October 16, 2019, 11:08:04 PM

Author Topic: Goodreads  (Read 94350 times)

Offline SugoiMe

Re: Goodreads
« Reply #300 on: February 10, 2016, 12:50:36 AM »
I didn't get any notifications, but I think I have notifications for updates and reviews turned off.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 10, 2016, 06:57:52 AM »
No notifications either, plus there are no duplicates on the feed so I suspect there's something built-in to handle that kind of situation. :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Yora

« Reply #302 on: February 10, 2016, 10:34:17 AM »
A query to any of my friends on GR. Yesterday I wrote a review and then went in 4 times straight after to edit because I still found minor typos. The add to my update box was ticked so I have an uncomfortable feeling that you got a notification for each edit. If this is so,please accept apologies and also let me know if that happened so I can turn that box off in the future
Can't you remove the previous ones from your list? There's a little x on the right of each item that I think should do that. I use it a lot, asuming it does what I think.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #303 on: February 22, 2016, 04:16:03 PM »
Nope. Or at least I don't know how  ::)

@Lanko I merged one of my old posts to the top of that new topic to see if that will allow you to edit your post. If not, I can unlock the topic which I know will fix it. I can't remember if locking restricts people from editing their existing posts. I also know the first post can sometimes behave a little different than the others so figured it was worth a shot.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 02, 2016, 06:18:29 AM »
Woo hoo so impressed, Michael J Sullivan actually read and replied to my GR review of Death of Dulgath.  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for listening to The Death of Dulgath. I'm so glad you enjoyed this latest adventure with Royce and Hadrian. Tim Gerard Reynolds is indeed great, and if I have anything to do with it (and I do these days), he'll always be the voice of Riyria. I'm currently proofing his narration of my new series, The Legends of the First Empire and it's wonderful....although I knew it would be
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #305 on: May 02, 2016, 11:16:19 AM »
He's a cool guy. I emailed him a few months ago about seeing if he could get Graphic Audio to adapt his books, and he said that he's been wanting it to happen, but it slipped his mind. He said he would look into it, and thanked me for the reminder. I think I'm going to ask him again during his AMA in June to see if there's any progress on that.

BeardKing

« Reply #306 on: May 02, 2016, 04:06:52 PM »
MJS is awesome! Makes you feel good when an author directly communicates with their fans. :)

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 06, 2016, 02:13:01 AM »
@Lanko I just sent you a recommendation on GR, for Feist's Magician. Unfortunately didn't realise at first connection on tablet was slow and kept pressing Send because I am impatient. You may have received it about ten times. Sincere apologies. :-[
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #308 on: May 06, 2016, 02:20:09 AM »
@Lanko I just sent you a recommendation on GR, for Feist's Magician. Unfortunately didn't realise at first connection on tablet was slow and kept pressing Send because I am impatient. You may have received it about ten times. Sincere apologies. :-[

Nope, only once. But what did you mean by "you need to know what you just became?" That sounded so ominous and scary hah.

EDIT: Ah, Valherus  ::)

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:43:52 AM by Lanko »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 16, 2016, 03:03:44 AM »
I am getting strangely in appropriate recommendations from GR itself, that make me laugh, but question how their computer's recommendations formula works. Does anyone else get odd suggestions from GR?

Because I liked Capital by John Lanchester, basically about the middle-class inhabitants of a London Street and their lives as they coped with banking crash, terrorist threat and deportation orders but including  lighter everyday moments, GR sent me this rec:-

Kiss me Judas

Have you ever loved someone who's mortally wounded you? Phineas Poe, disgraced cop and morphine addict, has just been released from a psych ward when he meets a beautiful woman named Jude in a hotel bar. Red dress, black hair, body like a knife. He takes her back to his room and wakes the next morning in a bathtub full of blood and ice, missing a kidney.

Dragging himself from a hospital bed, Phineas discovers he wants to be with Jude like a hunger -- and he wants to find her and kill her. Falling for her is the start of a twisted love story that takes him from the snowy streets of Denver to the high plains of Texas where the boundaries between torturer and victim, killer and accomplice, become nightmarishly distorted.(less)

What am I missing? Better still, anyone here who read Capital, what on earth did I miss there?

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #310 on: May 16, 2016, 07:43:34 AM »
I am getting strangely in appropriate recommendations from GR itself, that make me laugh, but question how their computer's recommendations formula works. Does anyone else get odd suggestions from GR?

Same thing here.

Because I read Prince of Thorns and Beyond Redemption, among others, Goodreads recommend to me pretty much every time Guns of the Dawn...which is labeled as Fantasy, Steampunk and Historical Fiction and pretty much has nothing to do with the the books I mentioned.

A standalone, action-packed pseudo-Napoleonic historical fantasy adventure from the esteemed author of the Shadows of the Apt series.

Denland and Lascanne have been allies for generations, but now the Denlanders have assassinated their king, overthrown the monarchy and marched on their northern neighbour. At the border, the war rages; Lascanne's brave redcoats against the revolutionaries of Denland.

Emily Marshwic has watched the war take her brother-in-law and now her young brother. Then comes the call for more soldiers, to a land already drained of husbands, fathers and sons. Every household must give up one woman to the army and Emily has no choice but to join the ranks of young women marching to the front.

In the midst of warfare, with just enough training to hold a musket, Emily comes face to face with the reality: the senseless slaughter; the weary cynicism of the Survivor's Club; the swamp's own natives hiding from the conflict.

As the war worsens, and Emily begins to have doubts about the justice of Lascanne's cause, she finds herself in a position where her choices will make or destroy both her own future and that of her nation.

But that's the only case so far, or maybe I only noticed because this book appears pretty much every day on my recommended tab.

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 16, 2016, 07:49:04 AM »
Sorry @Lanko you clearly like anguish, bloodthirsty slaughter and violent revolution.  Blame Jorg. ;D

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #312 on: May 16, 2016, 08:04:26 AM »
Sorry @Lanko you clearly like anguish, bloodthirsty slaughter and violent revolution.  Blame Jorg. ;D

What gave you that impression? But now that you put it this way, maybe I should check it out  ::)

I went to check the book in the Recommended tab and the other top books that people really enjoyed alongside this one are The Copper Promise, The Vagrant, The Greatcoats and Promise of Blood.

They seem so different from each other, but that's how the system works, I guess.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 16, 2016, 08:19:33 AM »
I don't mind the goodread recommendations but there are hit and miss.

It's struggling to recommend a book simular to sharkpunk, probably get jaws recommended to me lol
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 16, 2016, 10:15:12 AM »