December 09, 2019, 02:03:53 PM

Author Topic: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel  (Read 272172 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel
« Reply #2850 on: October 31, 2019, 08:00:55 AM »
^ gosh, so many times I start telling people how I really am, only to realise they're not really asking/interested, leaving me very embarrassed :-[

Now I just assume they don't care and never share, so I guess I fell on the opposite extreme :-\
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2851 on: October 31, 2019, 08:51:07 AM »
^ gosh, so many times I start telling people how I really am, only to realise they're not really asking/interested, leaving me very embarrassed :-[

Now I just assume they don't care and never share, so I guess I fell on the opposite extreme :-\

Yeah. It annoys me how much I have to go against my own nature and play these ridiculous games for the sake of society.

On a side note: Holy crap, you can actually adjust picture size on these forums?
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2852 on: October 31, 2019, 08:52:31 AM »
On a side note: Holy crap, you can actually adjust picture size on these forums?
;D
I learnt that a few years ago, how do you think I post all those cake pictures all at the same size, hehe?

Put height=xxx inside the img tags, if you click on 'modify' in your post you'll see that (I assume that's what you already did)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Godling
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #2853 on: October 31, 2019, 09:55:42 AM »

Unless it's with strangers or distant acquaintances, I tend to just answer questions honestly. I prefer that people learn that about me and adjust, either by not asking stuff they don't want to be answered, or simply by avoiding me altogether. I can't be bothered to play social games 90% of the time. I do see the point of it sometimes (avoiding hurting people with white lies, avoiding burdening people who already have enough to carry), but overall I prefer to just weed out the people who can't handle it.

The value of being told how refreshing it is that I speak openly about mental health and other issues far outweighs the value of how some find it uncomfortable or inappropriate. Most people deal with shit at some point and often they feel like they're alone in it, which is of course completely wrong. I'd like to think it's a small thing I do to improve the world.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2854 on: October 31, 2019, 03:36:38 PM »
And in that spirit, and because here's one of the only places I can speak up, today I'm having a bad day.
It feels very strange, as I haven't had one in a long time - it's both familiar and alien.

I never know why, but I think today I'm pinpointing causes, from stress about work, to people not doing what they're supposed to, to feeling the distance of people I used to be close friends with...

I'm doing all the "right things" to try to overcome it: taking deep breaths, trying to do the easy things at work, going to the regular Pilates class after work (I know there's still time to bail out, but I don't want to), and even comfort eating (bad! I'm trying to stay away from the chocolate in the vending machine...), but it's not working well.
I'm writing here and I just want to go into the toilet and cry.
I still have half an hour at my desk then another meeting before leaving, and I don't know how I'll cope...
I think I'll take my laptop and go to the break-out area, with the sofas. Maybe the change in environment will help...

I'll be clingy and ask for virtual support, images or words, all's fine...

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: October 31, 2019, 03:45:38 PM »
@ScarletBea

You amazing! And I just love hugging you every time I see you , you make me smile and brighten up my day lots of love from me.

Have  a hug from me.

Love you xxx
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Godling
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #2856 on: October 31, 2019, 04:10:46 PM »
FEEL-BETTER FLOOF INCOMING!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 04:14:36 PM by Magnus Hedén »
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2857 on: October 31, 2019, 04:40:00 PM »
Sending you happy thoughts, Bea.

I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: October 31, 2019, 06:43:27 PM »
You're the best! I don't believe that the contests would still exist without you and the stories would certainly not be posted on the main site! :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2859 on: October 31, 2019, 07:24:40 PM »
You guys are the best ;D
Yes, the place is different from a few years ago, some different people, but the core values are the same. Thanks a bunch!

I do feel better, going to the gym class was the right thing to do, even if I was still mumbling against it on the walk there, hehe

And having pasta for dinner, yummy!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #2860 on: November 01, 2019, 03:16:19 AM »
Sorry I'm late, Bea, what with the time zones and all. You are absolutely the best, the friendliest person and the greatest friend I've found here on the forums, and no matter how bad the days I had in real life, I always knew that once I'm back on the forums I could count on your encouragements and support. All the love and support to you, Bea!  :D

Here's an adorable cat posing for pictures to help you get over the bad days.

Edit: Did it, thanks @xiagan!   :D

Online isos81

« Reply #2861 on: November 01, 2019, 05:09:34 AM »
You are absolutely the best, the friendliest person and the greatest friend I've found here on the forums, and no matter how bad the days I had in real life, I always knew that once I'm back on the forums I could count on your encouragements and support. All the love and support to you, Bea!  :D

Seconded! You're the best :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: November 01, 2019, 09:00:51 AM »
For resizing pictures, you have to add either height (Bea's way) or width (my way ;)).

Like this:
Code: [Select]
[img width=600]www.mycoolpictureplzlike.com/shavedgorilla.png[/img]
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online isos81

« Reply #2863 on: November 01, 2019, 09:49:40 AM »
@xiagan  I'm really curious about this shaved gorilla ;D
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: November 01, 2019, 12:02:09 PM »
Super late HUGS, Bea!
Since you are already feeling better, maybe you can store them and use them when you feel like it.  ???
Or just use them now, and I'll send more (even if a bit late).  ;D

I hope you have a good day.
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.