November 12, 2019, 04:34:13 AM

Author Topic: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel  (Read 266521 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel
« Reply #2835 on: October 12, 2019, 04:36:55 AM »
Tomorrow I'm going to the hospital for a test. It'll only take half an hour, but it needs to be done under general anaesthetic, so I'm a tiny bit nervous.
It's a normal thing that many people have it with just local anaesthetic, but I tried and couldn't do it :-\
And a faffle: I'm not supposed to be alone for 24 hours after the anaesthetic, so I had to ask a friend to come sleep in my spare room ::)
All went well, no pain!
I woke up relatively quickly, and then spent the rest of the day having odd naps... I slept from 7 to 11.30 and now I'm wide awake, hehe

Bender, wow! Good luck, you know best

That's nice to hear, Bea. Have some nice sleep, you deserved some rest, hahah.  :D
Good luck on the dentistry operation, Bender!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #2836 on: October 17, 2019, 05:23:09 AM »
Over the past weeks, there have been a string of problems related to my work, and now I'm just feeling terrible, depressed, and tired everyday. After a few weeks of things seemingly becoming brighter, it's back to the same old dull gloom again.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2837 on: October 17, 2019, 07:58:26 AM »

Hang in there, this too shall pass...
Maybe try to find one thing each day to be happy about? It could be "it's not raining" or "lunch was very nice", "for a bit while reading I didn't feel bad".
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Godling
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #2838 on: October 17, 2019, 08:37:46 AM »
I just finished Chede-Meng Tan's book Joy on Demand, which I can recommend for anyone interested in mindfulness but perhaps put off by any mysticism or the like, and also anyone already practising meditation but who feel they might need some tips on how to make your practice (and daily life) more joyful.

It has several simple exercises (which only take a minute or two of your day) that can have a positive impact on your overall mood. Don't expect a magic pill, but if you follow the instructions in the first few chapters for two-three weeks, you will notice a difference.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #2839 on: October 18, 2019, 10:56:50 AM »
Dang, because of the terrible week I've been having, my mood disorder have gotten worse and I ended up messing up almost all of the tuition jobs that I had. I'm currently working on treating this severe anger issue, but I guess that before it was fully treated I couldn't do much in the way of working. My boss/ colleagues could just be talking to me in a wrong tone/ or I could face some issues working and I'd blow up my top and have to ultimately cancel all of my contacts with anyone before things escalated beyond control. (which could seriously, really gotten out of control once I'd lost my head). I don't even know what to do now. 

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2840 on: October 18, 2019, 12:17:51 PM »
Poor Inky :(
It seems you need professional help, can you ask your doctor?

Also, I would add that your condition falls under illness and/or disability. Is there a way to warn employers in advance of your problems, so that they don't automatically dismiss you when you have your episodes? It seems you're very much aware afterwards of what you did wrong, so waiting for you to go back and apologise/explain what happened before taking action might be helpful.
Then again, I'm not sure about disability laws in Thailand...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 12:24:51 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline isos81

« Reply #2841 on: October 18, 2019, 12:21:55 PM »

Agreed. Did you ever try professional help?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #2842 on: October 18, 2019, 12:49:32 PM »

Agreed. Did you ever try professional help?

I've been regularly visiting a psychiatrist monthly for several months now. I've actually been getting better so far, but the past week had been filled with quite a lot of issues (problematic agents, not paying me the full amount of payment after work done, not coming to pre-booked appointments, and etc.), and they've really exacerbated my symptoms to quite a degree. I'll have to consult my psychiatrist especially for this month and tell him about things have gone recently. Now I'm pretty much flitting from regret that I lost those jobs, to relief that I'm not facing those problems anymore, then back to depression, and resentment at myself once more.  :(   

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2843 on: October 19, 2019, 07:12:26 PM »
Just asking, Inky: Do you exercise? It honestly does help greatly with mental well being.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #2844 on: October 20, 2019, 08:34:51 AM »
Just asking, Inky: Do you exercise? It honestly does help greatly with mental well being.

I'm currently doing Muay Thai. It does helped a lot to use my pent-up energy in something like that.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2845 on: October 20, 2019, 12:03:03 PM »
I just thought I'd link the most adorable video I've seen in a while.

Honestly, this critter is straight out of an 80's movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dnB3IapeAA

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #2846 on: October 20, 2019, 12:12:19 PM »
I just thought I'd link the most adorable video I've seen in a while.

Honestly, this critter is straight out of an 80's movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dnB3IapeAA

Just don’t pat the wrong way!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline isos81

« Reply #2847 on: October 20, 2019, 09:33:39 PM »

I'm currently doing Muay Thai. It does helped a lot to use my pent-up energy in something like that.

He is breaking the trees with his bare shin ;D
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #2848 on: October 21, 2019, 04:08:19 AM »

He is breaking the trees with his bare shin ;D

It's more like the trees are breaking my shin with its bare branches, hahah.  ;D

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2849 on: October 30, 2019, 10:35:21 PM »
I have never had a talent for expressing myself through drawings, but sometimes others do it for me.

This image is too big to show here, so I'm just leaving a link.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EID9QpPW4AEs3IW?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Edit by ScarletBea: see if this works:

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 07:59:26 AM by ScarletBea »