July 10, 2020, 01:45:15 AM

Author Topic: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel  (Read 322871 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel
« Reply #3030 on: April 16, 2020, 08:51:00 AM »
Stay strong, and we are all here to support you, @Cherie:D

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3031 on: April 19, 2020, 09:24:28 PM »
I just thought I'd share something cute in these trying times. My cat this morning, enjoying his shoe box:

I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3032 on: April 26, 2020, 02:13:01 PM »
I will never write a book.
I will never write anything that’s truly awesome.
I don’t care about being published, but I care about the first two.
Everything I’m doing with writing is fun (mostly), but only that.
Which is usually enough.
But I’m taking a moment t0 whine before going back to it.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: April 26, 2020, 03:51:42 PM »
You simply can't know the first and I think you already did the second with some of your stories. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #3034 on: April 26, 2020, 10:58:36 PM »
You simply can't know the first and I think you already did the second with some of your stories. :)

Agreed. You will write a book, and based upon totally biased inferential statistics, there is a chance it will be "truly awesome."
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3035 on: April 27, 2020, 07:47:49 AM »
I think you already did the second with some of your stories. :)
Infinite agree with this, I mean, man, some of your stories, wow :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #3036 on: April 28, 2020, 09:49:11 AM »
I'm trying to reduce my bipolar medication (I'm on half meds today), and I had to say I felt kind of terrible. I just feel pissed with everything but I guess if I didn't start trying to reduce the meds some day I'll have to be dependent on them for the rest of my life. Better late than never, I guess.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3037 on: April 28, 2020, 10:25:24 AM »
Inky, are you reducing it on the advice of a doctor?
It's important not to do it on your own...
When I was reducing my antidepressives I didn't go straight to half, the reduction had to be much slower, so please be careful.

And you know, why can't you take them forever if needed? Most people living with an illness have to take daily medication for ever (my mum has a ton of tablets and pills, about 20 different ones, although not all are daily).
It's not a question of "being dependent" or a show of weakness, it's need for a good life.

Don't feel you have to stop taking them, and have a worse life as consequence :-\

*hugs*
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #3038 on: April 28, 2020, 10:40:48 AM »
When I was reducing my antidepressives I didn't go straight to half, the reduction had to be much slower, so please be careful.

And you know, why can't you take them forever if needed? Most people living with an illness have to take daily medication for ever (my mum has a ton of tablets and pills, about 20 different ones, although not all are daily).
It's not a question of "being dependent" or a show of weakness, it's need for a good life.

Don't feel you have to stop taking them, and have a worse life as consequence :-\

*hugs*

Thank you so much for your support, Bea.  :D My doctor had actually been trying to talk me into reducing my meds for a while now, since it had been actually a really long while now since my last symptoms and that I was showing really good progress with my condition. It was me who was afraid to reduce it myself, hahah. I've recently have a new plan for the future which would be dependent upon having a rather psychiatric medication free history (well, in addition to the cost of the meds I guess), so I'm starting to try to reduce them. Don't worry, if things got really worse I'll switch the full dosage back on immediately.  ;)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #3039 on: April 29, 2020, 02:52:26 AM »

*hugs*

Thank you so much for your support, Bea.  :D My doctor had actually been trying to talk me into reducing my meds for a while now, since it had been actually a really long while now since my last symptoms and that I was showing really good progress with my condition. It was me who was afraid to reduce it myself, hahah. I've recently have a new plan for the future which would be dependent upon having a rather psychiatric medication free history (well, in addition to the cost of the meds I guess), so I'm starting to try to reduce them. Don't worry, if things got really worse I'll switch the full dosage back on immediately.  ;)

congrats on taking the step man!! Good luck with it!!!

