June 22, 2018, 12:32:25 AM

Author Topic: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel  (Read 143670 times)

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
Re: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel
« Reply #2265 on: May 17, 2018, 01:35:11 AM »
I will say the one part of ready player one I really related to was the part where they meet each other in person and how they defied each other's expectations but still knew each other and had a genuine connection. Some things like nonverbal communication make in person meetings valuable, but it's also liberating to connect in a space where you're not ruled by how you look dress or sound. I bet @tebakutis would have a lot to say about this. There's a solar steam sauna at burning man where you meet tons of people standing naked in a sweat lodge-- it's kind of crazy stepping out and seeing people out their clothes back on bc out really affects how you judge them on a subconscious level. Granted at burning man it meant the guy you were talking to gets into a chicken costume and the girl gets into post apocalyptic Mad Max bruiser gear... I guess what I'm saying is that maybe the connections you make here are even *more* real than meeting in person, on certain levels at least. @ArcaneArtsVelho I totally get you about the one-sided kind of faux engagement you see on YouTube or Instagram or Facebook "influencer" accounts that's totally creepy. I guess you mentioning that makes me cherish how sweet the space we have here is.

Unrelated-- when you know what you need to do to get writing but just don't... How do you motivate (or discipline) yourselves?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:37:33 AM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: May 17, 2018, 10:41:28 AM »
I totally get you about the one-sided kind of faux engagement you see on YouTube or Instagram or Facebook "influencer" accounts that's totally creepy. I guess you mentioning that makes me cherish how sweet the space we have here is.
Yes, it is creepy if a person purposefully and maliciously uses this... human nature (?) to their advantage.
That being said, I wasn't talking specifically about anything creepy in my last post. I was merely pondering about the way we humans can appreciate some stranger's content and/or personality (or even image?) so much that we become emotionally invested in that person even though he/she doesn't have any direct communication with us or doesn't even necessarily know that we exist. I guess that's just a form of fandom? So, nothing new, but perhaps more prevalent these days?
It makes very little sense to me but is, like I said, very real.
But yes, it can be creepy, both ways in fact, if there is abuse or crazy obsession related to this one-sided emotional connection.

Oh, and I wonder if this forum being such a nice place has anything to do with the fact that all the bad people out there can't make an account? Or even the good people, for that matter...  :P ;D
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2267 on: May 17, 2018, 10:46:30 AM »
I was merely pondering about the way we humans can appreciate some stranger's content and/or personality (or even image?) so much that we become emotionally invested in that person even though he/she doesn't have any direct communication with us or doesn't even necessarily know that we exist. I guess that's just a form of fandom? So, nothing new, but perhaps more prevalent these days?
It makes very little sense to me but is, like I said, very real.
:-[ This happened to me - when I saw Jen Williams at the signing in March I went up to her and started chatting as if we were old friends, just because of reading her twitter :-[
Then I realised what I was doing, got really embarrassed and apologised and explained - she was nice, she understood, hehe

Oh, and I wonder if this forum being such a nice place has anything to do with the fact that all the bad people out there can't make an account? Or even the good people, for that matter...  :P ;D
:-\ Marc is working on it, at least he said he'd do it...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #2268 on: May 18, 2018, 09:58:40 AM »
@ArcaneArtsVelho I made a post about that:

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/forum-help/bugs-errors/msg185131/#msg185131

Also you might find this article about internet vs. friendships interesting.  It mentions offhand that are brains are wired to feel like we know celebrities because we've seen so much of them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/12/style/who-are-my-real-friends.html

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: May 18, 2018, 12:17:30 PM »
@ArcaneArtsVelho I made a post about that:

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/forum-help/bugs-errors/msg185131/#msg185131
Oh, I read that.
Hadn't liked it for some reason, though.  ???
Surely a mistake on my part.
Corrected!  :)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: May 18, 2018, 01:09:44 PM »
Super late I know (cuz I'm just always late?)
But best wishes to @JMack!
Hope everything goes alright and that you get to be up and about in no time \o/

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: May 19, 2018, 12:46:42 AM »
Wonderful and frustrating day.

The frustrating: My blood still has too much anticoagulant in it for surgery tomorrow. So, delayed until Monday - assuming the plavix is gone. By then, will have been sitting on my arse in a hospital bed for a full week, feeling pretty much absolutely fine.

The wonderful: Celia told us that Dave would be face-timing at 1:30. So at 1:30 he walked into the hospital room after a five hour drive up from Ohio. He stayed 4 hours and turned right around to go back, since he has farmers markets tomorrow where he makes his living selling the hummus he makes. And at 2:00, my mom and her wife arrived. They were expected, but equally welcome. Finally, I’ve cozied up to the hospital staff all week building good will (because of course it was entirely selfish of me to do so; nothing to do with just being a decent enough guy) and cashed it all in to get into a private room away from my unfortunate roommate whose discomfort, irascibility, and lack of English language have meant multiple nightly disruptions and lack of sleep for me.

Plus:
My workplace “daughters” (there’s a story to that) sent me a lovely Star Wars themes journal and C3PO Cross pen, and the woman who works for me sent a digital recorder - both gift sets intended to help me write during my hiatus.

Ok. So basically a wonderful day.  :)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: May 19, 2018, 01:41:50 AM »
Sorry about the prolonged frustration at having to endure so much delay, JMack, but glad they are so careful with you.

So, you have bamboozled and sweet-talked the staff into giving you a room to yourself ;D. Do we nickname you SilverFox now? That should make the wait more bearable with peace and quiet. Also much more comfortable with your visitors, and happy for you that the whole family is managing to visit.  ;D

You do realise we will be expecting new direction overload in future stories, after all this time to imagine and daydream ?   Thoughts and happy wishes.  8)

'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2273 on: May 19, 2018, 02:24:04 AM »
Wonderful and frustrating day.

Hoping for the best for you. Keep us updated!

Online JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: May 19, 2018, 11:33:49 AM »

So, you have bamboozled and sweet-talked the staff into giving you a room to yourself ;D. Do we nickname you SilverFox now?

Yes, yes you do.   8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Online JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: May 21, 2018, 11:22:33 AM »
Today’s the day.
Mrs. JMack will text @ScarletBea when we know I’m good, so she can let anyone else here know.
On to the next chapter in this slow journey.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2276 on: May 21, 2018, 12:32:34 PM »
Best of luck

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2277 on: May 21, 2018, 12:40:50 PM »
Today’s the day.
Mrs. JMack will text @ScarletBea when we know I’m good, so she can let anyone else here know.
On to the next chapter in this slow journey.
Thanks, I'll be waiting.
Lots of good luck for you! xx
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2278 on: May 21, 2018, 12:47:44 PM »
Good luck, we are all pulling for you.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #2279 on: May 21, 2018, 12:48:40 PM »
Good luck! We will be thinking of you!

Preorders help an author more than you think!
http://www.cameronjohnston.net