November 19, 2019, 11:19:30 AM

Author Topic: Goodreads  (Read 96379 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Goodreads
« Reply #195 on: November 27, 2015, 10:36:35 AM »
Just tried to a add a few of you guys on my phone and apparently it's not possible to add users with private profiles with the goodreads app...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: Goodreads
« Reply #196 on: November 27, 2015, 10:46:11 AM »
I'm not getting any recommendation off you Lady Ty
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 27, 2015, 10:54:29 AM »
Thanks @Eclipse, I still have to learn what is automatic and what you do for yourself. ;D 
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #198 on: November 27, 2015, 11:29:55 AM »
Question please - if you have reviewed a book elsewhere online, in another forum or for audible is it acceptable to put same review in Goodreads?
Yes, absolutely fine and very common. :) I always post my reviews on Goodreads regardless of where they were first posted. I like seeing everyone else's reviews in there as well, it's nice to look up a book and quickly have access to any reviews my friends may have written. I think publishers appreciate any exposure, so they are good with it..
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 11:38:19 AM by Arry »
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Online Yora

« Reply #199 on: November 27, 2015, 01:34:51 PM »
Would be a waste to keep information to one small corner of the internet where few people will see it.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2015, 02:12:20 PM »
oh.  feel free to add me too.

like others, just make sure you say you're from f-f.  otherwise, i tend to ignore people i don't recognize.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #201 on: December 05, 2015, 02:41:14 AM »
Is there any way to write a note about people's profiles? Many use different names than in the forum.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Rostum

« Reply #202 on: December 09, 2015, 06:40:05 PM »
Thanks to those who have asked me to add them. I rarely go to the page tbh. I need to spend a day sorting it all out and updating my shelves.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 16, 2015, 11:45:06 PM »
I'm a bit annoyed with the goodreads challenge... I set it to 100 for this year, and because I only dated the novels I read, I am at 52 now (not including all the stuff I've put down halfway through).
But I read a lot of manga and graphic novels. So much so that if I add only two of the series I've read this year, it adds 41 "books".
They're in my read list, but I never took the time to date their reading to 2015.
So I'm perplexed as to what to do. If I account for my graphic reading, I'd be closer to 200, yet it doesn't feel like what the challenge was about. However, reading manga is still reading, so I'm considering adding and dating the entire series as a one block thing, as if reading the 14 tomes or 30 tomes of another, acted like reading one novel.

What do you guys think?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #204 on: December 16, 2015, 11:51:48 PM »
I say go with it.

If 15 pages short stories are included in the challenge, mangas and graphic novels should be counted for sure!

Now that I think about it, I read the Paksenarrion omnibus (3 books) and 25% of the Complete Sherlock Holmes, and that would only count as 2 for the Challenge.
At least they are counting the number of pages as well.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:20:18 AM by Lanko »

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #205 on: December 17, 2015, 04:49:34 AM »
How do you look at the number of pages? I went on the website the other day and couldn't figure it out.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #206 on: December 17, 2015, 01:44:46 PM »
How do you look at the number of pages? I went on the website the other day and couldn't figure it out.

Only on the My Year in Books. It shows the total pages you read.

EDIT: Actually, you can also go to My Books --> Stats. It even sorts your books by Stars as well. The page count is a little different, but approximate. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 02:03:35 PM by Lanko »

Online Yora

« Reply #207 on: January 02, 2016, 10:32:54 AM »
Funny to see how vastly people overestimated the number of books they were going to read in 2015. Only slightly more than 1% of the people who put down a number for the reading challenge actually reached it.
But 54 books on average seems completely unrealistic to begin with. Some people do read 100 books in a year, but the average for the participants is actually only 16.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #208 on: January 02, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »
I managed 30 in 2015 only because I threw in a few short books...

This year I'm going to do more audible books while at work, so I think 35 is very doable. I didn't want to go too high because I plan on writing an awful lot starting next week.  8)

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #209 on: January 02, 2016, 04:44:24 PM »
I'm going for 52 again.
I went beyond that this year, but I need to make sure I at least read one book a week if I can help it. If I get ahead of myself from reading small books, that's fine. Some weeks are really rough.
The ultimate goal is to read 100 pages each day. Again, when life gets busy that will be tough, but I think I can do it.