September 22, 2019, 07:14:40 AM

Author Topic: Eurovision Song Contest 2015; 2016; 2017, 2018, 2019  (Read 21462 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
Eurovision Song Contest 2015; 2016; 2017, 2018, 2019
« on: May 19, 2015, 09:34:01 AM »
Have you all realised that Australia has moved to Europe nowadays?
Well we hopped over(Hahahahaha) and were invited to compete in Eurovision Song Contest 2015. Promise no Skippy's in song, and our introduction lady, Lee Lin Chin is a rare and precious treasure so hopefully you will be exposed to some of her sharp wit.

I believe we get it streamed live at 5.00 am on our Sunday morning and  am willing to be sacrifice sleep  if some of you are around to join in here. Is the Final in Europe on Saturday night?

So, anyone game for a Song Contest Party? If you have better things to do I quite understand, but Australia adores it and it is so much fun. Especially as we have Guy Sebastian singing for us. I have always liked him but some people here have been sniffy about him representing us so am hoping he does well and they get a big comeuppance. 8)  ;)
Any takers?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:46:14 PM by ScarletBea »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 01:08:28 PM »
Yes, It's on Saturday night. Here in Finland it starts at a slightly more reasonable time, 22:00 (or 10 pm). The first semifinal is today, though. (Well tomorrow morning for Aussies.)

I'll probably watch it, so I might join in.

It's quite funny that Australia is competing in the contest. I guess you "mates" were so in to it that the ones in charge of the contest thought, "Why not", and stretched the definition of Europe a little (just a little).  ;D   But yeah, I'm glad you got the chance to participate.

If you don't mind me asking, Lady Ty, what is it about the Eurovision Song Contest that draws you in? Surely it can't be the songs (because most of them are just awful).

I'm only asking because I really can't explain to myself why I watch it year after year. ???   I suppose, it's just my dark little secr... I mean, a (strange) habit of mine. ;)

I like the Skippy song... :(
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 11:50:25 PM »
Ok, I was watching it, but just gave up after nine songs... The Portuguese commentator speaking on top of Conchita is unbearable, always saying awful things about each song (as if ours was any good).

I don't understand how Eurovision is such a big deal in Australia, must be all that heat burning away your sanity  :D
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 08:26:50 AM »
I'm only asking because I really can't explain to myself why I watch it year after year. ???   I suppose, it's just my dark little secr... I mean, a (strange) habit of mine. ;)
The times we watched it, it was with friends and lots of alcohol - or with a horde of small children. Both makes the contest very entertaining.  :D
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 11:09:20 AM »
The times we watched it, it was with friends and lots of alcohol - or with a horde of small children. Both makes the contest very entertaining.  :D
Hmm...  :-\   Maybe I need to start drinking? Or get children? Or get friends?  ???   Nah, too much work. I think I just watch it as always, alone or with my family, and "enjoy" it in a less entertaining way.  ;) ;D
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 10:17:41 AM »
Thank you for all replies, so glad some will be watchingtoo.  @ArcaneArtsVelho my family are away just now I'll be watching on my own, but plenty off yum treats to eat and drink because it's the perfect  excuse  to indulge ;D. Having trouble trying to watch all semi final and practices but will be there for final and keep this thread open as well as twitter which will probably break down from overuse. We can even vote from here if I can work out how, we never could do that before of course.

Several reasons Australians like Eurovision, main one being we are such multicultural nation. Nearly every country represented will have some Australians who originated from that country there or whose family came from there earlier. Hard to know proportions but many many from UK countries, then Greece, Italy, Germany, who migrated after WW2 , later Macedonia, Croatia, Albania, Serbia, Yugoslavia after their FYR broke up, quite lot from Middle East and also a few from Scandinavia, France, Spain and Portugal. Probably not any or very few from the ex USSR countries.

Lots of people hold parties with friends and family, nobody expects it to be brilliant but we laugh with them all,  not at them, and like how much they all throw themselves into the whole thing. The costumes are amazing and the stage sets OTT and we have no idea what many of the words are, it is just funny and so happy.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 12:23:20 PM »
...plenty off yum treats to eat and drink because it's the perfect  excuse  to indulge ;D .
Hey, that must be it: I have conditioned myself to watch the contest with candy, potato chips/crisps and soda.  ;D

Several reasons Australians like Eurovision, main one being we are such multicultural nation. Nearly every country represented will have some Australians who originated from that country there or whose family came from there earlier.
Yeah, that seems like a valid reason.

