my master's thesis from university). I just wrote a post about world building in fantasy, but that was a guest post on somebody else's blog. I also often mention etymology, since that is something I am spending a lot of time on in regards to fantasy.

Oooohhhh sounds right up my alley! I like the site and your endorsements are hilarious. Congrats on being cool enough to get a guest post!  I liked your musings on Sci Fi vs. Fantasy-- for me the difference is fundamentally about a nostalgic reificaiton of hierarchy and the status quo (fantasy) vs. dystopic social critique (sci fi).  I wanted to comment on your blog but I don't think comments are enabled... Good stuff!!!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:29:43 AM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline Quill

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2016, 09:19:09 AM »

Oooohhhh sounds right up my alley! I like the site and your endorsements are hilarious. Congrats on being cool enough to get a guest post!  I liked your musings on Sci Fi vs. Fantasy-- for me the difference is fundamentally about a nostalgic reificaiton of hierarchy and the status quo (fantasy) vs. dystopic social critique (sci fi).  I wanted to comment on your blog but I don't think comments are enabled... Good stuff!!!!

I'm glad you liked it! That means a lot. After reading your reply, I did a little jiggery and added a comment box to the blog posts. I think it may require you to sign up to disqus (the platform for the comments), and I understand if you prefer not. If you do want to leave a comment on the post, I'd love to have a discussion about it. I think you're right in many ways about fantasy pulling backwards in time, towards what once was (usually utopian), and science fiction pulls forwards in time, towards what could be (usually dystopian, as you mention). I touch on it with my hourglass metaphor, but I didn't consider the utopia/dystopia aspect... maybe a topic for a future blog post. =)
The Eagle's Flight - Free ebook for fantasy fans at www.annalsofadal.net

Latest blog post - 7 Ways to Help Indie Authors: www.annalsofadal.net/blog

Offline Peat

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2016, 03:33:39 PM »
If fantasy is about nostalgic thinking about hierarchy and the status quo, that's a relatively new thing imo (and one that's being challenged again), for there is little of that to Howard, Leiber or Moorcock. But this might be one for a topic elsewhere in the forum?

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2016, 06:39:56 PM »

Yeah, that thought doesn't apply everywhere.
Well, on the plus side, comments that a ton of people disagree with are great for encouraging discussion...

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2016, 08:32:25 PM »
Well, noticing this thread sure took me long enough, but I thought I'd pop in and state that, yes, I do have a blog:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5447983.El_Freysson/blog

Coming up with subjects doesn't seem to come naturally to me, but I am working on it.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2016, 09:12:59 PM »
That's a blessing Eli - some struggle to open up - others can never shut up. Or so my wife tells me.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Pete Delaney

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2016, 08:06:15 AM »
My blog covers photography and the upcoming novel 'The White Dagger of Albathon' #TWDOA - but is also used as an outlet to talk about other topics too.  It's my connection to the world.

For instance on the blog page at the moment there's an interesting tale, that is factual (I know because it happened to me), that I'm sure would grab the interests of those curious about the paranormal, or other intelligent life....

https://pgdelaney.com/2016/08/27/walking-shadows/

https://pgdelaney.com/

Pete. :)

PGDelaney.com
A World of Creativity

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2016, 02:02:38 AM »
Your photographs are beautiful

Offline Pete Delaney

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2016, 08:17:21 AM »
Thank you Bradley. :)
PGDelaney.com
A World of Creativity