July 06, 2020, 01:43:19 PM

Author Topic: Favourite / Most Prized / Most Special Item in your Library  (Read 8680 times)

Offline Lejays17

Favourite / Most Prized / Most Special Item in your Library
« on: January 23, 2013, 11:51:15 AM »

Inspired by Stars Cascade saying that she has a signed Terry Pratchett book, and it was a most prized item. http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-author-discussion/terry-pratchett/30/

I was thinking of our rather extensive library, and what we have in it, trying to work out what would be my most-prized item in it.
We've got a few signed books by various authors, of which, the 2 Pratchetts, and the ARC of Discount Armageddon are probably my most prized.  Although, I got a Dr Who novella for my birthday which is signed by the author, the editor, and someone else who's signature I can't read  :-\, so that's will probably make this short list too.

Apart from this, The Borribles Trilogy by Michael de Larabetti (I'm sure I've got the spelling of his name wrong!), is special as it's the first book Elfy gave me.
And The Chalet School Does It Again by Elinor M Brent-Dyer too, as it was the final book in the series that I bought after collecting the other 50+ books in the series over about 20 years.  (it was also a bit of a weepy moment too, as it was the last one that I had never read too  :'()

How about you?  What book/s would you rescue from the burning house (after the family/pets/photos of course  ;))?
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Idlewilder

Re: Favourite / Most Prized / Most Special Item in your Library
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:57:41 AM »
Mine would have to be my proof copy of Red Country by Joe Abercrombie. I won it in an online competition in August, subsqequently read it and then got to talk with Joe about it at the Fantasy Faction Blackwells Evening - two months before it came out in the UK! It came with a postcard from Gollancz that said "Congratulations" which I got Joe to sign for me.

One day I'll get the Proof signed.  :D
Make Another World.

Offline Ashes

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Mine would have to be my proof copy of Red Country by Joe Abercrombie. I won it in an online competition in August, subsqequently read it and then got to talk with Joe about it at the Fantasy Faction Blackwells Evening - two months before it came out in the UK! It came with a postcard from Gollancz that said "Congratulations" which I got Joe to sign for me.

One day I'll get the Proof signed.  :D
You jammy badger!

As for my library. A First edition Desert Spear with a signed bookplate by the mighty V. Brett. A rather old hardback Lord of the Rings given to me by my Dad and also his collection of old Pratchett paperbacks that I liberated from his shelf.
And my collection of David Gemmell books and his two graphic novels, not worth that much but the sentimental value is priceless.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:18:54 PM by A.T.Parkinson »
“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the persuit of evil.” David Gemmell

Offline AnneLyle

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 01:27:36 PM »
Probably my very battered three-volume edition of The Lord of the Rings, bought from WHSmith for the princely sum of about one pound a book when I was 16 or 17 (yes, it was a long, long time ago!).

Middle image on this page: http://lotrscrapbook.bookloaf.net/gallery/bookcovers/pages/15.htm
Elizabethan fantasy trilogy The Alchemist of SoulsThe Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies out now from Angry Robot Books!

Offline wikkels

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 05:18:39 PM »
Mine isn't anything wow, it's Harry Potter and the Philosphers stone. But it is the first book I received as a gift and it is what showed me the way to the other realms.

Offline Bahl

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »
Mmm. I have quite a few signed copies. Myke Cole, Tom Lloyd, Scott lynch, mark Lawrence, Jay Kristoff, Mazarkis Williams to name the big hitters. I treasure them all highly.

Most treasured is old hitchikers guide to the galaxy and Lord of the Rings. LOTR was gifted as a present by my wife on my birthday in our first year dating. Hitchikers because it was stolen from my brother when I was 12.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Terry Pratchett

Offline shep5377

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 06:31:40 PM »
I've got Way of Kings and Alloy of Law signed by Brandonbot!

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 07:34:43 PM »
Feast for Crows signed by George RR Martin and Last Hero signed by Terry Pratchett.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
  • Can't think of anything clever for this...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »
The Necronomicon by Lovecraft. Got it after getting a straight A+ report card.  ;D

I haven't lived a relatively long life, so that's as treasured as it can get.
Oh, I have a blog. http://dullboredom.wordpress.com/

Check it out, if you've got the time. Much appreciated.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 08:03:29 PM »
I don't own signed books, but the most prized one is probably this:

complete calvin and hobbes collection (hardcover)

(wouldn't rescue it from a burning building, though - too heavy ;))
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Noona

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 08:34:51 PM »
This is a difficult one. I recently completed my collection of Terry Pratchett books in hardback, although none signed, but I couldn't exactly carry that out in a fire! I've got a few books in hardback which weren't easy to obtain, all 4 Steph Swainston books, 9 Jacqueline Carey books, all Richard Morgan books. I've also got a limited signed special edition of King of Thorns and of Great North Road, and some other regular edition books I got signed when I met the authors, like Anne Lyle, Joe Abercrombie, Brent Weeks, Brandon Sanderson, and Trudi Canavan. I would be very sad to lose any of these books, but the two things I would save would be :
My kindle (signed by several authors) and a leatherbound Jules Verne collection, bought for me by my other half.

Offline Ashes

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 09:35:35 PM »
Mine isn't anything wow, it's Harry Potter and the Philosphers stone. But it is the first book I received as a gift and it is what showed me the way to the other realms.
How could I forget the Potters! I have all but the first two as hardbacks. The most read and battered books I own.
“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the persuit of evil.” David Gemmell

Offline shep5377

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 10:11:26 PM »
The Necronomicon by Lovecraft. Got it after getting a straight A+ report card.  ;D

I know what sort of books I treasured at 14.

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 10:14:48 PM »

Were they hollowed out books with copies of Loaded and FHM inside?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
    • The Marketplace of Opinions
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 10:19:50 PM »

Were they hollowed out books with copies of Loaded and FHM inside?

I thought I was the only one who did that.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy