October 15, 2019, 12:35:34 PM

Author Topic: Goodreads  (Read 94141 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Goodreads
« Reply #180 on: October 29, 2015, 12:26:45 PM »
So I'm 14 books behind on my 2015 reading challenge.

Been on a short story kick, but time is running out.

Completely forgot about that and haven't even added what I read recently. Laaaaame! Besides I've picked up quite a few books that I haven't finished, so it's sad that "half a book" isn't an option toward page count.  ::)
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2015, 12:30:07 PM »

There's an easy solution to that:

8)

What's your target number?
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2015, 12:39:34 PM »

There's an easy solution to that:

8)

What's your target number?

Lol

Goal of 30

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2015, 01:41:17 PM »
Hehe... I'm 40% into my 100 challenge.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2015, 01:36:48 AM »
Hehe... I'm 40% into my 100 challenge.

You can do it!

Offline Yora

« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2015, 05:07:43 PM »
Oh wow.There's a lot of people in the Fantasy Faction group.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2015, 09:59:29 PM »
Oh wow.There's a lot of people in the Fantasy Faction group.

But it is rather defunct.  :-\

Mainly used it to keep track of the Book Club reads, and now with that gone, there's pretty much no activity in there (well, to be fair, there never really was much, just updated the books we were reading for book club each month)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #187 on: November 05, 2015, 04:51:52 AM »
I don't use Goodreads and I don't set specific reading targets, but I do like to read more than 50 a year. I'm at about 83 now, I'd like to crack 100, but I don't think I'll quite get there.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Yora

« Reply #188 on: November 05, 2015, 07:51:52 AM »
We got a forum here, so it doesn't seem that surprising that the forum at goodreads sees little use.

I made the account primarily to try out the recommendation function. My usual approach to look up things that people keep talking about a year after release doesn't seem to work when it comes to fantasy books. Works great with movies, TV shows, and videogames, but books that are currently popular don't seem to be doing much for me.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #189 on: November 05, 2015, 08:24:01 AM »
I don't use Goodreads and I don't set specific reading targets, but I do like to read more than 50 a year.
This (I'm reading number 50 now)

Lately, because of the true monsters of books I read, I end up comparing number of pages instead of number of books. It's better, especially if you're self-competitive and want to 'improve' year over year ;)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Hedin

« Reply #190 on: November 05, 2015, 01:08:19 PM »
I don't use Goodreads and I don't set specific reading targets, but I do like to read more than 50 a year. I'm at about 83 now, I'd like to crack 100, but I don't think I'll quite get there.

I use it to just keep track of what I have read.  I don't set targets or do reviews or anything, its just an easier system than making my own spreadsheet which I would eventually lose.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #191 on: November 05, 2015, 10:10:21 PM »
Here you guys go. If anyone wants to add me. https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/32167959-justin-heard

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 21, 2015, 09:22:02 AM »
@Eclipse shamed me into getting my books updated properly because they were a weird collection from a Kindle sync before. I'm learning so haven't done the editions properly or learned to shelve accurately.  Nor put  any dates in because I've gathered them over so long.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 05:09:48 AM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #193 on: November 21, 2015, 04:03:14 PM »
I created an account on Goodreads by the end of October, been enjoying it so far.

If anyone wants to add me: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/48367198-lanko
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 27, 2015, 10:13:16 AM »
Thanks to all my new Goodreads friends - needless to say they are all from F-F and I  enjoy seeing what books we like in common.  :)

I am rather alarmed by how this site has a life of it's own and is making untrue statements about my reading habits. Don't believe what it is saying . :o  It is stalking me on Kindle and says what % I've read,  which is silly because often downloading a new one  I read a chapter or so just to get a feel then leave it for later.

Hmm, is it also sending you a great many automatic recommendations from me and reporting on my every book-move? If so, don't necessarily believe it. If I want to recommend I'll do so with a review.

I am readjusting and correcting my lists to  get covers etc right because at first I just clicked author by author to get listed what I had read, now I'm tidying up. All those books it says I am reading is because at first I put all my reference books as Reading because they are on-going , but now I'll change them to Read to avoid confusion.

Question please - if you have reviewed a book elsewhere online, in another forum or for audible is it acceptable to put same review in Goodreads?
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic