December 10, 2019, 09:05:09 PM

Author Topic: Free Anti-virus Programs  (Read 2898 times)

Offline ultamentkiller

Free Anti-virus Programs
« on: December 08, 2015, 10:38:48 PM »
You guys all seem like a smart bunch. So any good anti-virus programs out there that are free?
At first, I had Microsoft Security Essentials, but that project flatlined and became useless. for a while now, I've had AVG, but it seems to be failing now.
I don't know where to go next.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Free Anti-virus Programs
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 12:02:09 AM »
You guys all seem like a smart bunch. So any good anti-virus programs out there that are free?
At first, I had Microsoft Security Essentials, but that project flatlined and became useless. for a while now, I've had AVG, but it seems to be failing now.
I don't know where to go next.

I just stopped using Windows except at work. Have never had a virus with Apple.  Smart. 8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 12:03:36 AM »
I'm using Avast.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 12:17:06 AM »

I just stopped using Windows except at work. Have never had a virus with Apple.  Smart. 8)
If only I weren't a broke High School senior.  If only.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 12:29:53 AM »
Depends on your needs risks and concerns. I run Avast or AVG on my systems depending what is going on without issue at the moment.
But I am running win7, wont downgrade from there and am looking at moving one machine to a unix/linux instal for my data the other machine will have nothing but games on it and an email address only used from that machine. VPN is looking appealing again atm.

I currently have a lot of windows functionality crippled including SE and aspects of windows firewall as Microsoft have decided my data is their data and forced windows 10 telementry and keylogging onto older windows systems as critical updates. My future computing will avoid microsoft as far as possible, along with Google & Android.
If you are worried about intrusion thats one thing, but its already happening. If you are worried about your data regular backups is a valid approach.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 12:44:34 AM »
personally, the way i've done it is not use any virus software at all.

lemme 'splain.

the setup:  the wife had a windows computer and she constantly got viruses.  i tried all kinds of different variations of malware software and such.  i still ended up wiping her machine every year or so.  i HATED doing that.

the solution:  i got rid of the anti-virus stuff (it's basically malware in and of itself) in one of the yearly wipes and simply took away her user administrative powers.  tada!  the only real difference is that anytime you want to install something, you have to type in the admin password.  obviously, you'll only want to do that for something you *mean* to install.  it's a very "every os but windows does it that way" kind of thing.

no more viruses.

or, you could just run linux -- something windows-friendly like zorin works nicely.

or you could get a chromebook.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 01:38:59 AM »
Interesting no one has mentioned Malwarebytes. That's the one I use most often, and I like it because it doesn't sit in the background hogging resources. I just do a scan once a month or so to see if I've picked anything up. That said, I'm also fairly saavy about avoiding viruses in the first place, and I don't spend too much in "the weeds" of the Internet, where alot of those tend to lurk.

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned, AdBlock is some of the best anti-virus software you can get, simply because it blocks Ads (which can contain viruses, especially on sites that don't vet them). AdBlock alone will probably lower your infection rate dramatically. I realize there are downsides (Youtube streamers don't get ad revenue, etc) but honestly, until ads get less intrustive (you're really going to cover my whole screen and play a ridiculously loud audio clip?) that's my solution.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 02:24:04 AM »
Malwarebytes is great but I run it only when I think I have an issue as it is invasive and free use/trial periods  are getting trickier.
If i am sorting someone elses machine its the first tool I run to give myself a fighting chance against whatever they have done.

Yeah I run ABP and noscript. Noscript slows things down but at least you get the choice to do something that puts your system at rik or not. I find it interesting the number of sites that run cross scripting.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 03:27:43 AM »
or, you could just run linux -- something windows-friendly like zorin works nicely.

or you could get a chromebook.
I would run Linux, but it doesn't have the programs I like using on there, nor is most of it very blind friendly.
As for a chromebook... :O. You mean that... That... No words.
I've definitely considered experimenting with not running any anti-virus software. I think I'll wait until I get my Mac and run windows through Bootcamp. It's easier for me to reformat and install it that way.
Interesting no one has mentioned Malwarebytes. That's the one I use most often, and I like it because it doesn't sit in the background hogging resources. I just do a scan once a month or so to see if I've picked anything up. That said, I'm also fairly saavy about avoiding viruses in the first place, and I don't spend too much in "the weeds" of the Internet, where alot of those tend to lurk.

