September 20, 2019, 12:33:49 AM

Author Topic: About digital piracy  (Read 7821 times)

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
Re: About digital piracy
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 07:37:41 PM »
MOD POST
Seriously guys spoiler tags don't cut it. We, as a site, are anti-piracy for legal reasons. The DRM discussion can continue, as can discussion of the article in the OP, but no more "piracy is okay" posts or I'm going to close the thread.

So in response to Fallen One's last post: I realize this is a many colored problem with lots of gray areas, but take it off site with this one, okay?

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread. :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:42:20 PM by Autumn2May »

Offline Lionwalker

• Writer of Twilight Fan Fiction
  • Auror
  • Schmoking Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 07:38:58 PM »
A similar issue for me has come up with Scrivener. I'm using the trial version now, but will be BUYING it asap. I will be using a Mac and a laptop, which means I will have to buy the program separately for both formats. Which I understand but is frustrating.
Follow me on Twitter: @_Lionwalker

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 07:40:28 PM »
Yeah, I keep thinking whether to get Norton Anti Virus for my android, which I resent having purchased it already for my lap top.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 07:40:48 PM »
[MOD VOICE] We have a very strict policy here of NOT advocating piracy in any shape or form. Especially not when you are using specific examples. Stop now, or face a ban. That means EVERYONE.[/MOD VOICE]

Is there a safe way of knowing where's the line between discussing a relevant theme and advocating piracy? Would there be a warning? Or would the continuing of this discussion be like walking into a minefield, where a single misstep could result in the unleashing of the banhammer?

We don't ban people without warnings. :) You always get at least one warning.

Offline Lionwalker

• Auror
  • Schmoking Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 07:41:56 PM »
Yeah, I keep thinking whether to get Norton Anti Virus for my android, which I resent having purchased it already for my lap top.

Haha, never even considered that you might need anti-virus software for smart phones.. :)

[MOD VOICE] We have a very strict policy here of NOT advocating piracy in any shape or form. Especially not when you are using specific examples. Stop now, or face a ban. That means EVERYONE.[/MOD VOICE]

Is there a safe way of knowing where's the line between discussing a relevant theme and advocating piracy? Would there be a warning? Or would the continuing of this discussion be like walking into a minefield, where a single misstep could result in the unleashing of the banhammer?

We don't ban people without warnings. :) You always get at least one warning.

Like David Tennant's Doctor Who :)

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 07:44:29 PM »

Haha, never even considered that you might need anti-virus software for smart phones.. :)

I need it for my smart phone too?  Damn! I was just taking about those two droids I bought from the jawas this morning.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Lionwalker

• Auror
  • Schmoking Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 07:46:52 PM »

I need it for my smart phone too?  Damn! I was just taking about those two droids I bought from the jawas this morning.

Those Jawa's are dodgy buggers. Put a restraining bolt on them! and, I've never had a smart phone, so I have no clue about them. I'm about as tech savvy as a lichen growing on a tree in Borneo.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 07:49:21 PM »

Those Jawa's are dodgy buggers. Put a restraining bolt on them! and, I've never had a smart phone, so I have no clue about them. I'm about as tech savvy as a lichen growing on a tree in Borneo.

Oi!  I resent the implication that lichen native to Borneo is not tech savvy.  Just because the lichen comes from Borneo does not make it any less tech savvy than the lichen that grows in say Europe.  I demand the ban hammer!
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Lionwalker

• Auror
  • Schmoking Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 07:53:36 PM »

Oi!  I resent the implication that lichen native to Borneo is not tech savvy.  Just because the lichen comes from Borneo does not make it any less tech savvy than the lichen that grows in say Europe.  I demand the ban hammer!

Actually, I've been to Borneo so can say that the lichens I met had no idea what to do with my camera when I asked them to take a photo of me. :P Although, I must admit I haven't tried the same experiment with european lichens. And I never claimed European lichens were more tech savvy. Why are you assuming that? :P

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 07:53:55 PM »

Really? What did you want me to ban you for? ;D

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 07:55:49 PM »

Actually, I've been to Borneo so can say that the lichens I met had no idea what to do with my camera when I asked them to take a photo of me. :P Although, I must admit I haven't tried the same experiment with european lichens. And I never claimed European lichens were more tech savvy. Why are you assuming that? :P

So you were actually attacking an entire species?  That is even worse!  And you can't make an assumption based on a one off experience.  An orangutan actually ate my camera when I was in Borneo, does that mean all orangutans are not tech savvy? 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 07:56:23 PM »

Is there any link between Banhammer and Warhammer?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Lionwalker

• Auror
  • Schmoking Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 07:58:03 PM »

So you were actually attacking an entire species?  That is even worse!  And you can't make an assumption based on a one off experience.  An orangutan actually ate my camera when I was in Borneo, does that mean all orangutans are not tech savvy? 

That orangutan obviously had a stomach problem and needed to have a look inside. So he used to perform a self-endoscopy. That's very tech-savvy.

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 08:00:29 PM »

Is there any link between Banhammer and Warhammer?

Could be, we are all geeks here. ;)

Offline Seven

• This user has been banned
  • Night Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 08:06:46 PM »
EDIT: unfortunately the censorship here means I have to delete the post I was typing as apparently 20 new replies were being made. Regardless, I will say that you did not change my mind and I have no reason to feel guilty for anything. It's a shame this place censors even opinions instead of just posts that include information on how to file share, but stupid and immoral rules are rules.