February 23, 2020, 07:54:30 PM

Author Topic: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel  (Read 290526 times)

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel
« Reply #2895 on: December 28, 2019, 11:02:15 AM »
If anyones feeling lonely not just over the Christmas and the New Year holidays but anytime, just to let you know I'm here if you want me, to talk or listen.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 11:04:25 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2896 on: December 28, 2019, 02:31:42 PM »
Such a nice thing to post, Eclipse! :-*

We're all here for everyone, posting here in this thread or sending private messages to people you feel comfortable talking to.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Half a King
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #2897 on: December 28, 2019, 03:20:05 PM »
I might be on my own for New Year's, though it's almost entirely by choice as I tend to socially burn myself out over Christmas (I wasn't invited anywhere, but if I had put out feelers I could no doubt have found something). But it does often feel a bit lonely on the night in question, simply because you know almost everyone else out there is off at some party.

I'll make sure to treat myself to some new computer game or have a TV series ready to binge, and I'll be fine.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2898 on: December 28, 2019, 05:02:36 PM »
Oh, and there was I, thinking I was the only one on my own on New Year's Eve!
I don't care, to be honest - I'm usually in bed/asleep by midnight anyway. Sometimes a friend asks me for lunch on New Year's Day, but I treat it just as a 'party' thingie.

For me the 'new year' starts on my birthday, that's when I take stock of the year gone by and think about the future. When we're talking about 'societal traditions', I don't feel bad rejecting them and creating my own :)

Offline isos81

« Reply #2899 on: December 28, 2019, 08:05:48 PM »
If anyones feeling lonely not just over the Christmas and the New Year holidays but anytime, just to let you know I'm here if you want me, to talk or listen.

Likewise! I'm known around for my ability to listen deeply :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #2900 on: December 29, 2019, 08:40:04 AM »
I'll make sure to treat myself to some new computer game or have a TV series ready to binge, and I'll be fine.

Binge watching TV series is definitely my definition of the holidays.  ;D I've just finished watching Breaking Bad, in fact, and that was just stupendously amazing.

Online Bender

« Reply #2901 on: December 29, 2019, 01:13:48 PM »
NY Eve parties are overdone anyways. Expensive with cheap booze, bad food and rowdy yuppies, it's just as preferable as a hangover. People queue up over 8-10 hrs in Times Square to watch the ball drop without food or toilet facilities. I see the ball everyday from work and have no idea why that gains significance on NY. I prefer to be alone on NY Eve. Maybe some family and friends (which rarely happens) but no parties.

Sometimes I think that's because I'm getting old and missing the fun, but half of me disagrees. Still looking for a perfect Eve activity to do.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2902 on: December 30, 2019, 05:58:33 PM »
I'll be on my own and after all the hassle of Christmas I'm perfectly fine with it. I feel that sense of failure/loserhood some people get around the holidays is one of those insidious ways in which society hurts us. We're force-fed a particular IMAGE of how certain days and events SHOULD be, and failing to live up to a pop culture standard of "happiness" can leave us sad.

But screw that. Do as you like.

On an unrelated note:

I was hesitant to bring this up because I don't know if something counts as a good deed if you proceed to boast about it, but there is a point to be found so here goes.

I've made a good friend in the last couple of years. This year he's been dealing with some issues, such as cancer-related health scares and an attack of clinical depression. I'm no therapist but I've done my best to be in regular contact, suggest outings and just talk to him about how he's doing. Over the holidays he put a very lovely card in my mail box, expressing how much it has all meant to him.

I'm not good at assessing the effects I have on people around me, good or bad, so this little affirmation felt good.

We don't need to be superheroes or save the world from disease or pollution or corrupt politicians or human stupidity. If we can make a meaningful difference for the people in our immediate circle, then we have done well. There is no need to feel helpless in the face of forces to big for us to affect. We just need to focus on the human beings around us.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2903 on: December 30, 2019, 06:05:48 PM »
Eli, I liked everything you wrote, but especially this bit:

We don't need to be superheroes or save the world from disease or pollution or corrupt politicians or human stupidity. If we can make a meaningful difference for the people in our immediate circle, then we have done well. There is no need to feel helpless in the face of forces to big for us to affect. We just need to focus on the human beings around us.
I want to live believing and doing this, exactly!

Thanks for everything you normally write here, it has helped me too, throughout the year :)

Offline isos81

« Reply #2904 on: December 31, 2019, 06:45:32 AM »

I liked this quote so I shared it with some of my friends and one argued that this only half-solves problem. He also argued that there might also be a subliminal message as "Do what you do in your perimeter and do not even think of doing bigger goods because you will not be able to". He said this will prevent people from forming a bigger force because they will think it will be futile.

I know Eli does not mean this but can this be interpreted as my friend did?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2905 on: December 31, 2019, 08:57:03 AM »

I liked this quote so I shared it with some of my friends and one argued that this only half-solves problem. He also argued that there might also be a subliminal message as "Do what you do in your perimeter and do not even think of doing bigger goods because you will not be able to". He said this will prevent people from forming a bigger force because they will think it will be futile.

I'm trying to make the point that it's easy to feel hopeless, and to forget the little miracles we can do for the people around us. My point is positivity. Your friend is responding by being an edgelord, and I find it rather aggravating.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #2906 on: December 31, 2019, 09:12:59 AM »

I'm trying to make the point that it's easy to feel hopeless, and to forget the little miracles we can do for the people around us. My point is positivity. Your friend is responding by being an edgelord, and I find it rather aggravating.

;D This. Definitely why I hate expressing my opinion to others, since people could always came up with some weird/ mindless quip or another (and that's saying things lightly). I liked the quote, Eli, that's a very superhero-ish thing to say.  ;D

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: December 31, 2019, 09:29:36 AM »
Sending all of FF my good wishes for health, happiness and safety in 2020 especially in a difficult world.

I used to be happy and proud to share our  New Year's Fireworks celebrations with you all. Although for some inexplicable reason the govt here has decided they will still go ahead, it is a tasteless decision and not a cause for celebration. Sydney is already choked with smoke and the people wearing masks to combat air pollution.

Instead I am asking you to have a look at this thread, or if you are on Twitter to check #Mallacoota as a small example of our coastal towns, and see what unending climate change denial and refusal to acknowledge or prepare for it has resulted in for Australia.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2019/dec/31/australia-fires-live-news-nsw-victoria-bushfires-latest-updates
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 09:31:16 AM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline isos81

« Reply #2908 on: December 31, 2019, 10:37:17 AM »

Yes, told him the same :) He argued he was right to think so and your sentences are to be interpreted as he claimed. But there were others in the group and all the others interpreted just like above. Consequently, he has been scientifically proven wrong :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2909 on: January 10, 2020, 04:17:14 PM »
Under "light at the end of the tunnel" and positive things, did you see the moon last night/this morning?
It was huge and low and BEAUTIFUL ;D

I'm not sure it looks the same all around the globe, but here in my little corner of England it made my drive to work a lovely event - I actually gasped out loud, when I turned a corner and there it was, right in front of me!