November 18, 2018, 06:05:53 AM

Author Topic: Genuine Real Archery  (Read 5895 times)

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
Re: Genuine Real Archery
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 02:30:07 PM »
This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbqz_07dW4

But accurate and fast shooting nonetheless.
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Online Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 07:44:25 AM »

Thank you for the link, I'm sure it's all true and I half expected some serious enthusiast  would shatter my wonder, sooner or later.  :(  But I do enjoy the guy's exhibition tricks and, lets face it, this is a fantasy site so I'm glad we don't have the fun analysed out of existence often. :D :D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 12:22:24 PM »

Thank you for the link, I'm sure it's all true and I half expected some serious enthusiast  would shatter my wonder, sooner or later.  :(  But I do enjoy the guy's exhibition tricks and, lets face it, this is a fantasy site so I'm glad we don't have the fun analysed out of existence often. :D :D
Now I feel bad.  :( I didn't mean to shatter your wonder or belittle the guy's skills. I just happened to watch the two videos one after the other and thought that some of the criticism about the claims the first video made was very much justified. I'm by no means a serious enthusiast or an expert on the matter.

And of course we can take some liberties in fantasy. Some of the guy's tricks fit perfectly to a piece of fantasy. :)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Online Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 12:12:58 AM »

Now I feel bad.  :( I didn't mean to shatter your wonder or belittle the guy's skills. I just happened to watch the two videos one after the other and thought that some of the criticism about the claims the first video made was very much justified. I'm by no means a serious enthusiast or an expert on the matter.

And of course we can take some liberties in fantasy. Some of the guy's tricks fit perfectly to a piece of fantasy. :)

No, no, no -never meant for you to feel bad personally, that's why I use lots of emoticons because I do often write tongue- in-cheek.  I was actually aiming at the person in the link, you are quite right, I'm sure some was well justified but  she was seriously put out and making it clear the poor guy doing the tricks was SOOOOO BAD and I wanted to yell "Loosen up!"
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 09:40:31 AM »

No, no, no -never meant for you to feel bad personally, that's why I use lots of emoticons because I do often write tongue- in-cheek.  I was actually aiming at the person in the link, you are quite right, I'm sure some was well justified but  she was seriously put out and making it clear the poor guy doing the tricks was SOOOOO BAD and I wanted to yell "Loosen up!"
Yeah, I actually got that. I'm a tongue-in-cheek person myself. :P So, let's not feel bad.

And yes, the criticism was (purposefully?) somewhat, let's say, stuck up.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 03:07:48 AM »
I was really impressed by Lars shooting, which is just incredible and will have been achieved through long hours of practise over many years. I have also seen a lot of videos and comments refuting what he has achieved and detracting from it. All by target shooters as far as I can tell. I don't agree with all of Lars Anderson’s assertions or disagree entirely with his critics.

Something to note is target archery is a sport and a discipline you stand still and carry out the same action to loose three arrows at the same target to score points. This is a modern sport adapted from older games.
This has very little to do with combat archery.

I shot for years as a re-enactment archer at static and moving targets and at people in battles and skirmishes. I fletch and have had a go a making longbows with mixed results. I would not claim to be anywhere near as fast or accurate as Lars or any of his detractors or know as much about the modern sport, but I am competent and have taught others how to safely shoot at people. What Lars is looking to rediscover is how the bow was used in war. Well that is very different between cultures and geographicly as well as at different periods in history. I am not sure he will draw accurate conclusions working alone at this from any or every source he can find.
generally foot archers were used to either work the flanks of a skirmish line or as a block to clout a mass of arrows up in the air at approaching enemy formations or opposing archers in most armies that used them.
Horse archers were used to break up formations or pursue a routed enemy.
some of the modern bows Lars uses for some of the video are very low poundage (20lbs at 30 inches at a guess) draw which assist with both accuracy and speed. The arrows he uses are match weight to each other, the bow and his draw length. He is using field piles which are flush to the shaft and easy to retrieve to re-shoot. He would have less luck with a long bodkin that had bent going through armour or a head held on with beeswax which stays whatevers hit or the really nasty barbed heads, designed not to come out.
The bow as a weapon has been developed in pretty much every culture on the planet with lots of differences in construction of both bow and arrows. Combat arrows tend to be big heavy things and lose range due to weight, When clouted up in the air they gain a lot of momentum on the way down.
I can vouch for quivers being totally impractical for combat You keep them in an arrow bag when travelling and tucked through your belt when you need them if you are moving around.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 04:41:02 AM »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 10:44:03 AM »
Too slow, @Nora ;). Check my post a few posts earlier.  :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 10:45:50 AM by ArcaneArtsVelho »

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 01:46:47 PM »
Argh!! I must have cleared "new posts" and came back to the topic assuming I had read it all! Dang, sorry!  :-[ :-X
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 03:35:22 PM »
No worries.  :)

It happens, half the time I don't know which posts I have read (or glanced through).  ;D

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 08:56:09 AM »
This is so amazing and makes sense of so much in our history of the skills of archers, this man is absolutely brilliant. Watch and enjoy-

https://www.nerdist.com/2015/01/badass-danish-youtuber-destroys-every-hollywood-archery-myth/

Holy hell, this is the coolest thing I've ever seen in quite a long while. Now this is the type of archery I'd loved to practice.  :o

Offline Rostum

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 07:32:59 PM »
so what's to stop you?