May 30, 2017, 06:30:27 AM

Author Topic: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel  (Read 89761 times)

Offline Eli_Freysson

Re: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel
« Reply #1650 on: May 13, 2017, 10:32:47 PM »
Real life is so difficult ???

Yeah. Is it any wonder one prefers fantasy?  :)
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Online The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #1651 on: May 14, 2017, 06:05:08 AM »
Friend of mine's sister is struggling with cancer. She's a mom, and it's mother's day, so perhaps $5 or whatever is clever will make a difference for her. Nice chance to pay it forward or pay it back, or perhaps both.

https://www.gofundme.com/win-the-battle-against-cancer
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: May 14, 2017, 11:40:41 AM »
Rosie dog isn't eating anything this a.m.  Internists can't see her for, like, two weeks to figure out why her body is "leaking" protein. Which causes shakes and other fun things.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1653 on: May 14, 2017, 02:17:33 PM »
Awww :(
Isn't there an animal hospital nearby, or something similar for urgencies?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Elderling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: May 14, 2017, 04:11:56 PM »
And look and behold she perked up.
Clearly not a well critter, but not an emergency right now.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1655 on: May 14, 2017, 04:26:44 PM »
Does she need cake? ;D
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Elderling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: May 14, 2017, 08:32:53 PM »
Does she need cake? ;D

She says yes.  8)

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1657 on: May 14, 2017, 09:06:22 PM »
Here you go, Rosie ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1658 on: May 14, 2017, 09:14:33 PM »
Different post because completely different subject.

Today I was watching the latest NCIS episode and I had to fast-forward on a couple of scenes. One of the key characters in this episode was dying of cancer, and then there was a big conversation with one of the recurrent characters about another person who'd died of cancer.

I used to be able to watch these things, all throughout this past year, but now it upsets me.
Am I more sensitive?
The therapist the other day said that was the lowest she'd seen me, since Aug/Sep when I first saw her.
The path doesn't always move forward, does it? :-\
I have to toughen up, I can't live my life avoiding cancer talk on tv - apart from not being possible, I don't want to live like that.

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Elderling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: May 14, 2017, 09:24:50 PM »
Different post because completely different subject.

Today I was watching the latest NCIS episode and I had to fast-forward on a couple of scenes. One of the key characters in this episode was dying of cancer, and then there was a big conversation with one of the recurrent characters about another person who'd died of cancer.

I used to be able to watch these things, all throughout this past year, but now it upsets me.
Am I more sensitive?
The therapist the other day said that was the lowest she'd seen me, since Aug/Sep when I first saw her.
I have to toughen up, I can't live my life avoiding cancer talk on tv - apart from not being possible, I don't want to live like that.

Heard most of this on the radio today while driving to meet my mom and Eva for brunch. This isn't any sort off"answer" to your post, B. But it does deal with struggling and surviving the Big C. I thought it was lovely. BTW, I'm aware some of the subject matter might be hard given some of your experience. I hope that's ok.

https://themoth.org/stories/inside-joke

Online The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #1660 on: May 15, 2017, 12:10:22 AM »
Am I more sensitive?

I don't know anything about cancer or its psychological impacts. But I understand the bubble of invulnerability that we imagine protects us, and the way it feels when that bubble is swept away. Even beaten, things that shatter our sense of safety inherit a terrible weight and potency that far outlasts their original threat. And who we are, who we think we are,  what we think is important - all these things change for some of us.

My point, if I have one, is that neither the person looking at the thing, nor the thing itself remain the same. And so what might seem old territory is really new and frightening ground.

Our reactions can waffle between avoiding those things and being preoccupied with them, and everything in between. This is, in my experience, our internal compass still spinning, and when it comes to rest, it may no longer point in the same direction. Such is the price of survival. My two cents.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1661 on: May 15, 2017, 05:42:38 PM »
So many things to ponder and assimilate...

But in the meantime I've reached my limit. My fatigue has put a big barrier in front of me. I'm leaving work completely exhausted and drained, so until I feel ok again, there will be no increase in hours or days. I won't go backwards (I hope), but no more. I just can't stand it. I'm softly crying with fatigue as I write this, and I've already rested for about 1.5 hours (well, reading after a bit, when I could focus - I finished the book, and that might be where the tears are coming from too)

Offline ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1662 on: May 15, 2017, 09:23:28 PM »
What a difference some hours make... I'll get by with a little help from my friends!

I'm still not 100%, but feeling a lot better after:
- chatted a bit with Jmack on skype (text only - I was never brave enough to do video with the people in my list)
- confirmed the dates with Saraband, to go visit him in July (and booked the B&B!)
- rested some more
- had icecream
 :D

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #1663 on: May 16, 2017, 01:16:52 PM »
Friends are what keep us going, which is surprisingly easy to forget.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #1664 on: May 17, 2017, 08:55:01 AM »
well.. that and ice cream :)

Tags: