December 13, 2019, 04:56:13 AM

Author Topic: Domestic Issues  (Read 18518 times)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
Re: Domestic Issues
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2019, 01:51:46 PM »
I have a beko oven, it's a pretty decent brand.
Ofc not sure about your specific model but beko isn't the worst.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2019, 01:56:00 PM »
Thanks, that helps!
It does seem to have lots of features and the size I need, so I might go for that.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2019, 07:48:32 AM »
Beko is half Turkish brand. It is a partnership of Koc Family (Richest family in Turkey) and British Electronics, hence, BE-KO :) They build quality tech, along with their master brand, Arcelik. I would go for Beko for the half price.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Rostum

« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2019, 07:55:07 AM »
Think of it as a logical process and keep filtering down by what is imprortant to you.

Is it built in or freestanding?
What dimensions are required?
What colour is needed?
Layout fridge or Freezer on top?
Energy Rating?
Price?
and so forth.

Once you have met your list you probably only have a small choice anyway.
My Freestanding Beko Fridge Freezer is fine so far but i doubt it will last as long as the 40 year old zannusi fridge it replaced. the reason i bought it over the other choices was it was 35% off and about half the price the others that fit in the gap.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2019, 08:54:23 AM »
Thanks but no, after all those questions there are still a load of brands, and even if I restrict the brands, lots of different models, hehe

And funny you say that, because the one I have now is Zanussi (it was already in the house when I bought it, it's integrated), and it's the one that's now failing (and that broke down over Christmas).
Reading around, the brands to choose from are Beko, AEG and Bosch, apparently, but I'm not even sure I can trust those reccs.

I'll wait and see if I really need to change it... but I don't think it's normal to have to tweek the thermostast all the time...

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2019, 03:07:16 PM »
I'll wait and see if I really need to change it... but I don't think it's normal to have to tweek the thermostast all the time...

ARGH!
Yesterday I checked the electricity meter for Q2 and the usage was DOUBLE the same period last year - and the only possible reason is the fridge!
And I was thinking, since I'm buying a new one, better go for the A++ energy rating and be more efficient (for wallet in the long run and environment)

(Sorry for all the posts and questions. You've probably realised by now that I'm not very good with making a decision :-[)

Offline Skip

« Reply #156 on: July 09, 2019, 04:23:22 PM »
I have a method that has served me well; I offer it FWIW.

First, make your requirements list, do the research, make a list. All the rational things.

Second, become irrational. No, really. Doing all the rational stuff only ever gets me what people are pleased to call a short list, though often the list is still dauntingly long. There's no way to make a choice from there because every item in the list invariably meets the requirements. Sure I could choose the cheapest item, but often there's little difference in price at the bottom end, and things like reputation and reviews are all over the place.

So, I go with my gut. As far as possible, I'll look at the items in person. I choose the shiny one. The pretty one, the glitzy one, the tasteful one ... the one, in short, that appeals to me on a non-rational basis. The one that best makes me smile.

I have a solid reason for this approach. I call it the "that damn car" reason.

I have a brother-in-law who once owned a 1965 Ford Mustang. It almost never ran in the 30+ years he owned it. Every so often he'd get it running, go for days or weeks, then it'd break down again. Spent thousands on it.

But he loved it. The car could do no wrong, not because it was so good a vehicle, but because he loved it. Over the years, he had other cars. If it was a car he bought because it was inexpensive or whatever, and the least thing went wrong, it was "that damn car." Even if the car was flawless, it was just a car. But that Mustang? It wasn't just a car, it was a project. Because he loved it.

That became the basis for my decision making. Sure, do all the rational stuff. I mean, we wouldn't want to be irrational, would we? But reason takes us only so far. The heart takes us the rest of the way.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #157 on: July 09, 2019, 06:44:59 PM »
Thanks Skip, that makes a lot of sense.

Anyway, fridge bought - I can breathe again ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2019, 06:13:13 PM »
Big saga, but I won't bother you with that - anyway, finally it seems that the fridge will be delivered tomorrow
I just got a text to say the interval: between 1.28pm and 3.28pm ::)