October 20, 2019, 12:42:35 PM

Author Topic: Ask a Brit/American what this means  (Read 73989 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a Brit/American what this means
« Reply #660 on: April 16, 2019, 08:23:36 PM »
Through a couple of TV series I've come to realise that in the US, paramedics/ambulances aren't linked with Hospitals, they're linked with firefighters instead??
That doesn't make much sense, does it??
In Germany you call the firefighters too, when you need an ambulance. At least here in Berlin, I don't remember this from other parts of Germany I've lived in...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 28, 2019, 07:18:35 AM »
It’s so easy to get confused when talking to our friends across the pond. Isn’t Language  just amazing

https://www.ragan.com/quite-rather-and-pretty-the-differences-between-british-and-american-english/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 07:25:32 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #662 on: September 28, 2019, 08:28:25 AM »
It’s so easy to get confused when talking to our friends across the pond. Isn’t Language  just amazing

https://www.ragan.com/quite-rather-and-pretty-the-differences-between-british-and-american-english/

I once read about the difference between "I'll smoke a fag" from the British and American perspectives. It's hilarious.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #663 on: September 28, 2019, 10:18:47 AM »
I believe the logic behind the American system is as valid as the European system but very different. Firefighters tend to also be trained as paramedics and stabalise patients at the scene. Ambulances and their crews tend to be attached to specific hospitals or private companies. In the rest of the first world your medical care is not billable and it matters not how you are treated and get to hospital as the cost comes out the same money pot.