My little brother has been on Adderal since he was very little (suggesting he's amped up and that it might not be good for him is NOOOOOTTTTTT the thing to say to him--he goes into a rage). He's also on suboxone for addiction, which is basically more expensive methadone-- they use it for opioid addiction. He did oxycontin and heroin for like a year-- he was still the guy I knew, but the treatment... suboxone is basically legal heroin you can get a prescription for and he gets it from this shady-ass scottish dude that i swear never does so much as an assessment and is more of a drug dealer than a psychiatrist.  So the treatment has been going on for 10 years, and his personality is crazy fucked.  Like when he hasn't had his pill he's psychotically screaming then he takes it and he's fine until the evening then he's a dick again, and when he drinks (which is every day) he starts off nice and turns evil after he's had enough. (he's why my phone is always on silent: first message at 1am is very sweet about how I'm the best brother ever then about 20 messages later he's all caps about how much he hates me). I've offered to help him do a 18 month detox, even found some secret clinics out of country for him to do ibogaine treatments, but he never wants to do it (probably b/c of the alcohol too). Anyway that shit is EXPENSIVE and over 10 years.... yeah thats a lot of money.

Anyway your situation is 100% different but I just wanted to say I might not have every been on anything myself but I relate to the struggle of chemical dependency and you're really brave for giving it a go! I guess one my only advice I can think of is: failure is okay, you just go from where you starting from, step by step, and if you fall, the stairs will always still be there for you to walk up again whenever you feel ready to do it.  Good luck man!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #3040 on: April 29, 2020, 05:52:54 AM »
Thank you so much J.R.! After some chemical imbalance yesterday I'm feeling pretty alright today, I could even say up to my normal level of moods and such. This journey is looking good so far.  :D

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3041 on: April 29, 2020, 05:27:59 PM »
Thank you so much J.R.! After some chemical imbalance yesterday I'm feeling pretty alright today, I could even say up to my normal level of moods and such. This journey is looking good so far.  :D

Glad to hear, Inks. We really are all rooting for you.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #3042 on: April 30, 2020, 04:24:24 AM »

Glad to hear, Inks. We really are all rooting for you.

Thank you, JMack! I'm moved by your kind words, hahah.  :D On my third half meds day and my mood is pretty stable today as well, so I think the outlook is quite positive as it goes.

Offline Cherie

« Reply #3043 on: April 30, 2020, 07:03:35 PM »
I wasn't 100% sure where to post this; originally I thought the virus thread, but it also applies to my time of stress and uncertainty, and is not limited to just our current time.

It seems that indulging in feelings of nostalgia, usually by watching older TV sitcoms is a kind of comfort blanket in the current stressful times we find ourselves in.

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/comic-relief-comfort-nostalgia-5-ways-our-tv-viewing-has-changed-lockdown

Personally, I'm not watching a huge amount of TV, and certainly not the shows mentioned in the study. However, I have rewatchef a fee Ghibli movies on Netflix, and I'm half way through a rewatch of The Expanse as my current favourite TV sci-fi. I'm also about 25 hours in on replaying the original Final Fantasy VII. I first played it when I was about 19 I think.

It might also go some way to explaining why I'm struggling to feel motivated enough to read any of the unread books on my shelves or kindle; subconsciously at least, the familiar is safe, and new is scary.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #3044 on: May 01, 2020, 06:21:12 AM »
I wasn't 100% sure where to post this; originally I thought the virus thread, but it also applies to my time of stress and uncertainty, and is not limited to just our current time.

It seems that indulging in feelings of nostalgia, usually by watching older TV sitcoms is a kind of comfort blanket in the current stressful times we find ourselves in.

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/comic-relief-comfort-nostalgia-5-ways-our-tv-viewing-has-changed-lockdown

Personally, I'm not watching a huge amount of TV, and certainly not the shows mentioned in the study. However, I have rewatchef a fee Ghibli movies on Netflix, and I'm half way through a rewatch of The Expanse as my current favourite TV sci-fi. I'm also about 25 hours in on replaying the original Final Fantasy VII. I first played it when I was about 19 I think.

It might also go some way to explaining why I'm struggling to feel motivated enough to read any of the unread books on my shelves or kindle; subconsciously at least, the familiar is safe, and new is scary.

I'm doing this as well, hahah. *glances without shame at my staggering pile of unread books while I reread my comfort reads*