June 01, 2020, 11:52:01 PM

Author Topic: Art vs Artist  (Read 2210 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: Art vs Artist
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2020, 03:24:17 AM »
So I was mostly wrong. Birds of Prey tanked but most of the people who saw it were men. Presumably insulting those who read the comics didn't stop them watching it.

Found this interesting statistic. It does seem comic book movies are generally more popular with men than women.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/807365/marvel-movie-viewership-gender/

Also that BoP had a R rating whereas most Marvel movies had a PG-13 rating, which is a key differentiator because of kids/family. Kids are a big reason for presence of accompanying adults in audience, which BoP didn't take advantage of.

Joker was the only R rated movie to do well at box office and I'd put that down to familiarity of character plus Dark Knight movie's popularity. BoP had mostly unknown characters outside of comic book community...probably similar to why Suicide Squad was also a dud.

This, especially that the movie itself is a kind of continuation from the Suicide Squad, which a lot of people thought was pretty terrible. Besides Harley Quin, people also doesn't know any of the other characters so it lacked the star power of Suicide Squad too. I for one saw how the posters looked and just from that lose most of my interest in the flick.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2020, 07:34:16 AM »
Don't forget Deadpool was also R rated and did ok. I think the Birds of Prey comics had a fairly low circulation which may not have helped.

Now Wonderwoman wasn't an R nor was Alita Battle Angel both 13's and they did better and if BOP was a 13 it may have picked up the teen demographic but I still think Ewan McGregor opening his mouth and then combative marketing sank this movie.

BTW the link takes me to no data and lots of ways to spend money and no I am not creating an account for the maybe promise of usable data.

Offline Bender

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2020, 02:34:51 PM »
BTW the link takes me to no data and lots of ways to spend money and no I am not creating an account for the maybe promise of usable data.

Not sure why it's suddenly become premium.

"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Yora

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2020, 02:58:33 PM »
With the exception of Dredd it's all pretty even at ~40/60, and I wouldn't even count Dredd as a superhero movie.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Bender

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2020, 03:14:55 PM »
Yeah. For BoP it was 46-54 split on opening weekend, which is in line with any other marvel movies.

The lack of box office popularity was probably due to unfamiliar heroes, failure of suicide squad and getting released immediately after Joker which shares similar themes.

I don't see any gender demographic change due to Ewan's "feminist movie" comments and related marketing.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2020, 05:25:26 AM »
I read an interesting blog about Birds of Prey, female gaze, and processing vs inflicting trauma and thought it might be of interest to others in this discussion too.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2020, 10:48:55 PM »
Have you seen it yet? A friend did and thought it an OK film if lacking in coherent plot.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2020, 12:28:59 AM »
Have you seen it yet? A friend did and thought it an OK film if lacking in coherent plot.

Alas no. My February babysitting credits were all already used up. Hopefully I can arrange something for this weekend coming...