August 22, 2019, 01:54:15 AM

Author Topic: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel  (Read 249808 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Depression is a bitch... from a friend
« Reply #255 on: November 23, 2015, 08:29:25 AM »
*punches depression in the face*
This morning I won: the full 5k (in 33'42") :D

I... don't know what those numbers mean, but good that you're feeling better. Congratulations.

Thanks, sorry, I've posted before about me running, and how difficult it's been to resume, and this links to that. This was the first time I ran the full 5 km since April.
Eclipse is right (the second time, hehe), the second number means I did it in 33 minutes and 42 seconds, which isn't the best but not the worst either :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #256 on: November 23, 2015, 09:54:21 AM »

I... don't know what those numbers mean, but good that you're feeling better. Congratulations.

Thanks, sorry, I've posted before about me running, and how difficult it's been to resume, and this links to that. This was the first time I ran the full 5 km since April.
Eclipse is right (the second time, hehe), the second number means I did it in 33 minutes and 42 seconds, which isn't the best but not the worst either :)

That's a perfectly good speed for a run Bea, you should be proud. I think my best was 5k in 29'00", and that was at my fittest condition. I'm actually curious to see how different it will be to run in this new weather, kinda scared.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #257 on: November 23, 2015, 03:38:25 PM »
That's a perfectly good speed for a run Bea, you should be proud. I think my best was 5k in 29'00", and that was at my fittest condition. I'm actually curious to see how different it will be to run in this new weather, kinda scared.
Ta - especially since we're talking about a 45-year old who only started running (regularly or otherwise!) a couple of years ago, hehe
I run in the cold (according to my garmin, yesterday the average temp was 2.8 C), but not in the rain...
You'll be fine!

And ups and downs, ups and downs - stupid meltdown at work in front of lots of people, better now (got real hugs :D)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Matamelcan

« Reply #258 on: November 24, 2015, 12:37:03 AM »

Really not bad!  Congratulations!
 I've done a 5k and I got 20:58... I'm quick!  Somewhat.
"Deep within the dark embrace of the forest, under massive boughs and a roof of intertwined limbs, several elves bowed their heads, lips moving silently in prayer, the raging storm lost to them in the tranquility of their faith."

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #259 on: November 26, 2015, 12:59:31 PM »
excuse me, look away now...

AAAAAARGGGGHHHHHHHH

(I just want to be ok :( )

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #260 on: November 26, 2015, 05:03:56 PM »
You're okay in my book.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #261 on: November 30, 2015, 01:45:01 PM »
Pffff.
Doc said there's not anything else she can do for me, just keep the medication going, and I should really try therapy. I've done it in the past, and loved the therapist, she was quite good and helped lots, but it kinda feels like a failure to go back to her once again.
Maybe I'll try the local groups... maybe in January...

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 01, 2015, 06:41:12 AM »
Pffff.
Doc said there's not anything else she can do for me, just keep the medication going, and I should really try therapy. I've done it in the past, and loved the therapist, she was quite good and helped lots, but it kinda feels like a failure to go back to her once again.
Not at all a failure to go back to therapist if she helped and you liked her. How about thinking of it as a booster shot?
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #263 on: December 01, 2015, 08:37:27 AM »
Thanks - I was actually going to delete the post this morning, but now you've quoted it...

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 01, 2015, 09:19:08 AM »
Didn't notice this yesterday - definitely not a failure in my eyes, not even vaguely related. Booster shot is a very good analogy I think. :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 01, 2015, 09:55:55 AM »
I did notice this yesterday but forgot to reply.  ::) :-[
Is there a booster shot against forgetfulness?  :P

But yes, not a failure. Not at all.
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2015, 11:35:48 AM »
Thanks, you gave me the push I needed :-*

Random thing I noticed: I'm reading less/slower >:(
A few reasons:
I no longer wake up in the middle of the night, so that's that time lost (although I suppose it's good from a resting point of view, offset by weird dreams);
I've been having a stronger sense of 'scared of going to sleep', so I don't go to bed at normal hours, so that cuts on bed-reading time;
I spend too much time here ;)
Noticed harder to concentrate in last couple of weeks :(

Definitely need to change!!! Bring on time off and holidays...

Offline wakarimasen

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Builder
  • Currently suffering multiple story disorder...
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 03, 2015, 12:04:25 PM »
@ScarletBea I always find the dreams so vivid when I accidentally mess with my citalapram dose.  Can be great fun.

Therapy is a great tool for dealing with depression. I've found a good EFT therapist and that was surprisingly useful.
This stuff basically... http://www.emofree.com/eft-tutorial/tapping-basics/what-is-eft.html
I can always see if the guy I know can recommend anyone nearer yourself...

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #268 on: December 03, 2015, 12:42:39 PM »
I don't mess with the dose, but my sleep patterns change more than the english weather ::)

Spoiler for Hiden:
* Falling asleep really early, waking up between 2-4-ish, then waking up really tired
* Falling asleep late, waking up between 5-6-ish, then waking up really tired
* Sleeping the night through but waking up really tired because I can remember the dreams and they make me really tired (physically or emotionally) - the ones I remember are always the scary, anxious, upsetting ones...
* Sleeping 9-10 hours straight on sundays and still waking up really tired
see a pattern in the end result? ::)

erm... EFT doesn't seem very attractive, sorry
I plan to go back to the one I used during my last episode, 6 years ago, who focuses on "psycho-dynamic/psycho-analytic psychotherapy". It worked, she did help.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 12:44:12 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline Alexandre A Loch

« Reply #269 on: December 03, 2015, 05:57:36 PM »
Pffff.

Hi Scarlet,
Besides being a writer (and Sci-Fi fan), I work as a psychiatrist. I often get this complaint, that returning to treatment sounds like a defeat. Or that the previous treatment did not work. This is common, for depression, in most cases, is recurrent. However, one must recognize early signs of relapse so that treatment can be reinitiated ASAP. For better outcome, quality of life, etc. I have some patients that refrain from stopping medication (or therapy), even if I tell them they could stop, because they are feeling so well with the treatment they do not want to risk it. Well, that's it, good luck with your treatment.