December 16, 2019, 01:53:12 AM

Author Topic: Domestic Issues  (Read 18614 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Domestic Issues
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2017, 05:24:37 PM »
I signed a bunch of paperwork at the solicitor today :D

Next step, exchange contracts 8)

(talk of moving date 30 Oct!!!)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2017, 09:58:39 PM »

Tell us something about your new home! Is it a haunted house? Does it have a library? Have you met any neighbors yet?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2017, 10:18:09 PM »
* I hope it's not haunted!
* Not really, but space for my shelves and more! I don't want to hide my books in the top floor hehe
* Nope! I haven't seen it in over a month, I'll try to go back and do some measuring after the contract...

To be honest, I'm just so tired and stressed that I don't want to change anything at first, just move and calm down, but actually I'm trying to sell some bits of furniture and buy new for the new place...

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »
... but actually I'm trying to sell some bits of furniture and buy new for the new place...

Suggestion: Sell. Move. Buy - and have new furniture delivered. Less to move and worry about :)
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2017, 03:18:16 PM »
Oh, definitely!
Even if I sleep on the sofa for a few nights hehe

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2017, 04:01:27 PM »

yay!  so excited, bea!!  congrats!

Offline RobertS

• Builder
  • Personal Text, isn't that a bit personal?
    • View Profile
    • robertdavidstrawn.com
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2017, 04:10:56 PM »
* Not really, but space for my shelves and more! I don't want to hide my books in the top floor hehe
* Nope! I haven't seen it in over a month, I'll try to go back and do some measuring after the contract...

To be honest, I'm just so tired and stressed that I don't want to change anything at first, just move and calm down, but actually I'm trying to sell some bits of furniture and buy new for the new place...

Don't worry about the haunting, you can get that out with vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. :)
I would rather look stupid today than be stupid tomorrow.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »

Side note: Is it wrong that I have always had a strong desire, just for once, to either move into or spend a night at a house that is actually haunted? Like, haunted to the point where I would actually have a paranormal experience, and see pretty much straightforward proof that a ghost or other entity was involved.

While this might be scary, it would also be proof (to me, at least) that we continue to exist after we die, and there is afterlife. I feel like having that evidence would be comforting, in a sense.

Offline RobertS

• Builder
    • View Profile
    • robertdavidstrawn.com
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2017, 05:43:05 PM »
While this might be scary, it would also be proof (to me, at least) that we continue to exist after we die, and there is afterlife. I feel like having that evidence would be comforting, in a sense.
Sadly it would only be proof that there exists phenomenon and intelligence outside of conventional proof.
If there are beings that exist on the margins of society and have valid fears about what humans would do if their existence were revealed, I think they would happily fake evidence that they were what you expected and not what they were.They might even be entertained by it all. These beings could even be incorporeal. This would still be no proof of an afterlife.

"Dude, they are having a seance!"
"Not a bunch of creepy goth humans. I seriously long for the days when we were considered house gods and ignored apart from offerings."
"That's better than the silly exorcists."
"No this is great, I can make the guy who used to live here seem like a total creeper."
"He kind of was."
"He kept the roof repaired and he was mostly quiet. What more do you want from a human? Besides I am kind of worried about our making him look bad. Don't speak ill of the dead. What if there really are ghosts?"
"Then we creep the humans out till they bring in an exorcist and see if that does any good."

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2017, 08:44:07 PM »
Sadly it would only be proof that there exists phenomenon and intelligence outside of conventional proof.
If there are beings that exist on the margins of society and have valid fears about what humans would do if their existence were revealed, I think they would happily fake evidence that they were what you expected and not what they were.They might even be entertained by it all. These beings could even be incorporeal. This would still be no proof of an afterlife.

But wouldn't proof that there are layers of existence beyond what we can see at least tangentially suggest there is some sort of continued existence after death? Either way, I think having a real paranormal experience would change one's outlook on life.

As a rational person, I know the idea of there being an afterlife is almost certainly false - but as a human trying to deal with the fact that life is finite (for me, my loved ones, and even strangers) I find the idea of life after death comforting, and would rather cling to it (after all, I won't know if I'm wrong) than abandon it entirely. Regardless of the reality, my life will be happier thinking there's something beyond what we experience.

I'd even be satisfied with my (somewhat comical, but also sincere) belief that life is the biggest MMORPG ever created. :0

Offline RobertS

• Builder
    • View Profile
    • robertdavidstrawn.com
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2017, 10:28:06 PM »
But wouldn't proof that there are layers of existence beyond what we can see at least tangentially suggest there is some sort of continued existence after death? Either way, I think having a real paranormal experience would change one's outlook on life.

As a rational person, I know the idea of there being an afterlife is almost certainly false - but as a human trying to deal with the fact that life is finite (for me, my loved ones, and even strangers) I find the idea of life after death comforting, and would rather cling to it (after all, I won't know if I'm wrong) than abandon it entirely. Regardless of the reality, my life will be happier thinking there's something beyond what we experience.

I'd even be satisfied with my (somewhat comical, but also sincere) belief that life is the biggest MMORPG ever created. :0

Revelation is an interesting thing. Most people edit the extraordinary from their memories within 24 hours. If you do witness and hold onto the exceptional, you cannot really share your new awareness. The logic, wisdom and humor that you extrapolate from the experience can be shared. The fantastic story can be shared but the nuances and truths will remain personal. What brings you to tears when you contemplate it, may, to another be as silly a story as they could imagine and no real excuse for such extreme emotion.

Like the McGurk effect demonstrates, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0 you cannot entirely trust your perceptions or mine.

We all live in a fantasy world. We perceive things through organic wiring designed by odd, ancient and conflicting processes. We interpret these bits of data with an organic computer that floats inside the bone case that grew with it. Then we call the result, understanding and reality.

Yet with all of that, I can listen to music written in a time far from mine and be overwhelmed by the combination of noises that someone else put together. I can feel emotions that another man intended me to feel. There is a truth in this despite an absence of rationality.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2017, 11:27:11 PM »

I suspect if you are right it is The Gods that are the players and men only the CGI characters.  ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2017, 09:12:24 AM »

Side note: Is it wrong that I have always had a strong desire, just for once, to either move into or spend a night at a house that is actually haunted? Like, haunted to the point where I would actually have a paranormal experience, and see pretty much straightforward proof that a ghost or other entity was involved.

I don't generally tell people this because they'll think I'm crazy, but I've had legit ghosts before. Twice. For reals.

And I also once went to a seance in Niger where people were getting possessed.  Like really possessed.  Convulsing, foam pouring out of their mouths, speaking tongues to crazy drums possessed.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »
I’m fascinated by the type of thing you’re describing in Niger. I experienced the U.S. version when I was 16 and had a born again experience in a fundamentalist church. My body was swept by electricity, I felt that I could see every atom in the universe, every muscle was rigid - and it all started when the pastor set hands on my hand and called for Jesus to save me.

It’s a strange thing to look back on. It was real, in the sense that it did happen to me. But I explain it to myself these days as something very human and brain chemistry-related. Then other times, I wonder.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2017, 11:17:38 AM »
Little hand-held taser? ;)