September 22, 2019, 11:56:17 PM

Author Topic: Are journals considered short stories?  (Read 230 times)

Offline Veladren

Are journals considered short stories?
« on: August 21, 2019, 08:15:19 PM »
Hi everyone, I've been working on a book/ video game for several years now. It's high medieval fantasy. I have hundreds of stories that take place all over the world and events in time. It has a lot of history in the world. One such journal is around 5200 words long and takes place in years past and tells a humans journey following the undead king and trying to figure out who the undead king is. I want to send this journal into a publisher or a contest but was unsure if it would be considered a short story. Thank you for your time and help.

Offline Bender

Re: Are journals considered short stories?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 09:31:40 PM »
How is the writing style? Similar to Diary if a Wimpy Kid or Bridget Jones Diary type books?
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Veladren

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 10:43:40 PM »
It's a journal of a man in his 20s. He's given up on a normal life to persue the undead king that killed his father a few years back.

Offline Bender

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 12:45:38 AM »
I suppose so, yes. It's an interesting concept.

Offline laughs

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 07:07:37 AM »
It can certainly be considered a short story. Many literary works have been presented in the form of a character's journal. Kierkegaard's Diary of a Seducer is a fair example; it is regarded as philosophical fiction and is part of reading lists at many universities.

Offline Bender

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 11:41:30 AM »
It can certainly be considered a short story. Many literary works have been presented in the form of a character's journal. Kierkegaard's Diary of a Seducer is a fair example; it is regarded as philosophical fiction and is part of reading lists at many universities.

Me too. I live in state of Greenland.  8)