August 23, 2019, 03:02:58 PM

Author Topic: CHRISTMAS!!  (Read 5990 times)

Offline Rostum

Re: CHRISTMAS!!
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 05:57:46 PM »
Work is mental, I'm scratched, bruised

I never realised bookselling was so dangerous, please take care in the stacks...
I hope you survive the silly season, its forced merriment and frantic commercial spirit intact and manage to relax even for a bit.
I  am not a fan myself, a Christmas eve suicide saw to that a long time ago and this will be the first family Christmas without my dad so just want to get through the family stuff and get it over with.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 07:30:02 PM »
Work is mental, I'm scratched, bruised

I never realised bookselling was so dangerous, please take care in the stacks...

I get cut and scratches from opening a large amount of cardboard boxes this time of year. Bruises, well, we move fast, need to avoid customers, and navigate cluttered rooms. I slam my thighs and hand and arms quite often. Plus a lot of heavy lifting of board games across stair cases. It's just hectic. We're the second shop in the whole of Waterstones when it comes to pulling money in, behind London. So we're always running, refilling gaps, scrambling to help. We have books on tables too, and we make them fall all the time.

I  am not a fan myself, a Christmas eve suicide saw to that a long time ago and this will be the first family Christmas without my dad so just want to get through the family stuff and get it over with.

That's pretty horrible, though I assume the whole pressure of the "season" doesn't help people who feel cornered in some way. Still, hard enough to deal with a suicide at any time of the year, but for its anniversary to fall just when everyone else is all 'jolly' and festive... that's rough.
Hope you manage to have a good get together, if not a happy one, despite your dad's absence.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
I'm 35 years old now, and I'm fairly cynical. There's an Icelandic phrase that I don't think has an exact thematic English translation, but it literally translates into "black-sighted".

It's hard for me to get enthusiastic about Christmas. But half an hour ago I reluctantly gave in to a whim and went for an evening drive around town to check out the Christmas lights.

(We do decorate a lot)

It's snowing moderately, and along the way I wove through a particular residential neighbourhood that I've made something of a tradition to visit every Christmas. Mom used to go through there with my brother and I, and it's compact, with lots of bushes and trees, and generally very heavily decorated. It's very postcard-ish.

And between memories, the lights, weather, classic holiday songs on the radio and whatnot... I felt just a little bit of that old magic in my system.

It was a pleasant surprise.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline RobertS

• Builder
  • Personal Text, isn't that a bit personal?
    • View Profile
    • robertdavidstrawn.com
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2017, 04:05:43 AM »
Merry Xmas!
I would rather look stupid today than be stupid tomorrow.

Offline abatch

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2017, 06:36:44 AM »
Merry Christmas, one and all. May your holiday be peaceful and full of love!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2017, 07:42:28 AM »
Merry Christmas everybody!

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2017, 09:46:47 AM »
Hope you all have a lovely day, in your chosen way :-*
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2017, 09:58:01 AM »
Hope it is a relaxing day for everyone and keep safe on your journey if you are out visiting .
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2017, 12:07:25 PM »
Merry Christmas, all. It’s just above freezing, with winds up to 40 mph (no idea of that in kms). Will sing at church in a bit, then home for stockings (no one under 29 years in this house, but it’s a tradition) and sausage bread. Driver to my mother-in-law’s Alzheimer home, then over to my sister-in-law’s for mid-afternoon dinner and gift opening. There are four rounds of gift-opening: our 4-some, my in-law family, my mom and her wife, then my side of the family on New Year’s by video chat. In the middle is my mom’s 80th birthday. (As my wife says, my mom forgets almost everyone’s birthday, but we dare not forget hers.)

And somewhere in here I want to finish the monthly contest story. And finish some work projects while on holiday.  :P and go back on a diet. And............

I enjoy Christmas a lot. But the stresses are real and frustrating. Maybe an entry in the Depression link rather than here.

Still! Whether you believe in the faith side of the day (as I do some days), love the season for it’s sentimental and family side (as I do all the time), or not — have the best of Christmases everyone.

Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2017, 03:52:51 PM »
My favorite gift this year, a framed version of The Hobbit cover art, which my wife had commissioned by a calligrapher in the UK. At the top is the first paragraph of the book, and at the bottom, the last. Perfect for me!

The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell