August 26, 2019, 08:22:52 AM

Author Topic: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel  (Read 250287 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel
« Reply #2055 on: December 26, 2017, 10:53:03 AM »
That made me sad, Bradley, but it's very well written.
I also don't understand the weight some people give to this one day, and I'm glad my parents really don't mind that I'm only going in 3 weeks - or they do mind but don't tell me, and are just happy for me and for my life.

And next year, if I stay in the UK again, join me on skype or discord :) I went to my friend's parents ofr lunch and the afternoon, but then I was home by 5.30 and did check to see if any friend was online, hehe, before just watching tv or playing computer games ;D

*hugs*
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: December 26, 2017, 11:09:40 AM »
before just watching tv or playing computer games ;D

:o no reading  :'(  ;D
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2057 on: December 26, 2017, 11:13:24 AM »
before just watching tv or playing computer games ;D

:o no reading  :'(  ;D
Not at that time, no ;D
But then I couldn't stop (and more this morning), the book is turning out to be so good!!!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Peat

« Reply #2058 on: December 26, 2017, 06:57:33 PM »
What computer games Bea? We played some Mario Karts with the wife's brother and family on Christmas.

But yeah. Bradley's story covers a lot of why I loathe Christmas and believe in letting people know.

In worse news, we adopted a second cat about a week before Christmas. The owner was having to get rid of the wee beastie in a hurry because she'd had to move home with her mum and her mum hated the animal. Gods only knows how, he's an adorable animal, super friendly and cuddly. Okay, noisy and with a really smelly arse, but that's nothing. It was hard work getting him and our original cat to get along, but we were getting there and yesterday, they played together. Okay, original cat threw up afterwards, but he didn't seem fussed about it.

But this morning the woman texted us saying her circs had changed, she was missing the cat and she wanted him back. Much as me and the missus feels that's not right to ask, we also feel its not right to say no. She loved him dearly and it hurt her a lot to give him up. So now we're waiting to give up a cat we've given our heart to and changed a lot of plans for, and gone through so much.

Merry Christmas!
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2059 on: December 27, 2017, 06:52:59 PM »
Oh, just minesweeper adventure, and hidden city, and stuff...

And poor you, with kitty :(

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #2060 on: December 27, 2017, 10:32:41 PM »
Jmacksdotter is here for the holiday/January break and brought her sweet kitty, Bagheera. Bags likes to scratch our living room furniture. All thoughts of Bags staying with us this summer while Dotter is in Italy as part of Masters program are no longer good thoughts.

She should have a dog. Then I’d happily watch the critter.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Peat

« Reply #2061 on: December 28, 2017, 12:19:09 AM »
Jmacksdotter is here for the holiday/January break and brought her sweet kitty, Bagheera. Bags likes to scratch our living room furniture. All thoughts of Bags staying with us this summer while Dotter is in Italy as part of Masters program are no longer good thoughts.

Tell her to get a pet passport and take Baggy with her. American cats in Europe are all the rage.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: December 28, 2017, 01:16:32 AM »

Hint Once dotter safely on way, go to pets store buy cat nail clippers, do not be afraid to use but get shop to denonstrate how far down you can go. Use regularly.  ;) This saves clothes, furniture, you, woodwork etc. Also buy scratching post and train cat. Good luck with that, but some cats like them  8)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #2063 on: January 01, 2018, 05:49:51 PM »

Tell her to get a pet passport and take Baggy with her. American cats in Europe are all the rage.
Why does Europe like American cats?

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #2064 on: January 01, 2018, 05:53:46 PM »

Why does Europe like American cats?
Only the weird ones with thumbs. ;)
(Just kidding, we just love all cats. :))
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2065 on: January 05, 2018, 04:42:07 PM »
I got the final funding for my autism booklet today, from the northland power company. And I only found out a couple of days ago that it's a whole formal affair up on a stage, along with everyone else who got funding for a social-minded project. There was a photographer and hors d'oeuvres and everything. A nice little moment.

Now I'll have to actually get around to getting this thing done.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2066 on: January 05, 2018, 07:24:05 PM »
That's terrific Eli! Good for you - and perhaps good for a lot of others as well.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #2067 on: January 05, 2018, 11:20:51 PM »
I got the final funding for my autism booklet today, from the northland power company. And I only found out a couple of days ago that it's a whole formal affair up on a stage, along with everyone else who got funding for a social-minded project. There was a photographer and hors d'oeuvres and everything. A nice little moment.

You can do it!

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2068 on: January 05, 2018, 11:23:14 PM »
You can do it!

Well, at this point I damn well better.

EDIT: Also, I just spent some time at the bars with one of my sisters. She lives in Birmingham these days, and is visiting Iceland for the first time in a year. So it's awfully nice to catch up over drinks. I just love to remind the girls, who range from being 12 to 18 years younger than me, that I used to change their diapers.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:30:33 PM by Eli_Freysson »
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2069 on: January 06, 2018, 09:00:22 AM »
I just love to remind the girls, who range from being 12 to 18 years younger than me, that I used to change their diapers.
;D

Me, I've been struggling a bit with something, I might explain more later - but it's very hurtful when I basically have to beg to see my nieces :'(