September 23, 2018, 07:18:09 PM

Author Topic: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel  (Read 155787 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
Re: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel
« Reply #2400 on: August 09, 2018, 12:31:15 AM »
My complaints are nothing to what your countrymen are going through.

But, here goes.

I must have stressed some muscles in my chest trying to do push-ups (which was stupid) or slept wrong or... because I left work early yesterday in a bunch of discomfort, then woke in the middle of the night with a pinched nerve in my shoulder. I worked from home for a half day today, then slept most of the fternoon. I have a bit of a fever and ache all over. Lovely.

I continue to recommend not having heart surgery (except for the alternative)  8) and not trying to go too fast with recovery.   :(
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2401 on: August 09, 2018, 01:11:09 AM »
Just out of interest when they operated did they sew you up with steel wire? If so you can do some serious muscle damage by serating yourself on your stitches. I know they used to use wire for chest cavity work but there are now other preferred methods nowadays.
Please see your doctor if symptoms persist.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2402 on: August 09, 2018, 03:34:08 AM »
My complaints are nothing to what your countrymen are going through.

But, here goes.

I must have stressed some muscles in my chest trying to do push-ups (which was stupid) or slept wrong or... because I left work early yesterday in a bunch of discomfort, then woke in the middle of the night with a pinched nerve in my shoulder. I worked from home for a half day today, then slept most of the fternoon. I have a bit of a fever and ache all over. Lovely.

I continue to recommend not having heart surgery (except for the alternative)  8) and not trying to go too fast with recovery.   :(

Now you've not only hurt yourself, but me as well, when I rolled my eyes that hard. Jeese louise man, take your time. They played Operation on you, literally. Take your time, or expect a time when you're taken.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2403 on: August 09, 2018, 09:08:15 AM »
Saraband :-\ x

Jmack: Push-ups? Really? ::) >:(
Hope you get well soon anyway, hehe

An interesting quote
"If they hadn't tried to break me down, I wouldn't know that I'm unbreakable" - Gabourey Sidibe
(replace "they" with whatever is valid in your life)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Slaykomimi

« Reply #2404 on: August 09, 2018, 09:55:21 AM »
@JMack now I only read the first and the last two pages to get a quick overview, so I don´t know any details at all about your condition except that I just read you had an operation which could also be the cause.

I just wanted to say when I started doing exercises on a regular basis I also started to get pain in one of my shoulders (the right one). One fault of it was bad execution of push ups, many people do them "wrong" with their arms spread very far apart and very high, the problem with that is, is that they don´t train the lower and back of the shoulder muscles very well and the shoulders tend to move forward. when I felt pain and researched a little about it I found that my right shoulder looked totally dislocated, like if I would constantly push it forwards. I looked up some exercises to correct it and other methods of doing push ups. Now my shoulder is fine again.

As I said, I didn´t read through this whole thread so I can´t say much about it, especially since you got other symptoms as well, but I would really recommend everyone doing any sort of exercise to warm up well, stretch well, look up the correct execution of the exercise, look up the pros and cons of it and work towards to execute them right. I am no coach or fit or anything, but I see so many people doing simple exercises wrong and tell them to either change the way they do it and do more research about it cause bad exercise can do a lot of damage, I sadly saw many people in young age allready who got serious problems only because of bad execution of simple exercises.

Also (as I said I don´t know all the background or your physical condition) it is importand not to force a exercise to work, there are some people who just can´t do push ups yet. In that case people should first start out by doing simpler exercise to strengthen the muscles required for that exercise. When people tell me they can´t do push ups (or I see them doing them extremly wrong) I tell them to first build up some strength and condition in the musclegroups necessary, like at a push up to first make some exercises for the back, shoulders, arms, chest and belly.

That post got kind of long allready, I sound extremly annoying instead of giving advice. I guess the reason most people ignore my advise is because I am against fitness centers and got a weight of 100kg who rather spends his time doing other things than working out.

I hope this helps you and that you get well, but the best thing to do would really be to talk with a doctor that you trust about it.
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: August 09, 2018, 11:11:42 AM »
Thanks, all. Yes, it was definitely stupid. SlayK, I’ll look into your advice.
Hoping I feel better today. So far so good.

@Rostum, titanium twist ties and glue to hold the sternum together while it grows back over the course of many months. So, yeah, push-ups = the evil one for 6 months to a year.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: August 10, 2018, 11:55:07 AM »
So now I have pneumonia.  Like you once described, ScRletBea, my body is a gift that just keeps giving.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2407 on: August 10, 2018, 12:10:41 PM »
Oh no @JMack! Poor you :(
Rest lots, don't worry about stuff, and let your body recover
*big hugs*

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 03:05:03 PM by ScarletBea »

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Slaykomimi

« Reply #2408 on: August 10, 2018, 01:17:41 PM »
@JMack that sounds horrible.
Please get well soon, don´t stress yourself and better stay in bed and rest well.
I can´t bake as quick as ScarletBea but at least tell you to drink much water, it´s hot, you are sick, surely sweat a lot and water is always good.
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #2409 on: August 10, 2018, 01:24:07 PM »
So now I have pneumonia.  Like you once described, ScRletBea, my body is a gift that just keeps giving.
Oh no! I hope it goes quickly and you feel better soon.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2410 on: August 10, 2018, 01:29:33 PM »
I can´t bake as quick as ScarletBea

@Slaykomimi, I didn't make that, hehe
You'll learn as you hang around the forum that I'm the one who always posts nice images of cakes for key occasions ;D
 (see my title ;))

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: August 11, 2018, 09:40:05 AM »
Get well soon, Jmack.
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2412 on: August 11, 2018, 11:13:56 AM »
What everyone else has been saying. Wishes for health.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2413 on: August 11, 2018, 05:45:02 PM »
Joining the chorus, @JMack. Take care of yourself. We'd miss you!

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #2414 on: August 11, 2018, 07:40:21 PM »

Be careful @JMack it's not bad luck-- you suffered chest trauma in having surgery, pain meds also can leave you immunosuppressed. Pneumonia is just an additional conequence of your surgery and while it's very dangerous, it's also normal.

Take every precaution you can ATM bc pneumonia can be deadly. And catalogue every moment as fodder for future writing

Sorry if that came off as bossy but I'm feeling commandeering today