June 20, 2018, 10:19:27 AM

Author Topic: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel  (Read 143543 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel
« Reply #2340 on: June 04, 2018, 08:28:36 AM »
I'm sorry about your friend, Bradley. It does make you think, and wonder, and ask 'what if'...
And about your back too - can you find a physio to help? Some gentle exercises?

And Gem, fingers and everything crossed for Mrs Gem!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: June 04, 2018, 08:54:34 AM »
Everything what Bea said.
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Online Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #2342 on: June 04, 2018, 11:08:32 AM »
Good luck on the skin graft Gem/Mrs. Gem!

Online xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #2343 on: June 04, 2018, 11:20:49 AM »
I'm sorry Bradley.

Did you try Osteopathy? It may do wonders.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: June 04, 2018, 12:37:26 PM »
Good wishes and thoughts for Bradley and Mrs. Gem.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2345 on: June 04, 2018, 04:30:23 PM »
A surprising turn to the day: we went in today and Mrs. Gem got her IV and hospital PJs, and they wheeled her into surgery. They took one look at the wound and decided it was healing nicely, after all, and no additional graft was required. So now I am playing hooky while she fries up some bacon and eggs.
Makes me think of a favorite movie quote:
"Luck, often enough, will save a man - if his courage holds." - Beolwyn, 13th Warrior
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: June 04, 2018, 05:39:29 PM »
A surprising turn to the day: we went in today and Mrs. Gem got her IV and hospital PJs, and they wheeled her into surgery. They took one look at the wound and decided it was healing nicely, after all, and no additional graft was required. So now I am playing hooky while she fries up some bacon and eggs.
Makes me think of a favorite movie quote:
"Luck, often enough, will save a man - if his courage holds." - Beolwyn, 13th Warrior

What a great result today!so happy for you both.
Eat them eggs!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2347 on: June 04, 2018, 05:49:39 PM »
Really great news :D
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2348 on: June 04, 2018, 09:54:00 PM »
Well, that's good news.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2349 on: June 08, 2018, 02:37:00 PM »
In my "quote a day" desk calendar, today's really resonates with me and my way of living:

"Be soft.
Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness.
Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."
Iain S. Thomas

and now I found that people have already created images for it, so here's one with a kitten :D

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 02:39:57 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2350 on: June 15, 2018, 03:49:59 AM »
So Jmack, how are you doing? Kristine's leg wound is healing up nicely, filling in so it looks a little less like a fresh shark bite and more like … a healing one hahahaha
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: June 15, 2018, 12:50:26 PM »
So Jmack, how are you doing? Kristine's leg wound is healing up nicely, filling in so it looks a little less like a fresh shark bite and more like … a healing one hahahaha

Very glad to hear about healing. She’s been in our prayers.

My body is a mystery to me. I assume everything is going as expected, but I don’t really know what to expect. I have various pains, funky breathing issues, can’t sleep through the night, and get inner ear wobble-wobbles when I wake up and when I’m tired. Normal? Not?

One thing’s for sure, I don’t think I’ve read a fantasy novel that gets wound recovery right. Scars itch. Knitting bones ache. Exhaustion lasts.

Good thing is I’m going to first cardio-rehab session today. Hopefully they’ll know what normal looks like and reduce the mystery.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2352 on: June 15, 2018, 09:17:44 PM »
One thing’s for sure, I don’t think I’ve read a fantasy novel that gets wound recovery right. Scars itch. Knitting bones ache. Exhaustion lasts.

yeah who would want 6 months of rehabilitation following 30 seconds of action?

I think fitness and physical ability is not a line or curve on a graph but steps. Something knocks you back and it becomes very hard to climb the vertical to the next plateau which is relatively easy to navigate up to the next vertical.

I seem to have tumbled a number of steps in the last 20 years and even getting back to where I was is
probably beyond my ability and willpower.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2353 on: June 16, 2018, 10:16:45 PM »
I think I'm leaning a bit towards cabin fever, if I may stretch the term a bit.

With university done until fall I'm not interacting with people in any regular fashion. And my friends haven't been available much lately.

Consequently I've mostly just been writing, either at home or by myself at a cafe, or taking solo trips to the parks. I do feel it's starting to affect me a bit, but I don't know what my alternative is. I'm told autists tend to eventually give up on social outlets that just don't suit them, and I'm pretty much at that stage. But now I'm wondering what to do. There are only so many options in a town of Akureyri's size, and none of them particularly appeal to me.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: June 16, 2018, 11:30:01 PM »
I think I'm leaning a bit towards cabin fever, if I may stretch the term a bit.

With university done until fall I'm not interacting with people in any regular fashion. And my friends haven't been available much lately.

Consequently I've mostly just been writing, either at home or by myself at a cafe, or taking solo trips to the parks. I do feel it's starting to affect me a bit, but I don't know what my alternative is. I'm told autists tend to eventually give up on social outlets that just don't suit them, and I'm pretty much at that stage. But now I'm wondering what to do. There are only so many options in a town of Akureyri's size, and none of them particularly appeal to me.

Is there any kind of writers, gamers, or such group?