March 19, 2019, 09:31:29 PM

Author Topic: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel  (Read 209573 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel
« Reply #2595 on: January 06, 2019, 07:43:55 PM »
I often wonder what I'd do if I got it - check myself into a good nursing home, with all financials organised for the future, or just end it...
My grandma never wanted to lose herself in dementia, so she had some poison in her fridge to end it.
You can probably guess what happened. She forgot first about the poison, then her name, her family and all the rest. Her children sold her house to pay for good care and she lived seven years longer than the doctors had anticipated.
She didn't recognize us and couldn't talk anymore but she could and did sing and was the happiest when my brother or I played the guitar for her.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2596 on: January 06, 2019, 08:23:51 PM »
Xia, your post reminded me of something I've also thought and wondered: so yes, people with dementia don't really function well in a 'normal' life, but I do wonder if they're happy.
Do they know that things aren't working properly, like for example when you have a stroke and you think you're saying A but you actually say B, and then you get frustrated (this happened with my mum, who thankfully recovered), or are they in their own world, having a great life?

The answer does change the way I'd view the illness - and maybe it's something doctors would also like to know...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2597 on: January 07, 2019, 10:16:32 PM »
I thought I'd drop in a bit of positivity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oImMwjkKn_8
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #2598 on: January 08, 2019, 04:14:44 PM »

So I updated my website and all of my customizations were erased.

In particular there's this black square arrow icon that needs to be a yellow icon in a grey circle.  I could not remember how I changed it last time (other than that it took me like 12 hours) and I couldn't find any reference to the arrow in any of the CSS.  In my attempt to modify CSS within Wordpress, not only did I fail to turn the square into a circle, I BROKE THE WHOLE DAMN SITE.

I'm on hold for 20 min right now just to see if I can undo all the work I did over the last 8 hours with a back-up.  Seriously I'm dumb af. I want to bang my head into a wall.

Offline Slaykomimi

« Reply #2599 on: January 08, 2019, 06:11:47 PM »

In particular there's this black square arrow icon that needs to be a yellow icon in a grey circle.  I could not remember how I changed it last time (other than that it took me like 12 hours) and I couldn't find any reference to the arrow in any of the CSS.  In my attempt to modify CSS within Wordpress, not only did I fail to turn the square into a circle, I BROKE THE WHOLE DAMN SITE.

I'm on hold for 20 min right now just to see if I can undo all the work I did over the last 8 hours with a back-up.  Seriously I'm dumb af. I want to bang my head into a wall.

You are not dumb, wordpress just sucks with customization, at least so much that I quit the whole web dev branche because the stress and exhaustion from stupid things like that wasnt paid enough.
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #2600 on: January 08, 2019, 06:17:16 PM »

You are not dumb, wordpress just sucks with customization, at least so much that I quit the whole web dev branche because the stress and exhaustion from stupid things like that wasnt paid enough.

So having restored to backup 7 times now I have discovered:

1) the plugin that broke my site had nothing to do with the circle I was trying to make out of a square
2) updating the plug-in breaks my site
3) uninstalling the plug-in that broke my site ALSO breaks my site
4) I have no frigging idea where I coded that circle, even after looking for 8 hours
5) Restoring to several days ago returns the circle
6) Updating the plugin that the icon in question comes from actually does *not* undo my custom code and turn the circle into the square
7) Updating some totally random OTHER plugin (of the 19 that needed updating) is what destroys my code and eliminates my circle.
8) my brain is melting
9) trying to make a number 8 on here with an "8 )"  produces an 8)

Offline Slaykomimi

« Reply #2601 on: January 08, 2019, 08:00:34 PM »

1) the plugin that broke my site had nothing to do with the circle I was trying to make out of a square
4) I have no frigging idea where I coded that circle, even after looking for 8 hours
6) Updating the plugin that the icon in question comes from actually does *not* undo my custom code and turn the circle into the square
7) Updating some totally random OTHER plugin (of the 19 that needed updating) is what destroys my code and eliminates my circle.
8) my brain is melting

you broke the first rule in anything regarding technology, never change a running system  ;D

but jokes aside, I often had problems with plugins completly destroying each other without ever finding the cause. So I always ended up looking for different plugins that do the same but are not the same or looking for an old version, which should NEVER be necessary. A downgrade should never be the solution to something but it sadly is in most cases.

If its just a graphic that has no interaction, is it a option to just remove the circle/square and put another circle on the same spot?
Are there any other errors occuring besides breaking the site and the change of a circle?
Is the site behaving as it should otherwise with the updated plugins?
(this one should be obvious) Did you try the site on other hardware and software?

I hope you can fix it soon, it is a nasty job but can get paid quite well if you know how to sell your skills, good luck.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2602 on: January 08, 2019, 09:13:07 PM »
You broke the first rule in anything regarding technology, never change a running system  ;D

'If it aint broke, don't fix it'

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #2603 on: January 09, 2019, 04:34:38 AM »

8) my brain is melting

you broke the first rule in anything regarding technology, never change a running system  ;D

but jokes aside, I often had problems with plugins completly destroying each other without ever finding the cause. So I always ended up looking for different plugins that do the same but are not the same or looking for an old version, which should NEVER be necessary. A downgrade should never be the solution to something but it sadly is in most cases.