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned, AdBlock is some of the best anti-virus software you can get, simply because it blocks Ads (which can contain viruses, especially on sites that don't vet them). AdBlock alone will probably lower your infection rate dramatically. I realize there are downsides (Youtube streamers don't get ad revenue, etc) but honestly, until ads get less intrustive (you're really going to cover my whole screen and play a ridiculously loud audio clip?) that's my solution.
I've heard good things about both of those. It's good to hear multiple people say Malwarbytes. I have a couple friends that use it, but I wasn't sure how effective it was in comparison to AVG.
Now I just need to stop being lazy and download these things...

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 05:09:00 AM »
I don't use antivirus at all - I just have both Adblock and NoScript. I haven't had a single problem in about 5 or 6 years. It's mostly a case of sticking to sites that you trust though.

Saurus has a chromebook, which really is excellent.  :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 10:52:28 AM »
I don't use antivirus at all - I just have both Adblock and NoScript. I haven't had a single problem in about 5 or 6 years. It's mostly a case of sticking to sites that you trust though.
So... you don't use internet at all?  ??? :P

Joking aside, although Adblock and NoScript and the use of UAC are all good, I don't see why one wouldn't use an anti-virus software for added security (at least on a Windows machine). And I personally wouldn't trust websites because even the trustworthy sites can have untrustworthy content/users and insufficient protection/security measures against malware.

I don't go looking for shady sites on the internet, but still my anti-virus software blocks a site (or a script) probably at least once a year. Some of them might be false positives, but I will always rather have a false positive blocked than a malware not blocked. Of course, I don't usually use NoScript (and I sometimes turn off AdBlock to support sites/content creators), so... maybe that's why my anti-virus has to block the things it blocks?

I have used Avast as my anti-virus for about ten years now and the only "problems" I have had with it (that I can remember) were two or three confirmed false positives, slow windows start-up with one or two versions (which affected only some users and was fixed in timely fashion by the developers IIRC), and a recent case of "high" cpu usage (which only affected some users, and which I was able to circumvent; don't know if it is fixed yet). I don't know about you, but for me that's almost nothing,  in terms of problems, compared to many other programs I use daily.
YMMV

And by the way, I just read the other day about some virus targeting Linux (or at least some distros), so I don't think that Linux (or Mac OS) is a definitive answer to protecting your computer from viruses.

I know I said joking aside, but...
That's good, m3mnoch, because virus software is bad, and anti-virus software is good.  ;) ;D
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 12:52:20 PM »
The main reason I can't stand those things is you have to be connected to the Internet to use them. I don't think they even have an offline function. With me being a gamer, that doesn't work very well. Even without that though, I can't install many of the programs I use on it.
And let's say none of that was a problem for me. Google doesn't like blind people as much as apple. There screenreading software is far worse than the one that some Linux distros use. They keep telling us they're making efforts to improve, but things just steadily get worse and worse. I've decided they're mainly trying to use us as PR. "Hey look guys. We're like Apple. We help blind people too."

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 02:05:34 PM »

Joking aside, although Adblock and NoScript and the use of UAC are all good, I don't see why one wouldn't use an anti-virus software for added security (at least on a Windows machine). And I personally wouldn't trust websites because even the trustworthy sites can have untrustworthy content/users and insufficient protection/security measures against malware.

I don't go looking for shady sites on the internet, but still my anti-virus software blocks a site (or a script) probably at least once a year. Some of them might be false positives, but I will always rather have a false positive blocked than a malware not blocked. Of course, I don't usually use NoScript (and I sometimes turn off AdBlock to support sites/content creators), so... maybe that's why my anti-virus has to block the things it blocks?

I have used Avast as my anti-virus for about ten years now and the only "problems" I have had with it (that I can remember) were two or three confirmed false positives, slow windows start-up with one or two versions (which affected only some users and was fixed in timely fashion by the developers IIRC), and a recent case of "high" cpu usage (which only affected some users, and which I was able to circumvent; don't know if it is fixed yet). I don't know about you, but for me that's almost nothing,  in terms of problems, compared to many other programs I use daily.
YMMV

And by the way, I just read the other day about some virus targeting Linux (or at least some distros), so I don't think that Linux (or Mac OS) is a definitive answer to protecting your computer from viruses.
I don't use UAC either actually! Can't stand it - and again, back when I had it on I never once saw it flag up anything that wasn't legitimate.

