September 20, 2019, 02:42:19 AM

Author Topic: About Digital Rights Management  (Read 10342 times)

Offline Fallen One

• Chrestomanci
  • At long last I crafted a decent profile!
    • View Profile
About Digital Rights Management
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:15:58 PM »

Dear community:

As the thread about digital piracy didn't go as expected (and considering the ominous figure of the banhammer above my head), I decided to present another topic of interest: DRM, Digital Rights Management. For more information in that specific subject, you can check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Whether a person thinks piracy is detrimental for the authors or the other way around, I think it's a safe thing to say it's impossible to erradicate it without massively cutting out other rights (mainly freedom of speech). This is specially true with peer to peer networks, allowing the exchange of files directly between computers.

Parting from that setting (piracy is and will be a harsh reality, at least in the foreseeable future), it strikes me as odd and counter-productive for music, video games and other digital media to have DRM, for it inconveniences the legitimate user (meaning the person who spent money for the product), while leaving the pirates (meaning those who didn't pay for the product) free of any care of the world.

As an example, I'll use Ubisoft's infamous DRM measures for Assassin Creed II for the PC: it had a limit of three installations ever, and you needed to always be connected to internet in order to play (mind you, this is a single player game). All the criticism about how draconian the measure was, was completely ignored.

So what happened? A short while after the game's launch, Ubisoft's servers went down, leaving thousands of players unable to play. Meanwhile, the pirates just had to wait a few days for a crack to go out and became able to play the game to their heart's content. The same happens to music, ebooks and everything: it's the legit user who has to deal with those issues, while the pirate can just enjoy them freely. To me it sounds quite counter-intuitive, what do you think about it?

NOTE: The argument isn't originally mine, but I think it makes quite a lot of sense, so I present it here.
Director and editor of Nerd Alert Magazine:
 https://www.facebook.com/NerdAlertMagazine

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: About Digital Rights Management
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 08:34:17 PM »
It drives me crazy with music.  I use itunes on my laptop as its generally seems to be the best player around, but I use a Sandisk mp3 player and a Samsung Android phone so when I rip a music CD on iTunes I have to run the tracks through soundtaxi afterwards so I can put them onto my portable players. Pure madness.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 08:36:22 PM »
I don't think DRM is the answer - it's easy to crack anyway, and it only really penalises legit customers.

I don't know what the answer is, but IMO not that.
My tongue has been in my cheek for so long, I've eroded a new mouth.

Duellists Trilogy (as Julia Knight) coming soon from Orbit!

http://www.juliaknight.co.uk/

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 08:39:33 PM »
I don't think DRM is the answer - it's easy to crack anyway, and it only really penalises legit customers.

I don't know what the answer is, but IMO not that.

Exactly, its easy to crack, its wrong, so what's the point of it?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:40:37 PM »
Buggered if I know!

ETA: To be fair, I know that several pubs offer DRM free ebooks on their own sites, but they seem to magically acquire it at online booksellers.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:42:39 PM by Francis Knight »

Offline THElewisdix

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »

The fight over DRM is no different than the fight here in the US over gun laws. A pirate is still going to figure out how to steal your software/music/book, and a criminal is still going to get a gun.

All you're doing is making it more difficult for perfectly law-abiding citizens to use and/or obtain your product.
I, Minion: "Fun, dark, a worthy read!"
http://amzn.to/ZwVnOu

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 12:45:46 AM »
I like reading ebooks, and I'd probably buy more of them if they made more of them available here in Australia. I've seen authors explain this, but it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that if a book doesn't get an Australian release I can happily go onto a site like Amazon or Book Depository and have it shipped to my door, generally costing less than what I would have to pay going into a bricks and mortar store, yet if I want the same book digitally I am not allowed to download it legally. To a certain extent issues like this are what drive the pirates. In terms of piracy downloading (mostly TV shows and movies) I believe Australia leads the world per capita (for a nation founded largely by convicts that seems oddly apt), the reason for this seems to be that for years TV networks here have refused to screen shows until they want to, and in many cases this can be months after they've originally aired (anything after S3 of Eureka being a case in point). I think it's similar with ebooks not being legally available everywhere. 
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 01:36:38 AM »

The fight over DRM is no different than the fight here in the US over gun laws. A pirate is still going to figure out how to steal your software/music/book, and a criminal is still going to get a gun.

All you're doing is making it more difficult for perfectly law-abiding citizens to use and/or obtain your product.

I agree. We will always have criminals. There's nothing we can do besides police them.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
  • Can't think of anything clever for this...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 07:58:47 AM »
I normally just make a playlist on youtube and add the music I like to it. One of them has 200 songs in it after two months, though. xD
Oh, I have a blog. http://dullboredom.wordpress.com/

Check it out, if you've got the time. Much appreciated.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline Francis Knight

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 08:42:37 AM »
This seems pertinent

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/pirate-party-member-julia-schramm-slammed-for-defending-copyright-a-856977.html

Potted version: Person what prominently supports the free exchange of copyrighted property, even going so far as to call the concept of intellectual property 'disgusting', member of the Pirate Party, issues take down notice when it's her book....

Offline Fallen One

• Chrestomanci
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »

I don't think it's pertinent, since I posted a thread precisely about that yesterday. Besides, in this forum it isn't allowed to speak in favor of piracy, so the conversation would turn boring:

User 1: "Piracy is bad"
 User 2: "No, piracy is even worse"
 User 3: "I agree with all the above statements"

Doesn't sound like much of a conversation to me :(

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
    • The Marketplace of Opinions
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 02:50:38 PM »
We don't promote piracy, no. What you get up to in your private life is up to you, what we took exception to was someone telling us that we should be posting links to downloads here.

The article Francis linked to is interesting though; funny how quickly people's opinions can change when it is them being affected. If she truly believed art shouldn't be intellectual property she would have been giving away her book for free in the first place.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline Fallen One

• Chrestomanci
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 03:05:26 PM »
Or selling it AND posting it so it could be downloaded for free by those who don't have the means or aren't interested enough in her book to buy it. That seems like the smartest course of action toe, specially for someone from the pirate party. Too bad this episode will tarnish the image of pirates everywhere :(

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
Too bad this episode will tarnish the image of pirates everywhere :(

What image do pirates have of themselves anyway? Can't say my image of them could be tarnished much further anyway.  :-\
Make Another World.

David Bridger

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 03:28:19 PM »
Too bad this episode will tarnish the image of pirates everywhere :(

Can't say I'm particularly bothered about the image problems of thieves.