If its just a graphic that has no interaction, is it a option to just remove the circle/square and put another circle on the same spot?
Are there any other errors occuring besides breaking the site and the change of a circle?
(this one should be obvious) Did you try the site on other hardware and software?

I hope you can fix it soon, it is a nasty job but can get paid quite well if you know how to sell your skills, good luck.

Haha @Slaykomimi I thought the first rule of technology was "Ruin it with an update"

Yes I've tried on other devices.  Learning to restore to a back up has been my best friend.
The thing is that plugins only get you part way there, and I'm a perfectionist so i try to go in and hard code things i don't like (ie. this color doesn't match here, the menu is doing something weird at certain window widths, the featured displays too large on the home page, etc etc).  But I don't actually understand the basics of how a website works.  i know basic commands.  I know I can find the name of elements in a page by using the "inspect element" feature in firefox. i know border-radius:50% makes a circle.  I know that *somewhere* I need to type  <div class="theChampSharingArrow theChampPullOut" style="border-radius:50%;color:ffb141">
</div> 

The problem is, I don't know *where* in the code to put that. I know where to add additional code to the end. I can find the CSS editor for the plug-ins in Wordpress. I can even find the php files in the hosting site.  But I can't figure out which file and where in all that code to add it all.

So I learn stuff, I make it work through hours of trial and error, and then if forget how to do it again because I don't have the basic knowledge to understand when to access the php files, when to edit the plugin's CSS and when to tack something on at the end.

I should probably take a class or a YouTube tutorial, but I'm so impatient :)

Offline Slaykomimi

« Reply #2604 on: January 09, 2019, 05:32:09 PM »

8) my brain is melting

Haha @Slaykomimi I thought the first rule of technology was "Ruin it with an update"

Yes I've tried on other devices.  Learning to restore to a back up has been my best friend.
The thing is that plugins only get you part way there, and I'm a perfectionist so i try to go in and hard code things i don't like (ie. this color doesn't match here, the menu is doing something weird at certain window widths, the featured displays too large on the home page, etc etc).  But I don't actually understand the basics of how a website works.  i know basic commands.  I know I can find the name of elements in a page by using the "inspect element" feature in firefox. i know border-radius:50% makes a circle.  I know that *somewhere* I need to type  <div class="theChampSharingArrow theChampPullOut" style="border-radius:50%;color:ffb141">
</div> 

The problem is, I don't know *where* in the code to put that. I know where to add additional code to the end. I can find the CSS editor for the plug-ins in Wordpress. I can even find the php files in the hosting site.  But I can't figure out which file and where in all that code to add it all.

So I learn stuff, I make it work through hours of trial and error, and then if forget how to do it again because I don't have the basic knowledge to understand when to access the php files, when to edit the plugin's CSS and when to tack something on at the end.

I should probably take a class or a YouTube tutorial, but I'm so impatient :)

I know that feeling, I used to browse through all the files on the server at wordpress sites just to find this one single line I need to edit. It was hell.

I think the best approach would be to code all by yourself (with that I mean templates, plugins, etc), thats why I liked it more to hardcode sites in html, css and javascript, but that took way more time especially if there was much content (sadly I often had restaurants as customers with tons of dishes who demanded photos for every dish, and of course didnt provide neither photos nor information).

I hope that at least your customers/boss/whoever supervises or pays you for that work is at least good to work with. You can surely find some great courses on udemy and such or maybe even decent ones on youtube.

I wish you the best luck and dont overwork yourself.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #2605 on: January 09, 2019, 08:10:58 PM »
I wish you the best luck and dont overwork yourself.
Bradley? That old slacker? Haha, he never came close to overworking himself in his life!

To be honest, that's because he's always in "work myself to death"-mode.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #2606 on: January 10, 2019, 01:11:38 AM »
Haha this time I'm not being overworked (or paid) the website is for me.  I'm just too stubborn to sleep properly

I thought of you and your fridge today @ScarletBea

I was on the phone with Google for fourty minutes (for the 3rd time) for them to tell me that their return policy has changed and they can't replace my defective headphone dongle for my pixel phone. My HD is defective in my Mac so I walked 30 min to the computer repair place to pick it up and return it to the manufacturer (another series of calls) and no one is here. My muffler fell off so I took my car in on Sunday but the mechanic hasn't been in to work for days and isn't returning my calls. And my faucet has been leaking for 6 months now. I want to bang my face into the wall
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 01:32:31 AM by J.R. Darewood »

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2607 on: January 10, 2019, 07:57:47 AM »
Gosh! My problem now seems a little blip compared to yours :'(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #2608 on: January 10, 2019, 07:59:57 AM »
Actually the fridge is more important-- without that you can't eat!!

Offline Slaykomimi

« Reply #2609 on: January 10, 2019, 03:01:53 PM »
I live without fridge for about 2 years now. For me there is no necessity in cooling my food because I get to stores nearly daily at work where I can buy fresh food instead of piling it into a device that slows down the rotting process. Just wanted to make clear that you can eat food even without fridge  ;D

-Edward d. Morrison