May 30, 2020, 12:13:18 PM

Author Topic: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel  (Read 312236 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel
« Reply #3015 on: April 08, 2020, 02:35:02 AM »
Feeling discouraged about writing. Whine whine.

I’m 4,200 words into a 5,000 word limit story for a different writing site. I’ve stopped having fun, because I’m not sure how to pull off the ending, I don’t fully know the ending, I know this needs to be so much better, and the thought of a re-write make me ill.

I’ve never said I want to be published, not in any real have-to-work-hard-for-it way. In fact, I like writing most when I don’t have to work hard. Haiku: best thing ever.  (Well, I like most things when I don’t have to work hard for them., who am I fooling?) it’s so easy to be mediocre. Let’s all do it.

But I do have my fantasy of writing a full book. I really don’t know how all you who’ve done have the pure guts and Gaul to pull it off. If I can;t handle a 5,000 word story, then what?

Oh, stop writing stories for word-limit contests, you say? Well, where’s the fun in that? Writing for my friends is really the best thing.

Oh well. Tomorrow I’ll try to motivate myself. I think I have to just keep writing without the limit, take it to end, and see what I’ve got.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #3016 on: April 08, 2020, 09:52:52 AM »

I’m 4,200 words into a 5,000 word limit story for a different writing site. I’ve stopped having fun, because I’m not sure how to pull off the ending, I don’t fully know the ending, I know this needs to be so much better, and the thought of a re-write make me ill.

I’ve never said I want to be published, not in any real have-to-work-hard-for-it way. In fact, I like writing most when I don’t have to work hard. Haiku: best thing ever.  (Well, I like most things when I don’t have to work hard for them., who am I fooling?) it’s so easy to be mediocre. Let’s all do it.

But I do have my fantasy of writing a full book. I really don’t know how all you who’ve done have the pure guts and Gaul to pull it off. If I can;t handle a 5,000 word story, then what?

Oh, stop writing stories for word-limit contests, you say? Well, where’s the fun in that? Writing for my friends is really the best thing.

Oh well. Tomorrow I’ll try to motivate myself. I think I have to just keep writing without the limit, take it to end, and see what I’ve got.

This. I've totally felt the same ways and had the same issues, JMack. I always struggled to write longer pieces too, since my only strength is writing scenes, not planning out actual long plotlines (action scenes mostly). The only reason I'd managed to finish my full novel is that it's pretty much a chain sequence of action scenes going on from the start until the end of the book. Maybe try to find some form of writing that is your greatest strength, and try to amplify and stretch it to fit the word counts of a novel? Just my two cents.  :)

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3017 on: April 08, 2020, 10:52:54 AM »
I'm only an authority on my own personal writing style, but I do know that a lot of memorable creative works come through either working around weaknesses or turning them into strengths. If you're bad at writing a particular style of story, maybe just try something else. Maybe try to write a lengthy story that is basically one time skip after another, or an ensemble piece with lots of different characters reacting to the same big event, with only some of them ever meeting each other. Heck, the first story in my Golden Throne series is basically just eleven short stories strung together by a framing device.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3018 on: April 08, 2020, 08:09:07 PM »
A bit of a rant and whine from my side too...

I'm annoyed at all the people saying they feel awful about having to stay indoors and not meet people.
Are you? You don't like being forced to make these things that you don't think are natural to you?
Well, welcome to my wonderful world! I hope you remember this when it's all over, and stop forcing me, and others like me, to go out all the time and meet people, as if that's the only way to live!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3019 on: April 08, 2020, 08:34:15 PM »
Well, welcome to my wonderful world! I hope you remember this when it's all over, and stop forcing me, and others like me, to go out all the time and meet people, as if that's the only way to live!

How exactly are people forcing you to do so?

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3020 on: April 08, 2020, 08:38:52 PM »
Ok, I said it was a whine, hehe
Not exactly forcing, but constant invitations "because you don't go out much", or little digs and hints, constantly asking what I did on a weekend (do I have to do anything?), or being shocked at me going on holidays or to shows or to the cinema by myself...

But it's more general, the whole "having to stay at home is harmful to everyone" generalisation that gets to me.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3021 on: April 08, 2020, 10:56:10 PM »
Ok, I said it was a whine, hehe
Not exactly forcing, but constant invitations "because you don't go out much", or little digs and hints, constantly asking what I did on a weekend (do I have to do anything?), or being shocked at me going on holidays or to shows or to the cinema by myself...

But it's more general, the whole "having to stay at home is harmful to everyone" generalisation that gets to me.

I don't get much of that, specifically. But I get very annoyed with the various ways people put pressure on everyone to be into certain things, and these various pointless expectations. Society can expect me to wear clothes in public and not play loud music at night, but it has no right to insist I enjoy certain things or follow certain trends.

I didn't follow Game of Thrones; I watched the first eight episodes, was bored and depressed, and stopped. Yet people tended to express shock at this... until the finale, the reaction to which has cemented my feeling that I made the right choice.
I also stubbornly refuse to get a cell phone, and I honestly don't get why so many people go "Come on, you need to get one," although I've learned that a calm, dismissive "no" shuts that right down.

Sorry if this is a tangent, but it IS weird to me why so many people have this need to have their own interests and likes validated by absolutely everyone. And if they come across someone who doesn't they then feel the need to either convert or subtly disparage.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3022 on: April 08, 2020, 11:20:56 PM »
Or blatantly insult and denigrate you for not agreeing with them.
(I’m looking at you, Mrs. JMack’s Trump-loving siblings.)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Peat

« Reply #3023 on: April 09, 2020, 01:07:22 AM »

Fortunate the man who already has the answers; I think it's the best course in these waters.

As for motivation and seeing the whole thing through? I think every author has those moments of doubt. Those who make it to where they want to be are just the ones who ignore them, or keep getting back on the horse. Most writers quit too early.

Offline hexa

« Reply #3024 on: April 09, 2020, 07:05:58 PM »
I have translated a work of Japanese science fiction.  I uploaded it.  It will probably be published tomorrow, on GameFAQs.  I am happy that it is finished

It is named Gall Force

Online Cherie

« Reply #3026 on: April 12, 2020, 02:05:05 PM »
I'm really not sure where my head is at the moment. I've been doing ok my own; I ventured out for shopping on Tuesday, I've been cooking and eating properly, keeping myself occupied, going to bed at a normal time... I've been talking with people mostly on various messaging apps, I happened to say to Darren that I'd not actually spoken to anyone since Tuesday, so he called me. And I just started crying. In fact there are tears now as I'm typing.

Dammit, I am doing ok, but I miss him.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3027 on: April 12, 2020, 02:29:35 PM »
x *hugs*
You *will* be ok!

Online Cherie

« Reply #3028 on: April 15, 2020, 12:00:14 PM »
x *hugs*
You *will* be ok!
Thank you. I was having a majorly teary day, absolutely everything was making me cry!

I made myself go out for a walk yesterday (I needed to get some stamps anyway) and sat in the garden for the rest of the day.

Offline Bender

"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6