Lots of people hold parties with friends and family, nobody expects it to be brilliant but we laugh with them all,  not at them, and like how much they all throw themselves into the whole thing. The costumes are amazing and the stage sets OTT and we have no idea what many of the words are, it is just funny and so happy.
I suppose one of the charms of the contest is that everyone involved in it is so (overly?) positive and excited. Some of that enthusiasm rubs off even on people watching it home. And I have to admit that sometimes the shows are quite spectacular with all those lights and pyrotechnics, and the huge screens as the stage and backdrop. 8)

So, come the final I'll be here. However, I hope you don't expect me to make very in-depth comments on every single performance, because I'm very slow to post things (with all my indecision and spelling, grammar, and idiom checking).  ;) ;D

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 02:20:11 AM »
]
Hey, that must be it: I have conditioned myself to watch the contest with candy, potato chips/crisps and soda.  ;D

I suppose one of the charms of the contest is that everyone involved in it is so (overly?) positive and excited. Some of that enthusiasm rubs off even on people watching it home. And I have to admit that sometimes the shows are quite spectacular with all those lights and pyrotechnics, and the huge screens as the stage and backdrop. 8)

So, come the final I'll be here. However, I hope you don't expect me to make very in-depth comments on every single performance, because I'm very slow to post things (with all my indecision and spelling, grammar, and idiom checking).  ;) ;D

I'll be making bacon and egg sandwich for early breakfast and hope I'll wake up in time, and take notice of alarm ;D
Watched the repeat of semi final 1 last night and really sorry Finland's Punk Band, PKN,  didn't get in. They may not have won but their song was so impressive about how regimented their lives were made to be and how it fitted the Building Bridges Theme to make us understand things better. I still remember the year Lordi came and I'm not a Hard Rock enthusiast but it was brilliant to see how different they were to all the ballads that predominated then and just loved the costumes.

I quite liked Hungary and Russia, but it moved on fast so I'm not certain. Also enjoyed the costumes certainly plenty of variety, think a drinking game on cloaks and capes  would be a success. ;D   Fantasy stereotype costumes creeping in everywhere these days ;D ;D The lighting and stage are so huge, lighting full on, I 'm not sure I would like to be there, bit overwhelming.

Don't worry about detailed comments, it moves along very quickly. Mine will be irregular and almost one word, but it's fun to know someone else is watching and we can at least "chat" now and then. Will watch the repeat of second semi final this evening and see who else is going to be on it's really grown huge nowadays.

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 10:07:44 AM »
Sorry to post twice but this is to show how seriously Melbourne takes Eurovision Song Contest. Wonder if Elfy or Nora are in there?

http://fedsquare.com/events/2015-eurovision-song-contest?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=micro-blog&utm_campaign=twitter&utm_content=twitter

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 10:53:34 AM »
Finland's act wasn't really my cup of tea, but it was good that their song had a real message. It would seem that combating ignorance, indifference, and intolerance through the songs and performances is a thing in the contest, at least nowadays (can't remember has it always been that way, because I didn't really pay attention to such things when I was young  ??? ).

Russia and Hungary were good and there were couple others I liked, but i think the 2nd semifinal had more good acts than the 1st.

Sorry to post twice but this is to show how seriously Melbourne takes Eurovision Song Contest. Wonder if Elfy or Nora are in there?

http://fedsquare.com/events/2015-eurovision-song-contest?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=micro-blog&utm_campaign=twitter&utm_content=twitter
That's just insane!  ;D

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 10:59:54 AM »

Wow! The only way you can get that many people to gather in a public square in Portugal is during the final football game for the World Cup, or when Benfica wins the national championship of football.

As for Eurovision, only the LGBT community seem to really invest their time into it nowadays, mainly because Portugal's participation is always dreadful and everyone else has just given up.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 08:52:34 PM »
Where art thou, m'Lady? I hope you're not missing the contest... :(

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 09:14:49 PM »
Where art thou, m'Lady? I hope you're not missing the contest... :(
So ashamed my friend, late to my own party , finally made it and saw Australia but slow getting going cofffeeeee

Wow rather like the Austrian song oh yes, last night came away w Sweden and Norway favs but not sure anymore
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:18:24 PM by Lady Ty »

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 09:20:55 PM »
No worries. :)

Many good songs this year, so I've enjoyed watching the contest more than I thought I would.

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 09:54:42 PM »
Hungary's song probably my fav since first time and now hearing it again. I appreciate theme v much but singer and presentation impressive as well  .