October 16, 2019, 01:18:09 PM

Author Topic: Goodreads  (Read 94333 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Goodreads
« Reply #210 on: January 02, 2016, 04:46:27 PM »
I'll be lucky to read 5 books in 2016.
Just sayin'.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #211 on: January 02, 2016, 05:01:24 PM »
I read 90 from a goal of 75. But I only started giving shots at writing at September. And a lot were business/short books as well.

So I set a goal of 50 this year.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 02, 2016, 05:17:15 PM »
16 books seem low but then we not average here
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #213 on: January 02, 2016, 07:38:02 PM »
I'll be lucky to read 5 books in 2016.
Just sayin'.
What's happening?? :-\
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #214 on: January 02, 2016, 08:00:16 PM »
What exactly is goodreads about?  I've thought of joining for a while, but I don't know.  Is it like another social media kind of thing but for readers of all things books?
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #215 on: January 02, 2016, 08:08:19 PM »
What exactly is goodreads about?  I've thought of joining for a while, but I don't know.  Is it like another social media kind of thing but for readers of all things books?

Yes! In a way. There's no chat/spam thing.
You can create your own shelves, join groups, read reviews, vote on stuff. Keep track of a lot of things about your reading, compare books with friends, get/give recommendations based on preferences, etc! You should join now!

https://www.goodreads.com
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 02, 2016, 08:22:52 PM »
I think you can use it like that, but I don't. I just use it to rate books once I've read them, so that I can keep track of all my ratings, when I read things, look at reading statistics (etc etc) really easily.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Yora

« Reply #217 on: January 02, 2016, 08:52:26 PM »
The most useful feature to me is that you can make a list of books you have read and rate how much you liked them, and which books you are planning to read, and it makes you a list of recommendations of other books you might probably like based on that.
And then you can read the user reviews of those recommended books to see if it's something you want to give a try.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 02, 2016, 08:59:03 PM »
For me its seeing what raptori etc  rated and going what he liked that book well I never

I would love to see jmack shelf,see what weird stuff his put on it
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:01:35 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2016, 01:20:13 AM »

I don't use it for social media myself but I think some people find it good for that. I choose to keep a private account limited to GR friends who are also here, but you can still give comment and chat among your friends or comment on other people's reviews.

I only joined recently thanks to @Eclipse but like it very much and find it useful. GR is one of  the best sites I have found with a system of  keeping book lists easily and creating shelves to suit exactly how you would like to sort your books, you just make up your own names for shelves.

The shelves can be straightforward like fantasy/classics or you could have 'my very most favourite and adored books' which is one I am considering.  ;D Also there is a wide choice of how much or little you want to sort them and display them and it is easy to do a quick sort on the criteria anytime. It also means you and all your friends can see all the books you've read and find how many you have in common.

There is quite a lot of fun, like quizzes and author news /information as well. If you decide to join let us know on this thread, I'm sure you'll get friend requests from here . ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2016, 04:59:25 AM »
Cool, thanks for all the info.  I'm still debating whether or not to join, but if I do, I'll let y'all know.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #221 on: January 03, 2016, 05:10:08 AM »
One thing that people forgot to mention. The author groups. For example, the one for Brandon
Sanderson is awesome for finding out information in his Stormlight books that you would never even think about. It's fun to speculate with people on what will happen next. Also, you get fun discussions like, "Shardblade Vs. Lightsaber."
That's just the Sanderson one, but there are a bunch of others. Sometimes, the authors allow people to ask them questions, which is why I joined in the first place. And, if you want, you can ask questions to the community at large.
And of course, there's the ratings, reviews, recommendations, comparing book shelves with friends, seeing how many pages you've read all year, polls, quotes of the day, lists... Yeah. You should join. It's a book nerd's heaven!

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2016, 07:16:50 AM »
Cool, thanks for all the info.  I'm still debating whether or not to join, but if I do, I'll let y'all know.
If you prefer to focus on the detailed catalogue side of your library, with the social media part taking a back step, then you can also consider LibraryThing. You can see what it looks like by clicking the site link on my profile.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #223 on: January 09, 2016, 09:55:35 PM »
I ended up joining.  You guys convinced me. :)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 09, 2016, 10:22:09 PM »
I ended up joining.  You guys convinced me. :)

That's good news. ;D You'll find some of our links on this thread, so send friend requests when you are ready, or link us to your new page and we'll request you.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic