December 11, 2019, 02:42:21 PM

Author Topic: Good quotes  (Read 1127 times)

Online Eli_Freysson

Good quotes
« on: August 28, 2016, 12:27:42 AM »
I somehow wound up looking up quotes by famous serial killers (oh boy), and in rejection of all that garbage my mind turned to better quotes. You know, the kind of quotes that live on due to hitting on some big truth.

I thought it would be a good idea to devote a thread to quotes we're fond of.

I'll start off with a couple:

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power". - Abraham Lincoln.

"Great mind discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin Roosevelt.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline MTMaenpaa

Re: Good quotes
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 08:01:13 PM »
“Resist much, obey little.”
? Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
Foodie, Chef, Writer, Reader, Father, Geek

http://laughingcook.wordpress.com/

Offline Sammie

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 03:28:06 PM »
Ultimately, it is the desire, not the desired, that we love. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 01:46:55 AM »
Give a man a gun and a noble cause and he will slaughter any number of innocents.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 02:21:09 AM »
“War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” - JRR Tolkien
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 04:14:13 AM »
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”
? Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 01:32:38 PM »
"Pissing on the grave is forbidden!" - Epitaph from ancient Rome.

I'll show myself out...
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.