February 24, 2020, 06:44:38 PM

Author Topic: Bigotry in Fantasy  (Read 3256 times)

Offline isos81

Re: Bigotry in Fantasy
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 06:48:07 AM »
Master threadomancer on business 8)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 10:15:59 AM »
Fascinating to me that this thread is from 2012, the year before the first Puppy-related campaign, two years before the Puppies (et al) really started targeting the Hugos. Arguably, that whole schmozzle really lanced that boil for the genre (the way the current RWA debacle might hopefully be doing for Romance). That doesn't mean there interesting lingering unpleasantness, but I hear long-time genre-community members like Kate Elliot telling stories of "back in the day" and it's hideous, and I believe (and really hope) we've come a long way since.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 04:48:50 PM »
Have I missed a single example in this thread? Lots of people talking about how horrible we all are, but not discussing titles authors or giving examples. I reckon most of the fantasy published in the 70's or before (with a few notable exceptions) would not be published now.

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 05:11:51 PM »
What I find strange is when a character is a bigot and some readers must think the author must be too for writing such a character.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Rostum

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 05:13:59 PM »
Exactly this. The good and noble are so bland to read.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 05:48:24 PM »
I don't know if it's the books I read/your recommendations/general authors, but I haven't really found any -isms in my fantasy books.
The worst I got might be just some patronising/sexist stuff, but nothing too overt - for example, an army just with men with all the women at home.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!