July 23, 2019, 04:58:44 PM

Author Topic: Baked beans who love/hates them here  (Read 5584 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Baked beans who love/hates them here
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 07:41:44 PM »
Whenever threads like this pop up we always seem to learn something.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline EricaDakin

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 10:48:06 PM »
I was never big on them, but my father used to enjoy a baked bean jaffle.
A what????

Jaffles (from wikipedia) "The traditional device is known as a pie iron, pudgy pie iron or jaffle iron. It consists of two hinged concave, round or square metal, plates on long handles. The plates clamp together to form an enclosed compartment meant for cooking stuffed sandwiches. The plates seal the outside edges of the bread together, to completely enclose the filling. They are typically made of cast iron to cook over coal or open flames."

Oh, a toastie!

Anyway, hate baked beans. Hate them hate them hate them. Evil little things. Eww!
Butterflies instantly came to life in his stomach, and the little bastards were heavily armed. - The Republic of Thieves.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 06:06:44 AM »
Still eating the baked beans on toast!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 06:13:38 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 06:29:23 AM »
Oh most noble @Eclipse, Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient threads, I salute you for a good choice here.. ;D

I love Baked Beans and have them on toast for any meal I feel like. I don't like them messed about with though so always buy the ones labelled British Recipe here,  ie thicker tomato sauce  than plain Baked Beans. Will eat by the spoonful cold when fridge raiding.

And only ever Heinz.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 06:54:41 AM »
Never had them on toast - but I do garnish hot dogs with beans whenever I can. Partly for the flavor, and partly for the moans and groans at the table by others lamenting that I've "ruined a perfectly good hot dog - AGAIN!"
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 08:44:21 AM »
yay I love beans on toast - or in jacket potatoes ;D

Oh most noble @Eclipse, Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient threads
This 8)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 08:46:07 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 03:27:39 PM »
Haven't had baked beans in a while, though I do have a recipe for making them I wanna try. Just have to get around to doing it.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 05:05:57 PM »
You don't *cook* baked beans, you get them off a tin ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Pwibble

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 05:18:29 PM »
Nope - can't be doing with baked beans. Intellectually, I understand that they are a relatively good convenient food and I eat other bean-related foodstuffs, but when I was in infant school (something like age 6) you had a big kid sit on your table at lunchtime and make you eat everything on your plate. Was made to eat baked beans = psychological block and now I choose never to eat them.

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2017, 06:54:38 PM »
You don't *cook* baked beans, you get them off a tin ;D
You do if you're a vegetarian and find none which sound appealing or don't contain some kind of meat ;).

There are probably brands and flavors out there to met my needs, but I'd prefer to make my own so I get exactly what I want. I enjoy sweet things to a point, but most canned baked beans I've tried are a little too sweet for me.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:54:02 PM by NightWrite »

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 09:30:30 PM »
I tend to avoid them. Often a lunch option but feel that would be a form of child abuse to consume baked beans and then teach.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2017, 09:53:41 PM »
Has anyone ever tried them made from a bean besides the commonly used navy beans?

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 11:20:46 PM »
I make a chili based upon a random assortment of navy beans, pink, white, and black beans, red & white kidney beans, great white northern beans, and pinto beans.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 12:19:00 AM »
I make a chili based upon a random assortment of navy beans, pink, white, and black beans, red & white kidney beans, great white northern beans, and pinto beans.
Sounds interesting. When I make chili it's usually an assortment of red kidney beans, black beans, and lentils. Though lately I've been thinking about adding pinto beans to the mix, or quinoa. But since when I usually make chili it's for my family during the holidays and my family isn't big on quinoa I doubt it'll make an appearance.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 05:40:30 AM »
My wife makes a bean soup that is essentially a chicken soup with rice, and the addition of great white northern beans, Mexicali corn (corn with the bits of red pepper in it), and green salsa. Very yummy, and you can modulate the salsa content so it's warm enough to be interesting, but doesn't burn your mouth down. Very tasty.
The Gem Cutter