As to antivirus, if you're not getting viruses it's just an unnecessary waste of resources. When I had antivirus installed it never flagged a thing - and nothing ever came up whenever I scanned the pc - so what's the point? I guess NoScript might makes a big difference - I tend to have it set to block everything and then manually unblock specific things when necessary.

I have to run multiple graphics programs all the time for work, and since my pc isn't brilliant I'm often pushing it close to its abilities (risk of programs freezing up and potentially crashing). Ideally I'd be able to afford a much more powerful computer, but as is I have to just have a sense of what it can handle and what it can't, and I got enough extra power by removing the antivirus that it was noticeable.

Yeah, no OS is immune, it's just that Windows is a more attractive target due to its prevalence. What matters is how you use the computer.

The main reason I can't stand those things is you have to be connected to the Internet to use them. I don't think they even have an offline function. With me being a gamer, that doesn't work very well. Even without that though, I can't install many of the programs I use on it.
And let's say none of that was a problem for me. Google doesn't like blind people as much as apple. There screenreading software is far worse than the one that some Linux distros use. They keep telling us they're making efforts to improve, but things just steadily get worse and worse. I've decided they're mainly trying to use us as PR. "Hey look guys. We're like Apple. We help blind people too."
They do have some offline capabilities, but they're pretty limited. But that's not the point of a Chromebook - it's like complaining that you can't run Photoshop on an iPhone; it's just not what it's for. They're meant to be a cheap web terminal - a lightweight computer you use just for stuff like email, web browsing, word processing, apps, etc. If you want to run games or more heavyweight programs then it's not for you, in the same way that a smartphone isn't fit for that purpose.

We were skeptical about it too, but then we actually thought through what Saurus wanted a laptop for. She already had a separate pc for games and graphics stuff (which isn't connected to the internet), she just needed access to email and the web. Even so we were still tempted to buy a proper laptop, but why pay double the price for extra processing power when it was only going to be used as a web browser anyway? Turns out it was a really good decision.

I just use my pc, but I'd love to have a chromebook so I can use that as an inbox and a web browser, and free up the pc for graphics stuff. As with the cutting out antivirus stuff above, it'd be awesome to be able to do work without having Firefox or Chrome running - especially because they tend to hog ridiculous amounts of resources at times. Firefox often uses as much as Photoshop for me!  :o

Sucks that they're not paying enough attention to accessibility though, totally understandable that you'd avoid them like the plague because of that!
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 02:06:34 PM »
I think the issues you have with unix/linux is that there is a reliance on individual contributers working to a standard. Unless someone who is blind becomes involved and states you need to do this in this way so this will work it will be very hit and miss. Apple is unix based but incredibly protective of their (and anybody elses) IP this prevents development as nobody can afford to take them on through your courts should they transgress. So I doubt they will allow technology they developed to be freely available. You can always get in a swearing match with Linus Torvolds and see if he can get some development going.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 02:48:44 PM »

YMMV

yeah.  i'm (obviously) with raptori on this one.  i just have the advantage of being older, so i've gone 10-15 years without _anti_-virus.  avg was just a young pup when i started using it.  and windows defender beta had just come out.  that's when i had decided i hated giving up so many cpu cycles to anti-virus.

(actually, it's 10 years on the dot -- i just looked up when defender launched on wikipedia, the end of 2005)

rather than adblock (i think it's a stupid plugin), i use privacy badger from the eff which blocks the irritating parts of the internet.  i don't mind seeing ads that are responsible.  they're often so targeted based on the content, they're helpful.  i just HATE ads that light up the fan on my laptop and run down the battery.

anyway.

i've switched to a mac in the last few years, so it's really not even anything i think about anymore.  more so, in the last year, i've put my wife on linux (that zorin os i mentioned) and she can't even tell the difference.  (to her, the computer and the chrome browser are synonymous)  my kid runs on a chromebook.  my media server runs fedora.

come to think about it, there's not a windows machine in the house unless you count the three xboxes.

meh.  this has been a thing since the 90s.  it's very theoretical, but not practical.  viruses are for building a zombie network and it's high-effort/low-roi for anything to target macs or linux over windows -- so they don't.

I know I said joking aside, but...
That's good, m3mnoch, because virus software is bad, and anti-virus software is good.  ;) ;D

ha.  ha.  ha.

(srsly, i totally irl laughed out loud when i read that -- which was awkward at 5:50 in the morning and everyone else in the house is asleep.)