July 10, 2020, 01:55:59 PM

Author Topic: Fantasy Memes and silly stuff (about books) from the internet  (Read 182270 times)

Offline Eli_Freysson

Re: Fantasy Memes and silly stuff (about books) from the internet
« Reply #915 on: January 21, 2017, 03:42:06 PM »
These are my favourite kinds of Onion articles: B-movie plots, related in a totally dry, serious news manner.

"NEW YORK—Standing mystified in a crowded intersection, Verus Attius Glabrio, a Roman centurion who emerged from a manhole in the middle of New York’s Time Square, is in for a wacky adventure, sources confirmed Wednesday.

Reports stated that Glabrio, a highly decorated military officer from 55 A.D., crawled out of the sewer opening at approximately 8:35 p.m. clad in full Roman Imperial battle armor, immediately causing motorists to swerve, slam on their brakes, scream vulgar remarks, and make obscene hand gestures in his direction..."

http://www.theonion.com/article/roman-centurion-crawling-out-of-new-york-city-manh-35809

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:52:17 PM by Eli_Freysson »
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 21, 2017, 08:54:45 PM »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #917 on: January 23, 2017, 03:43:39 AM »

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #918 on: January 23, 2017, 05:06:51 AM »
Been wondering about this for a while now, how do I post images on the forum? I try putting them as attachments, but the file size is always too large, even if the image resolution already seem pretty low. Can we only post images with urls and links?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:57:10 AM by S. K. InkSlinger »

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #919 on: January 23, 2017, 05:30:50 AM »
ETA: Woops, sorry misread your question. I dunno. M3mnoch's the techy wizard guy in this sitcom.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #920 on: January 23, 2017, 05:35:03 AM »
Bn wondering about this for a while now, how do I post images on the forum? I try lutting them as attachments, but the file size is always too large, even if the image resolution already seem pretty low. Can we only post images with urls and links?

You use the tags (img)image.jpg(/img) ... but replace the ( with brackets.

Also, this one took me FOREVER to learn, but ... there's a Quote button by each post, and it's cool for two reasons. One, of course, is that if you click it, it automatically does the cool thing above where it quotes the person's post into yours. And two ... it also includes any special tags they used.

So next time you are curious about how somebody posted a Youtube clip, or image, or tagged someone, or any of the other randomness you see on this page, you can quote the post and see the text and tags in your own posting window. Reverse engineering!

Yes, I realize it's not, actually. But it made me feel clever when I figured that out. :P

EDIT: Oh, missed the other part of your question. Yes, you can only post images by providing links.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:36:36 AM by tebakutis »

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #921 on: January 23, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »
@The Gem Cutter and @tebakutis Thank you both so much for the help! I am extremely poor when it came to using electronic devices, so the help is really appreciated. :)

http://9gag.com/gag/ao2r1qA

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 23, 2017, 12:11:01 PM »
@The Gem Cutter and @tebakutis Thank you both so much for the help! I am extremely poor when it came to using electronic devices, so the help is really appreciated. :)

http://9gag.com/gag/ao2r1qA

That did not work, because your link is not valid. I don't know what you did, did you just add .JPG at the end of the address of the page? It doesn't work like that.
Right click on the image and select "copy image location" or whatever sounds similar to that. When you paste what you just copied inside a new window, you'll see that you obtained the URL for the image :

http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/ao2r1qA_700b.jpg

That is what you want to put in brackets.

As for doing that, if your reply page looks like mine always does, you'll notice the buttons on top of the smileys?
There is a youtube one, followed by "Sp", and then the third is a square frame, looks like a little painting. That makes the img brackets appear instantly. If you click it first, this appears (I added a space so that it shows):

[img][ /img]

And you only have to paste your image URL in between. But you can also highlight your already existing URL, then click the button, and the brackets will appear around the highlight.

P.S : also you don't need to use any URL brackets like [url], when adding a link. If the link is valid it is automatically made into a clickable one.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #923 on: January 23, 2017, 01:57:59 PM »
@Nora *facepaling myself in embarassment* Thank you so much, Nora! Just to confirm:

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #924 on: January 23, 2017, 04:04:14 PM »
ETA: Woops, sorry misread your question. I dunno. M3mnoch's the techy wizard guy in this sitcom.

heh.  sorry.  i was encased in a playoff football castle yesterday.  didn't get in here to see this.  looks like everyone got things figured out tho!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: January 25, 2017, 12:43:35 AM »
So everyoe is going crazy about the butcher who sprinkles "salt" over his cutlets like a magician fairy powder, but have you seen the cop who takes the piss and does the same with his gun?

http://9gag.com/gag/a1dzORb

And likewise very sad I couldn't find the whole video for this one, with audio and all, but pleaaaaase click on the link and look at that!!
A woman steps out in an Alaskan snow storm to reach her car (in which she apparently forgot her phone?), and the forces of the wind are just nuts, it looks like a perfect movie scene. The way the snow billows and tears at her hair!!

http://9gag.com/gag/a8pPQdd
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Yora

« Reply #926 on: January 25, 2017, 07:25:06 PM »
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: January 25, 2017, 09:42:29 PM »

The Art of British passive aggressive politeness.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #928 on: January 26, 2017, 11:41:58 AM »
How about something romantic? (Sort of)  :)

[youtube]
ApFdvJ1X4-c
[/youtube]
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #929 on: January 26, 2017, 11:12:35 PM »
Sorry to get political...but not sorry.  8)

My grand collection, everybody.
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.